Plasti Dipped Lumia 920

Len2K620

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So, I was on vacation dropped my phone and cracked the screen (Thanks a lot St. Martin)... Bought the screen and digitizer and took it upon myself to replace it. Since the new screen doesn't have the ATT logo and just the Nokia logo I figured the warranty is no longer valid (at least through ATT), so why not mess around with the phone and plasti dip it! Here are the results... Best thing of all is that the paint can be removed really easy if I want to revert back to white but not that easy that it will rub off with normal use :-D Let me know what you guys/gals think :-D
V__3BA7.jpgWP_000022.jpgWP_000023.jpgWP_000026.jpgWP_000028.jpgWP_000035.jpgWP_000036.jpgWP_000037.jpg

Len2K620

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Plasti Dip is a special paint used alot in the automotive scene, they use it for the emblems/rims and even the entire car. The real purpose of Plasti Dip is to add a rubber coating to your tools and stuff... :)

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Awesome colour. You probably could have found a way to cover up the camera strip and the LED before painting??? - Maybe then the end result would have been better?
But still, looks awesome.
Just curious, can you please post the link from where you bought the screen and digitizer and a link of the installation process please.
Thnx

EDIT: Did you get the tools with the screen digitizer or did you buy it - if the latter, a link please. :smile:
Sorry for asking so much from you, just curious. Thnx

Len2K620

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
1) I covered the lens and led with frog tape (painters tape) so yeah... Plati Dip is not like your regular paint is really a rubber so it wasn't easy removing the frog tape without lifting the edges a little...
2) E-Bay search for Lumia 920 Screen & Digitizer, I paid 52 bucks and took about 2 weeks to arrive (since is coming from China) but the screen is legit (even if it wasn't it feels legit lol)
3) The installation of the screen can be found on youtube... search for Lumia 920 screen replacement Nokia Lumia 920 Digitizer Glass & LCD (TFT) Display Replacement - YouTube
4) The sellers on ebay usually send out the tools for free but I got the iFix tools kit which brings all the necessary tools I need (expect for a heat gun which you will need to warm up the adhesive, that and the iFix kit i got for X-Mas last year :) )
5) Is okay to ask questions man we are here to help each other out and thanks for the constructive criticism :-D...

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Might just be because the picture is slightly noisy, but what's the texture like on the final product? It *looks* from those pictures like there's a texturing or a slight dimpling on the final thing... is there?

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Man, that's awesome. My son constantly bugged me to let him plasti-dip parts on his(read:MY car) 2007 Subaru Impreza and I was hesitant. Now that I've seen what it looks like, I decided to plasti-dip my all of my chrome emblems and gold bowties on my '11 Chevy Tahoe. Looks great!

In this pic you can see the front bowtie has a rock ding and water damage.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The texture is rubbery/grainy like a grip...

How many coats did you do? From the looks of it, you sprayed it on pretty thick. On my Tahoe, I did 6 light coats with 15-minutes dry times between each coat. It results in a much smoother finish.

Last edited:

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm familiar with plasti-dip from the automotive scene. I absolutely love that green colour on your 920. Brilliant work!!

N7: I love that black Chevy logo. GM really needs to add the mid to late 90's outline style Chevy badges as an option rather than the modern era gold ones. Much sportier looking.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Man, that's awesome. My son constantly bugged me to let him plasti-dip parts on his(read:MY car) 2007 Subaru Impreza and I was hesitant. Now that I've seen what it looks like, I decided to plasti-dip my all of my chrome emblems and gold bowties on my '11 Chevy Tahoe. Looks great!

In this pic you can see the front bowtie has a rock ding and water damage.

[url]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u13/n7slc/Plasti-dip/Bowtie_Front_Before_zps03515580.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u13/n7slc/Plasti-dip/Bowtie_Front_After_zps2904bfba.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u13/n7slc/Plasti-dip/Tahoe_Before_zps1237bbc7.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u13/n7slc/Plasti-dip/Tahoe_After_zps8f3f61fe.jpg[/URL]

Off topic, but what program or whatever did you use to put white on the license plate so we don't see it, as I need to send a screenshot, but white or black out my personal information?

I have a Mac FYI. :(

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
1) I covered the lens and led with frog tape (painters tape) so yeah... Plati Dip is not like your regular paint is really a rubber so it wasn't easy removing the frog tape without lifting the edges a little...
2) E-Bay search for Lumia 920 Screen & Digitizer, I paid 52 bucks and took about 2 weeks to arrive (since is coming from China) but the screen is legit (even if it wasn't it feels legit lol)
3) The installation of the screen can be found on youtube... search for Lumia 920 screen replacement Nokia Lumia 920 Digitizer Glass & LCD (TFT) Display Replacement - YouTube
4) The sellers on ebay usually send out the tools for free but I got the iFix tools kit which brings all the necessary tools I need (expect for a heat gun which you will need to warm up the adhesive, that and the iFix kit i got for X-Mas last year :) )
5) Is okay to ask questions man we are here to help each other out and thanks for the constructive criticism :-D...

I think you could have gotten away with NOT masking the camera lens. Once Plastidip dries, then you can use an exacto knife to initiate a cut where the lens is. From there you peel the rest off by hand to get a cleaner edge.

Look at the Plastidip My Car Youtube videos. The guy does the same type of thing. Some surfaces you do have to mask, but the lens cover looks to be tightly sealed enough.

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi Len2K620,

So you only replaced your screen and digitizer, and your main display (your lcd screen) was fine?
I'm a lil confused with the screen, digitizer, lcd. What's all those stuff. I thought the screen means the entire front screen stuff which you replace in one piece.
And did you buy the double sided sticker stuff?
Some info on this please. Thnx

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
That does look good. I'm also familiar with the Plasti-Dip. I did my car grill with it. Not sure I would want that coating on my phone. Actually, I'm pretty sure I would not. Have also found it doesn't have a very long lifecycle on items that get lots of contact.

For anyone thinking about running out and doing this I would urge caution.

Len2K620

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If your screen cracks (like mine did) and your display is still functional (i.e. LCD itself did not crack/bleeds ink) then all you have to do is replace the glass screen (technically since the digitizer still works, i.e. The screen is still responsive to touch) but it is a lot easier (and i didn't find just the glass without the digitizer) to replace the glass and digitizer, lucky for us that own the 920 the glass/digitizer/lcd assembly are not completely bonded together like the 900 and other models (like the 928) so it makes it possible to just replace the glass/digitizer and not having to pay for a brand new LCD and frame... All that is really needed is a heat gun / hair drier to loosen up the adhesive. The adhesive came with the screen...

illitero

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Awesome. I am very much inspired to try that; perhaps in the same color, even. I knew about plastidip, but completely forgot about it. Before now I was just entertaining the thought of buying a different housing for the effect, but green is pretty sweet haha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Usher2hell