[Real Users] My Lumia 830 Review

TimnMelinda

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Wife and I both went with 830 models and could not be happier!
We are still learning and finding new things with them all the time!
For us, I think they were the perfect choice!

Luismi22

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Ironically I made my wife bought a iPhone 6 😅 because I used to have iPhones and then I bought this 830 and now I'm telling her to change to windows...anyways let's see what I end up doing.

gurrala74

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, thank you for your kind suggestions. I bought a 830 a week back and really enjoying with it. Its really an amazing phone !!

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
First day with my new, green 830! Just arrived this afternoon. First impressions:

Style: 10
Performance: 9
Build/Feel: 10
Camera: Main 9, Front 7

Will follow up after I've had some time with it!

Edit: Unlocked RM-985 with LTE on AT&T

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
To anyone using it currently: Does the 720p resolution hurt on the screen size of this thing?

I haven't noticed anything yet. I have the 1320 which also has a 720p screen at 6", and that one is slightly noticeable. You might notice a difference if seen directly next to a M8

Julian Williams2

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I've gone from an 800 on WP7.5 through an 820 to my 830 on WP 8.1 Denim. I've also gone through the 830 bugs and issues forum on this site and fortunately had virtually zero issues. In all honesty, the 830 is the best phone I've so far owned. The biggest thing to get used to was the difference between an AMOLED and LCD screen, especially with my night time glance screen dependency. But what separates this phone from my past ones is the design, size and (lack of) weight. Very, very rarely, notification alerts are distorted and I had to take off some live tiles (including the Cortana one) to get smooth scrolling on the start screen. Everything has a limit I guess. The 830 battery is superior but maybe because it's bigger. Longest battery life with general usage including glance on during the night - 2 days. One charge generally lasts a day and a half. Average discharge rate 4%, up from my 820's 3.5% but maybe apps are continually getting more sophisticated and demanding. Away from glance (LCD is backlit, AMOLED not), the screen is as sharp as I need - excellent colour reproduction. Call reception is absolutely pin sharp and of course the WP operating system continues to improve and please. The camera is better - not a major upgrade but enough, although the Denim update does make a significant difference. Game performance is about the same as my 820. No better, no worse (people who compare 930 to 830 game performance are the one's with unrealistic expectations and negative reviews). Conclusion: This is a beautiful phone and a worthy upgrade in the 800 series. You will not be disappointed. Naturally, if you downgrade from a 925, 930 or Icon then of course you'll notice performance lapses. But those kind of comparisons do not make any sense and are best ignored. I love my 830. With micro sd card slot and removable battery. And I look forward now to Windows Phone 10 which is a software thing.

anon5658834

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello all 830 users. Today I won an Ebay bid for a Lumia 830 in white for ?183 from a seller in UK with 100% feedback!! Was really pleased with that sale can't wait to get the handset!! The phone is new but under New(other) as he opened the box and turned the phone on to test it works. He didn't want to keep it

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello all 830 users. Today I won an Ebay bid for a Lumia 830 in white for ?183 from a seller in UK with 100% feedback!! Was really pleased with that sale can't wait to get the handset!! The phone is new but under New(other) as he opened the box and turned the phone on to test it works. He didn't want to keep it

Great deal! Is this your first Lumia?

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been on these forums in a while (been getting busier with my hobby of making music :grin:) but I thought I'd come back and give my thoughts since I've had my 830 for a month now.

So, my 920 had been slowly dying and finally gave up one day and I was stuck on AT&T, so I had limited choices. I tried the 1520 and didn't like the size, the 635 seemed too underpowered for me, which left it between the 830 and the M8. I really couldn't decide which to get because the 830 has a little bit more powerful camera and is Nokia, which pretty much guarantees good support, but the M8 has that fancy 801 SoC and a faster camera until the 830 get the actual Denim update (right now it just has the update that says it's Denim but doesn't actually enable the new camera tricks yet). After messing around with them both in store, I didn't like either the on-screen buttons or the general feel in hand of the M8 and the 830 felt amazing. The M8 kinda disappeared in my hand and I felt like I couldn't hold on to it, and the 830 definitely felt like I was holding a very nicely designed phone. Maybe I'm just used to holding the massive 920. The 830 really does feel amazing, though.

Performanc-wise, the 830 is nothing to write home about. Within receiving the phone, I almost immediately loaded it down with all my apps and music and filled out my start screen (two screens worth of apps with 8 folders). It did take a noticeable hit in fluidity from this, but seems to run fine most of the time. I haven't noticed the stutter from scrolling up on the start screen due to the Cortana tile like some people have complained about, but I do get a resuming screen after pressing the start button fairly often, even if I empty my start screen to be bare-bones, which I don't understand. Switching between apps usually conjures up a resuming screen, too, but only for up to a second with the exception of MixRadio and Lumia Camera (Classic) getting longer resuming times. I'm sure that I don't have a very friendly set up to the processor, and I tend to use my phone sporadically and erratically, which I'm sure doesn't help, either. If I'm kind to it, it runs buttery smooth.

Another bug I've seen people talk about a lot is with the back button not being responsive. I have had this happen, but only once. I think. For the most part, I just miss the back button with my thumb because It's a little farther in from the edge of the phone than I'm used to.

