Problem with Lumia 930 second microphone

bkkwp

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Update - Denim has fixed the microphone issue so Cortana hears me now. But whatsapp and adding a voice attachment to my SMS still doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas? Would a hard reset work?

bkkwp

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Just reset back to factory settings and the second mic STILL ISNT working. Recording a SMS msg, Onenote, and Whatsapp and talking on speakerphone don't work...I had enough and going back to the place of purchase for an exchange or refund.
will update!

bkkwp

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I received my phone back from repair, they advised they changed a few parts but didn't indicate a microphone. But I tested it and now the mic works.
Really disappointed that I had to take it back to repair but lucky that it was under warranty.

Once again I can sit in the toilet speaking to my girlfriend while on speaker.

alant7

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm also having problems with the microphones not working when I am on speakerphone. However, Hey Cortana and video recording with audio both work fine. I just updated to the latest 14234 OS update yesterday. I also ran a complete self test on my 930 with Nokia Care Suite. Everything passes the test. Is this microphone issue a software or hardware problem?

fdl3

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Nokia 928 with non-working secondary microphones. Still testing, but I suspect a software issue, not hardware.

The mics quit working shortly after upgrading to WP 8.1 DP. Prior to that, mics worked fine. Afterward: Cortana could not hear anything, speech to text could not hear anything, MS and Lumia Camera audio record only static.

On a whim, turned Cortana off, rebooted phone (as requested), and secondary mics work again.

However, first time use MS Camera to record video, only static. And mics stop working again.

Reboot seems to fix. Lumia Camera seems not to kill mics.

More testing.

WP: 8.1 Update - Denim
Firmware: 3051.50009.1446.0093

jyasin

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting test. I tried it but couldn't duplicate results. Please continue updating us if you find anything. Thank you

fdl3

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The mic comes and goes. Sometimes it will work in SMS, and sometimes not. It seems to work more times than not since I turned Cortana off. This is a slight improvement in that it works sometimes (as opposed to never previously! 😏). It still works in Lumia camera. I still think it is a software glitch. Testing continues.

jyasin

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
For the love of God. Has anyone found a solution to this problem. Do you want me to beg OK I beg you. 😩

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jmc160

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi folks,

Had my second Lumia 930 about a week now (first one was 3 days old when it bricked itself) and I've noticed a very similar issue..

I've been testing speakerphone and Skype with my wife and she can't hear anything coming from my end, so it appears as if there's no audio for this part.

If I test the mic by recording some video, then I do get audio, but it's very quiet.

I've tried adding a voice note in OneNote, and it doesn't appear to be working at all there either. All I get is a bit of static.

Cortana, however, doesn't seem to be having any issues. It's tested fine, and it looks like it hears (and understands) me when I just speak normally.

I believe I already have the Denim update, although if someone wants to tell me the version number I'll be happy to confirm this. I've tried soft and hard resetting the phone, and I've reset it via the Lumia Recovery Tool too. Nothing seems to have had any impact on this issue.

The next step for me I think (unless someone can recommend something else) is to send the phone back to the carrier for repair/replacement, which I hate doing :(

ETA: Just done a little more testing on this...

If I run the MS camera, then I don't get any audio at all except maybe some static. I can't hear my voice at all. However Lumia Camera behaves slightly differently. Using the Lumia Camera with its default settings, it is able to pick up audio but not much. I can hear my voice but it's very quiet. BUT if I change Lumia Camera's video settings to record with Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound, then I get much better quality audio.

I'm still confused though, and I have no idea what this means in terms of figuring out whether this is hardware or software related.

Last edited:

Putu Oka

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue with this. When i call in speaker mode my talk friend didn't hear me. i'm very disappointed with this. no wonder most people prefer buy iphone and samsung. i come here just for camera.

i'll do denin update if it's not fix the problem will take it to nokia care. will update in this thread later

I'm also having problems with the microphones not working when I am on speakerphone. However, Hey Cortana and video recording with audio both work fine. I just updated to the latest 14234 OS update yesterday. I also ran a complete self test on my 930 with Nokia Care Suite. Everything passes the test. Is this microphone issue a software or hardware problem?

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm convinced this is a software issue. I spent several hours last night messing around with this. I found that if I installed either Lumia Camera Beta or Classic and went into settings and turned the surround sound setting ON I get volume. Then I reboot my phone and I get audio when I record a video.

The problem is that it doesn't last. I didn't figure out all of the triggers but it would seem to randomly stop working. I know if I went and used the default MS app not only would I not get audio using the default app but it killed audio from the Lumia Camera Beta app and I had to do the process all over again.

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm convinced this is a software issue. I spent several hours last night messing around with this. I found that if I installed either Lumia Camera Beta or Classic and went into settings and turned the surround sound setting ON I get volume. Then I reboot my phone and I get audio when I record a video.

The problem is that it doesn't last. I didn't figure out all of the triggers but it would seem to randomly stop working. I know if I went and used the default MS app not only would I not get audio using the default app but it killed audio from the Lumia Camera Beta app and I had to do the process all over again.

I guess u are right!!!! I just got a 930 a week back nd i found this issue just today....Tried shouting near the speaker on top of the phone nd it does record vsound in whatsapp,skype,recorder and ms camera app. So ,as it gets sound when shouting near the microphone shudnt it mean that it is just a software problem? i mean if the microphone aint functional it shudnt be able to record at all right?

ursmurali

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the Lumia 930 (TW firmware) from Ebay US with no warrenty and got it shipped to India via a friend.

Status of Secondary Mic :

- Phone purchased in Oct 2014 with Cyan update : Working
- Pre denim update till Jan 1st week : Working
- Post Denim update after Jan 1st week : Stoped working in speaker mode in all the apps(onenote,watsapp,skype,sound recorder).

Rather would say recorded sound with very very low volumn, barely would be able to listen if I spoke on top of my voice.

Lumia camera would record sound cleary now and then but never consistant.
<EDIT> will always work in Landscape mode and not when in vertical mode. seems different set of mic are invoked when in landcape mode.

Based on the various forum Tried following :

- Soft reset : Did not work
- Hard reset : Did not work

- Flashed latest OS with Lumia recovery tool : Did not work
- Flashed latest OS with MS recovery tool : Did not work
- Updated to Windows 10 mobile : Did not work

- Flashed with UK firmware denim version
(For someone it resoved it with UK denim update): Did not work
- Flashed with TW Cyan
(This is how I got it out of the box) : Did not work
- Flashed with TW denim version : Did not work

Not sure if it is a Software and Hardware issue But seems the Denim Software update screwed up something in the mic hardware.

Since I got the phone with no warrenty dont know if Nokia-->Microsoft care will repair it free/for money.

Last edited:

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I am having a very similar problem. I have a Lumia 930, using it on AT&T in the US, and recently I noticed the following issues:

1) When on a call and enabling Speaker phone, no one can hear me
2) When recording video and playing it back via a TV or PC, the audio does not play back in stereo - I can only hear audio from the right speaker.
3) Cortana and system voice dictation (i.e., emails, SMS messages) DOES WORK

I purchased the Lumia 930 back in February 2015, and all was working until recently. I believe it stopped working as soon as I updated the phone to 8.1 Update 2. Either that, or I had to do a hard reset because I accidentally had Windows Insider enabled and it tried to update to Windows 10. I couldn't back out of it, so I had to reset the phone, and I noticed the issue after that occurred.

Thoughts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen