Sharing Apps between two accounts

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thurrott posted how to do this on W8, guessing there may be something similar that can be done on WP8. Not sure though and I have no need and therefore incentive to look in to it myself. Apps are cheap, and I'm not. My wife can purchase them herself.

http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-8...nts?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

That does not work with WP8, the store account is tied to the main account you setup initially and the only way to change it is wipe out the phone. The way they list is how IOS and android work.

Nophix

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
You know, I could almost agree with the arguments against app sharing, except I live in reality, where my wife and I refuse to double pay for games. Sorry, if I buy it and she wants to play it, I'm not buying it again.

I can share games across my consoles, Android devices, and IOS. WP8 doesn't offer it, so for now I just toss her the phone.

I pay for everything. If I jump on XBL and buy a game, why would I buy it again for her to play? That's ******ed.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

Nophix

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Btw, I'm on both sides of the fence. I'm an end user and a content producer, but I have to stand up for users on this one. Mostly, anyhow.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You know, I could almost agree with the arguments against app sharing, except I live in reality, where my wife and I refuse to double pay for games. Sorry, if I buy it and she wants to play it, I'm not buying it again.

I can share games across my consoles, Android devices, and IOS. WP8 doesn't offer it, so for now I just toss her the phone.

I pay for everything. If I jump on XBL and buy a game, why would I buy it again for her to play? That's ******ed.

How much do you spend on a console game? Is that console intended to be carried wherever you go? How much do you spend on a phone game? Is the generally intended use of a phone to be in the living room attached to a TV to be used by all, or to be in your pocket intended to be used by one?

Put another way - When you play that console game, how many installations can be used at once? If you install that phone game on more than one device illegally, how many installations can be used at once?

It's one thing to toss your wife your phone. It's one thing to share a $60 console game. It's another to steal a dollar game to install it on her phone, too. That one they call a crime.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

How do you play Halo 4 on two XBox's at the same time with one disc?

Nophix

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
The games on XBL can be played across any console my family XBL account is linked to. And when you invest as much in a mobile title as the companies making console games, you can charge that much.

I'm not saying its ok to pass it to anyone, but the family account is a good idea. Limit the total number, and only allow access from the linked acct.

Face it, most families are not going to double up on purchases on something like that intentionally.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Just wanted to double up on the thanks, guys - I appreciate the advertising. I've already been contacted by a couple of people who've downloaded a couple of my apps, who got the links from you. Thanks again. But of course, I don't want to be clicking your thanks buttons.... since I've got more thanks and likes in this thread than both of you...... LOL

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I don't have a dog in this hunt...just people were asking, so I did the legwork of a google search on your username and posted the links so I didn't have to read that same comment over an over.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to double up on the thanks, guys - I appreciate the advertising. I've already been contacted by a couple of people who've downloaded a couple of my apps, who got the links from you. Thanks again. But of course, I don't want to be clicking your thanks buttons.... since I've got more thanks and likes in this thread than both of you...... LOL

You bet. I’m always glad to help a starving developer. It's great that you're so active and contribute so much here.

FWIW, a spoonful of sugar sometimes helps people feel you’re hearing their point of view and not simply arguing against it. But you’re a grown fella – I trust you know that already. Thx, hopmedic.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm a grown fella. I do know that, msdung. And I have enough respect for 1) the law, and 2) other people's hard work to 1) not steal it, 2) not be proud of stealing it, and 3) not be a complete jerk about stealing it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The games on XBL can be played across any console my family XBL account is linked to. And when you invest as much in a mobile title as the companies making console games, you can charge that much.

I'm not saying its ok to pass it to anyone, but the family account is a good idea. Limit the total number, and only allow access from the linked acct.

Face it, most families are not going to double up on purchases on something like that intentionally.

I'm not saying that family accounts are a bad idea, nor that they shouldn't happen. But to give multiple people the same use of a phone app for the same price as a single person - no. Someone else in this thread made a suggestion that I thought had some merit, family accounts, increased cost, but ability to install on more than one device. That could be fair. But to just throw out a blanket "I should be able to share all my phone apps with my wife" no. Sorry. That's not what I signed on for as a developer, and when my wife and I buy apps, we don't compare notes and the thought of only paying once and trying to cheat the system to get both of us an app for the price of one never crossed our minds. We don't go to Ryans and order a single all you can eat plate with the intention of sharing it. It's the same thing.

Presently there are no family accounts on Windows Phone. So presently, there is no legal sharing of apps. Period. I'm a very black and white person. Very little gray. And this is one of those cases where the law would agree with me. There's no gray on this one.

Nophix

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
On a cheap app, we don't typically either. $1, $2, fine. But, with some games and apps topping $50 or more on some platforms, I'm not buying them twice, sorry, not would I expect a customer to do so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
On a cheap app, we don't typically either. $1, $2, fine. But, with some games and apps topping $50 or more on some platforms, I'm not buying them twice, sorry, not would I expect a customer to do so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Then I'd have to wonder if the game is worth the price, when you KNOW AHEAD OF TIME that you're only buying a license for the rights to use it on the devices that you use with your account, knowing that the terms of use of the account require that you not share the account. If it isn't worth the price for you to buy it for one user, knowing it is only for that one user, then it ethically speaking, the answer is to go without, not to buy one copy and steal it for everyone else. If one photographer can't afford a copy of Photoshop, he should do without, not pool his money with six photographers and make six copies of one licensed copy. You're talking about the same exact thing. They're both theft.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You actually can install on up to five WP devices, but my impression of this rule when they made that announcement was not for sharing, which we've already covered as both illegal and in violation of the terms of use of the account, but for the case of replacing devices. Get a new phone? Lose one? Warranty replacement? Reinstall the apps without having to call customer support. The thing that prompted the public announcement of this policy at the time was that there were questions about it for people who'd had to replace their phones.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2pretty4tv