Rage Post towards... not MS, but Mobile Users.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
@fatclue_98 Certainly I am upset. I also am wishing MS would take a good position in mobile market and made it their priority as they did with Windows or Office in general. And, regrettably, I do admit people do want to have everything up-to-date irrelevant of whether they need it or not. As I have mentioned, for some reason we do not see too many complaints when we see iOS release say 9.0, and oh look, iPhone 4 is no longer supported. If I recall, the life cycle from iOS 9 to 10 was about a year if not less.The good thing is (which I wow to apple), apps that used to work on previous versions of iOS continue to work on later releases of the OS (at least that is what I have heard from a few friends of mine owning iPhone. However, truth be told, they swapped to newer model once they could so I can't objectively say whether their statement was due to new phone or their own impression :)). Can't say the same about Android or WM.

Microsoft pushed Windows Phone as a priority in their WP7-8 era. They spent billions trying to make Windows Phone a viable contender to iOS and Android. It wasn't the fact that they didn't try, the market just didn't take to the phones. It also showed that to a large degree, the people writing apps are controlling the destiny of any would-be mobile platform. A platform will live or die by the availability of apps, and even a company as large as Microsoft couldn't throw enough money at some app developers to get their apps on Windows/WP.

I still carry my Lumia day to day, but it's hard to see any way that the platform will ever be relevant in the market, despite anything any actions MSFT could take.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
It wasn't the fact that they didn't try, the market just didn't take to the phones.
The market share is not all about the market share in the US, or is it though? In my country I still see Windows phones quite often, even though they used to be more popular in the 8.1 era.

A few weeks ago when I received a fast-delivery parcel from the national post service I was asked to sign the confirmation on a 930. Just my 2 cents.

Other than that I can somewhat understand OP's frustration, but some people take it personally since they've invested in the platform and paid for flagship phones for a reason (big promises for Continuum upgrades), not to mention that they (including me) lobbied for Windows phones in their families. I had 2 relatives asking me why their Skype isn't working on their unsupported Windows Phone 8.1 phones. I ended up offline upgrading one of those phones to Treshold 1, still need to push it to RS2. And oh, 80% of Windows phones ran Windows Phone 8.1 that is now unsupported.

At this time, I wouldn't suggest anyone buying a Windows phone either except if they got a really good deal or understood exactly what the situation is like with apps and the feature2 thing. Especially if the phone they would be looking to buy would cost more than 250€. While I still like my 950, I somewhat regret buying it since I pushed back my due to upgrade for about a year (gotta stick with it until 2018). I had big hopes for Continuum improvements and I got it for a reasonable price. Oh well, I hope MS does push UWP in the following months since the majority of banking (and other) apps are written for iOS and Android only, even though there are PC/tablet users who would prefer to use UWP apps instead of a website.

But we're Windows phone users, we all say we don't need apps until we try Android or iOS.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The market share is not all about the market share in the US, or is it though? In my country I still see Windows phones quite often, even though they used to be more popular in the 8.1 era.

A few weeks ago when I received a fast-delivery parcel from the national post service I was asked to sign the confirmation on a 930. Just my 2 cents.

Other than that I can somewhat understand OP's frustration, but some people take it personally since they've invested in the platform and paid for flagship phones for a reason (big promises for Continuum upgrades), not to mention that they (including me) lobbied for Windows phones in their families. I had 2 relatives asking me why their Skype isn't working on their unsupported Windows Phone 8.1 phones. I ended up offline upgrading one of those phones to Treshold 1, still need to push it to RS2. And oh, 80% of Windows phones ran Windows Phone 8.1 that is now unsupported.

At this time, I wouldn't suggest anyone buying a Windows phone either except if they got a really good deal or understood exactly what the situation is like with apps and the feature2 thing. Especially if the phone they would be looking to buy would cost more than 250€. While I still like my 950, I somewhat regret buying it since I pushed back my due to upgrade for about a year (gotta stick with it until 2018). I had big hopes for Continuum improvements and I got it for a reasonable price. Oh well, I hope MS does push UWP in the following months since the majority of banking (and other) apps are written for iOS and Android only, even though there are PC/tablet users who would prefer to use UWP apps instead of a website.

But we're Windows phone users, we all say we don't need apps until we try Android or iOS.
It's not so much that we don't need apps, it's that some of us don't use as many or just don't need them. For example, I don't have any Twitter, Snapchat, WhatsApp or Instagram accounts. I don't deposit checks through an app, I've never used Uber and I use plastic for purchases 95% of the time and cash the other 5%. I do miss eBay, PayPal and BBM - those are my most longed for apps to return (yeah, right).

I'm sure there are many like me that can get by with little to no issues. But to totally brush off Android or iOS is pretty ignant.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital