reality check. wp is in big trouble

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I take full responsibility of this guys.

My support of Symbian led to its demise and since jumping ship and boarding the good ship WP with the world's most innovative smartphone, it looks like WP is on its way out too.

Sorry.

iPhone next! :)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If you think that Windows 8 has been well-received ... then we have nothing to discuss. It did nothing to slow down the decline in PC sales and is generally considered a failure. If you have statistics otherwise (e.g. WinRT app sales figures), I'd like to see them. Android alone will surpass Windows laptop shipments this year.

The aspirational devices I referred to above are *not* for the average consumer. They're marketing things to create a "buzz" around a product family in the higher-end crowd, which translates to higher sales and interest in the bread-and-butter lower end products of the family. There is no "buzz" around WP8 right now.

All the figures I've seen show WP8 holding below 5% market share (of course, I'm sure that WP8 has a huge share in important places like Madagascar and Estonia). If you don't think Android alone surpassing Windows this year is grave enough, AAPL's iDevice ecosystem exceeds MSFT's *entire* sales yearly and they have accumulated over $120B in cash or equivalents.

Smartphones *are* as expensive as a cheap laptop. The cost is hidden in the contracts. And for consumer markets you definitely need to make a product people like to "show off". You don't think that when you're in an airport or a restaurant and all you see are iDevices, that has no effect on the purchasing decisions of others??? The herd instinct is strong. In the past all you saw were Windows computers. When the average consumer wanted to buy a computer it was a no-brainer, you got a Windows machine.

I didn't make the original comment you're replying to but I somewhat agree. My wife has a 920 and my daughter has a GN2. I haven't compared the actual specs but the GN2 "feels" lighter than the 920. I'm sure it isn't but I've always thought the 920 felt "dense". My guess is that this is mostly a perception issue, we expect the larger GN2 to be significantly heavier but it isn't, so we think it is lighter. I have an HTC 8X, which feels as light as a feather and is an excellent machine. Everyone who holds it goes "wow".

You can PM for information on why I'm not just another internet "alarmist".

Dave my brutha, you are the only voice of reason on this thread and I can sense your blood pressure rising with each typo and grammar mistake. Let them vent, put on anything from the Prophet Marley and come back tomorrow.

Yah I was running late for church so I just tossed that one out there on my way out the door. These things can be exhausting at times. :cry:

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I think MS is aware they need Nokia. I'd like to think we all realize WP would be done without Nokia. I believe MS will do anything it can to keep Nokia heavily involved.

We just have to wait and see what this is all about and what happens.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I think MS is aware they need Nokia. I'd like to think we all realize WP would be done without Nokia. I believe MS will do anything it can to keep Nokia heavily involved.

We just have to wait and see what this is all about and what happens.

i think its true of all companies to some extent, apple would be nothing without the ipod and iphone, Sammy with android and Nokia with wp and wp with Nokia.

Alls going well from what i can see. But yeah only time will tell.

One things for certain, ms are too rich to let wp fail. Nokia are to smart to ditch it.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Who here believes windows 8 is being ill received? Who here believes Windows 8 is a failure?

I have a bridge to sell you.

Don't let analyst and THEIR estimates fool you. Although Microsoft kinda slowed their own sales by making Windows 7 so gosh darn good, this and add in enterprises upgrade cycle, anywho I'm rambling...

Declining PC sales have nothing to do with Windows 8. It's not just Android and IOS, although they're the beneficiaries.

Simple answer

Years ago most people connected to the Internet from their PC, nowadays it's via their mobile.

I can go on and on with financial data, I love it. However this thread isn't about that.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254