Running into 80188308 installing GDR1 or Pre Update

justinhow

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I understand this is system storage area - you can't even see this area in any apps that I am aware of - it is a sort of reserved for system use.

Sicarius123

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Joe Belfire (I think I spelled that right) acknowledged today a small amount of users are having this issue and it can't be fixed by doing it again. He says they are investigating it and aggressively working on a solution. Something to do with low system memory. Wpcentral has an article on it.
Except that isn't this update, that's the other one with the f in the code.

Rayanchat

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
i have the same error on my samsung ativ s which bought n use in italy i don't no whats going on more than 5 times its failed to update the phone same error please fix this issue soon as possible now i feel kinda fed up with windows phone :(

justinhow

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I go this error on my 920. A hard reset and restore allowed me to upgrade though - fairly drastic I know.

If you do this make sure you have a recent online backup of the phone - or just do one before you reset,

Michael Highley

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Running into Problem 80188308 installiing GDR1 or Pre Update

These instructions worked for me - Using Ativ S

I made a backup
Settings -> info -> reset
Didn't restore backup after restart
Install Preview for Developer
Update
Restore backup after restart

Followed these instructions and just installed the update successfully !
Wasn't keen on the hard reset but phone is working better than ever now!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree that Belfiore could be referring to total system phone memory, i.e. for the Lumia 1020 it's 32GB. Updated my Lumia 1020 to GDR1 with no problems 19 hours ago. I had 6.53GB free space.

PS: For some who might have tried to use the Live folders: after the update I noticed that my six (that's right, six) pinned weather apps grouped into a single live folder STOPPED UPDATING AUTOMATICALLY. I thought that this was caused by using the new live folders feature and that the GDR1 might be in BETA... until I tried rebooting my phone (turning it OFF and ON again) and voila all of my SIX weather apps are updating normally again. (For the record, I have 50+ apps pinned to the start screen in Live Folders, around 28 of which run in the background... so the number of pinned apps may have nothing to do with the background update issue.) So for those who may have the same issue after the update, just reboot your phone and hopefully that would resolve the problem.

macmelilla

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
These instructions worked for me - Using Ativ S

I made a backup
Didn't restore backup after restart
Install Preview for Developer
Update
Restore backup after restart

Followed these instructions and just installed the update successfully !
Wasn't keen on the hard reset but phone is working better than ever now!

Me too. Same mobile, Samsung ativ s in Spain.

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
If I remove my SDCard before resetting the phone, then afterwards stick it back in, will my apps all work again or will it confuse the phone ?

All my apps are installed to SDCard

EDIT - Nope, it thinks they came from a different phone, nice one

Last edited:

Arievl

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Like I posted in another topic:

"Hi everyone,

Like multiple users posted already, there seems to be a fix to the errors.

I got WP 8.1 with Cyan as a developer preview user, just before Microsoft halted the update because of the Bitlocker problem. Using Nokia Software Recovery I have downgraded my Lumia 625 (CV, Dutch) to WP 8.0 with Lumia Black. After that I got a minor update making my phone ready for 8.1 and the next update was the official "non-DevPreview" OTA 8.1, which came with Cyan.

Then I installed the developer preview app again and got the 8.1.1 update, which cleanly installed without the aforementioned error.

So I can confirm that downgrading a L625 to 8.0 with Lumia Black helps in getting the latest update. For the people who don't want to reinstall everything again: make an update before you do this procedure. After you get the 8.1.1 you can do a hard reset and reinstall the backup.

Oh, another thing: the 1,39 gigabyte update was downloaded twice by the Software Recovery tool before it 'caught on'. Seems to be a known hickup with the tool.

Ciao,
Arie"

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry guys..a hard reset is not really doing the trick for me and I bet a few others.. I want to keep my stuff and not loose it. .be it settings in apps, stats in apps, or apps that have been removed from the store

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok, back up from 8.0 Black > 8.1 Cyan > Downloading updates for 8.1.1, see how far I get this time

EDIT - Looks like its working this time - every single attempt before dowgrading to 8.0 would get to 16% and fail, now at 54% and going strong, thanks to "Arievl'

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DillonAngela