Poll Results: WP to beat iOS

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has the ability to come out on top but they have to pull from their strong markets business and gaming.

WP make it business friendly imagine WP + Active Directory support. Domain sign on BAM all your corp contacts, e-mail, apps are all setup for you.

Gaming put out more waypoints, make a Halo Gears and Forza game and BAM get those Live gamers to switch over.

Keep improving services Zune and Skype

It will take a couple of years but come on it can for SURE beat Android and Blackberry iOS can be done but needs more time.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
You also have to consider Windows 8 unified platform. Once businesses start using Windows 8 and people learn to utilize Live Tiles etc people will jump over to the Windows phone platform.

I say 3 - 5 years focus on beating Blackberry then Android

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I can give you a devil's advocate position on why iOS/Android is better then WP7. The primary reason iOS is better is with folders you can fit a TON of app shortcuts on the first page of the homescreen. With WP7 you can only fit several app shortcuts on the first page, the rest you have to swipe down or go to the app list. It's going to be hard to convince people why they should accept less app shortcuts on the first view.

a ton? The max per folder is like 8.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The argument would be that hundreds of millions of people using iOS/Android have no UX issues with rows of pretty icons. Sure you can make the case for the WP7 live tiles/typography/integrated hubs. The social network timeline is a wonderful achievement in software engineering alone. My initial motivation for wanting to go to WP7 is I don't want to be one of the iClones. But the more I research the platform, the UI, the workflows the more I fell in love with.

For now I'm holding off on the Focus S or Focus Flash, waiting to see what will be unveiled in NYC this week. I need to see more.

How can you assume that because a consumer purchased iOS or android are totally happy? I've used both and got tired of looking at a boring homescreen of icons or taking so much time out of my day arranging widgets and dealing with certain after effects of those tweaks such as lag. Its okay to have opinions but you are trying to run your opinions off as facts. Anybody can say they know people that don't like certain things

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Heh you dont need folders etc more folders becomes a bigger mess i realized this.

1st screen live tiles all notifications
2nd screen all apps you can easily search apps or search them by alaphetical order

What MS should do is allow users to group apps in the second screen while leaving the live tile screen alone that way people can get their notifications alot easier.

3 touch process greater than going through folders to find something

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
WP7 offers a smooth clean interface that IS customizable. The free app "new group" offers a slick way to categorize your start screen apps in any way you want. I don't like gobs of icons cluttering my screen either on my PC or my pocket device. WP tiles are live for many of my start screen selections so I can know at a glance if I need to go further.

25 GB of SkyDrive FREE file hosting beats apple's 5GB!
Voice integration that works well. Performance that doesn't NEED dual core battery hogs.

As for apps how many iterations of the same game do you need? Xbox live hmmm is that even available on IOs or Android?

Synergistic updates with social sites built in means one less app icon to hunt for.

Not being one of the mindless isheep or fandroids is in itself liberating. Don't knock it till you've tried it. WP is is here and will definitely make its mark!