The screen is very nice and I love the size of it. That extra .5" diagonal from the 920 is refreshing. It isn't stunning resolution, but I wouldn't bet you'd notice the pixels, either, unless you look closely, and animations flow nicely. the glass is kind of thin, and you can kinda get that wavy LCD effect on the edges of the display when you press hard enough. I can't comment on color reproduction.

The build quality of this phone is nothing less than what is to be expected as the last phone to carry the Nokia badge. The back cover fits flush with the metal edges and the little lip around the camera provides some decent protection to the oversized piece of glass. I've dropped it a couple times on concrete (and linoleum covered concrete), and there is zero visible damage. What I can't get over, though, is how nice this phone feels in the hand. I got to hold the 930 and some other phones in the MSFT store, and this feels the best, IMO. Even the buttons feel very nice and provide excellent tactile feedback. The first of the two stages of the shutter button is very shallow, but I've become really accustomed to this. It's almost like you just set your finger on the button and the phone knows your finger is there, ready to take a picture, and it focuses the camera.

I won't comment on camera speed because I'm not running Lumia Camera v.5 yet, but the quality is excellent both in pictures and video. I tested out the mics at the ice rink and it picked up that distinctive hockey skate sound in pristine quality (for a phone... starting to get close to a low end studio mic that I'm used to, but not quite there yet). I won't really say much about the speakers, either. They're phone speakers. Don't expect much out of them, but they play notification sounds loud and clear and that's all they need to do. The earpiece is really good, though, and I can hear the people on the other end of the line really well, even in less than ideal environments (walking down Montlake Blvd in rainy Seattle during rush hour with the phone in my hood) and people said they can hear me really well, too. Much better than on my 920.

This phone is generally considered a sidegrade from the 920, but I don't think I agree. It's an upgrade. A slight one, but still an upgrade. You get better battery life, an SD card slot, much better feel-in-hand, and a newer SoC without losing anything. It doesn't perform worse, it has all the same sensors and features (plus a few like miracast and surround sound recording). Sure, it isn't some amazing giant leap forward, but I don't quite understand how it's a sidegrade.

I could talk about this phone for days, so if there's anything else you'd like my opinion on, just let me know :)

gurrala74

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Its nearly a month using this phone and in one word, its amazing in every area. I feel its worth for money. Often many talk about its hardware is bit week with the processor and all but it never felt like that as the OS optimization goes, so it is not mid range flagship, but a true flagship phone and the last beauty with Nokia name on it

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
As an update to my pending review, I've had the 830 for 2 weeks. I feel that's enough for me to say that I really enjoy using this phone. I kept it as my daily driver for work. I don't use it for my work email, I get about 500 emails and there is no "mark all as read", so I just use it to take pictures for emails. The pictures come out pretty great. I sometimes switch to my Moto X, BlackBerry Q10 and then back, and the 830 has the better camera hands down. I haven't noticed any lag on it, I also own a L1320 on my private line and it works just as smooth.
Battery life is great so far as well, I play Halo on it when I'm bored and have free time or during lunch, and I still have 40% by the end of the day (10pm).
One thing I noticed is that the battery loses charge while the phone is off. I charged it to 100% at 11pm, turned it off and turned it back on at 6am with 96-98%. Not sure if its a glitch or not, but it did bother me. Still, I leave it on and fully charged at night and still have enough power for the next day. My 1320 can get me through 2 full days and the 830 about 1 and a half, so I'm pretty happy with it.
The build is nice, I like the feel of it in my hand and the screen is perfect for the use I give it.
Would really recommend this phone if you get a good price for it, I paid 370 USD on amazon, unlocked and works with LTE on ATT in my area, which to me is a good deal.

In conclusion, I'd rate it a 9/10. I feel that a 1080p screen would bring it up to a 10/10. I know the 930 has a 1080p screen and a similar feel/build, but prefer expandable storage.

EvgeniyV

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello all! I just changed my lumia 800 to 830. It's great! Swipe is fantastic. My next buy will be wireless charging. Please excuse my poor english

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello all! I just changed my lumia 800 to 830. It's great! Swipe is fantastic. My next buy will be wireless charging. Please excuse my poor english

I agree about "swype" - now when I see people typing on their iPhones it looks so slow and awkward! I also love the wireless charging. I found cheap "PowerBot" chargers on Amazon and they work great. I just wish there was a good wireless alternative for the car!

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Booted up my Ativ S after three weeks and boy oh boy, bottom line, so much for the 830 being a plausible "side-grade", in my case anyways. Until Demin comes to my 830 I won't know if it's the phones hardware or just buggy software, it's not horrible but enough that the quirks become annoying, already did a factory reset with no resolve but one thing that has vanished is the occasional random reboots, have no rhyme or reason as to why... Battery drain/charge issues, screen sensitivity issues, inconsistency in notification sounds at times, slow shutdown, slow camera, resuming issues and so on, own thee WPs with the Ativ S being tops (even with its ailments due to lack of a firmware update), 1020 second and bringing up the rear, my 830, definitely not what I was expecting.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254