PlayStation has beaten Xbox to this long-awaited cloud gaming feature

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Jez, what's the use case for this? I would think, but maybe wrongly, that the number of people who both buy a game and then would prefer to play it via streaming rather than locally is tiny. No?

For the person who owns a gaming system and has paid full price for the game, I would expect he or she would rather play locally for the improved performance compared with streaming. Maybe occasionally while travelling there would be good opportunities for playing those owned games, but while on the road, casual games tend to be a better fit (simply because big Xbox and PS games tend to draw play for hours at a time, and road warriors rarely have hours to play).

And for the person who doesn't own a gaming system, they're unlikely to want to buy the game in the first place.

So this seems a very niche application: PS5 game owners who travel a lot and like to play their PS5 games while on the road instead of casual mobile-friendly games.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Reactions: RoguePine

RoguePine

Jun 7, 2023
Visit site
Jez, what's the use case for this? I would think, but maybe wrongly, that the number of people who both buy a game and then would prefer to play it via streaming rather than locally is tiny. No?

For the person who owns a gaming system and has paid full price for the game, I would expect he or she would rather play locally for the improved performance compared with streaming. Maybe occasionally while travelling there would be good opportunities for playing those owned games, but while on the road, casual games tend to be a better fit (simply because big Xbox and PS games tend to draw play for hours at a time, and road warriors rarely have hours to play).

And for the person who doesn't own a gaming system, they're unlikely to want to buy the game in the first place.

So this seems a very niche application: PS5 game owners who travel a lot and like to play their PS5 games while on the road instead of casual mobile-friendly games.

Am I missing something?
true
the point of cloud gaming at this moment is in the limbo. nobody knows who is the target market right now to invest in such a costly market. is it console gamers? gamers with no consoles or high-end PC? gamers on the go like mobile devices? in any case handheld consoles such as Steam Deck or Rog Ally are much better options for portability. they may not offer PS5 games but they are powerful and include most games in any genre you like, also a lot of PS exclusives are coming to PC, so it's another hint.

Reactions: GraniteStateColin

Jennifer Young

Staff member
Mar 15, 2023
www.windowscentral.com
I would say I use the Cloud 50% of the time I game, and have completely games wholly on the cloud. It's a lifesaver living in a houseful and not ncessarily having access to the television when you want it. Whether I own the games on my console or not I don't always have the luxury of being able to actually play them on it – thats the target market here, gamers who want to pick up and play anywhere.

Cmndr_Bytes

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
I would say I use the Cloud 50% of the time I game, and have completely games wholly on the cloud. It's a lifesaver living in a houseful and not ncessarily having access to the television when you want it. Whether I own the games on my console or not I don't always have the luxury of being able to actually play them on it – thats the target market here, gamers who want to pick up and play anywhere.
I travel for my company at times and visit my dad on the weekends. It's always nice to be able to connect to gamepass on my iPAD and play some of my games in the downtime/when my dad is sleeping.
Is it as good as it is on the console? No, but it certainly scratches the itch. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz