SP3's On A Plane

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this, some great info.

I don't know if this is still the case with the SP3, but with my SP1 I found I often don't need the kickstand on a plane's fold out tray anyway. I had much success just resting the screen against the seat in front, which meant I could get the whole keyboard cover onto the tray. It may not have held up in serious turbulence but it seemed perfectly stable the times I used it.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this is still the case with the SP3, but with my SP1 I found I often don't need the kickstand on a plane's fold out tray anyway. I had much success just resting the screen against the seat in front, which meant I could get the whole keyboard cover onto the tray. It may not have held up in serious turbulence but it seemed perfectly stable the times I used it.

Till the person in the seat in front of you leans back all the way! :unhappy:

In coach, for me, at that point, it becomes impossible to use either laptops or, as in recent times, first the Surface 2 (RT) and now the SP3.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Till the person in the seat in front of you leans back all the way! :unhappy:

In coach, for me, at that point, it becomes impossible to use either laptops or, as in recent times, first the Surface 2 (RT) and now the SP3.

But with a laptop, no choice.

With the SP3 simply pull the keyboard of and flatten like I show in my pics above.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This is what I dont get about complaints about "lapability." yes you can use it better now with that extra hinge, but the fact that you can just negate the keyboard and go back all the way like what you did I think makes it a lot more lapable than some devices. You technically don't need to take off the cover, you could have just folded it back or just flipped it then fold down.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree sdreamer: this is one thing I find with the Surface range generally and Windows 8 too. People try to use it exactly like they would a laptop (or Windows 7) and in that way it doesn't always work as well (although I think Microsoft have worked hard to narrow that gap as much as possible) BUT the Surface range opens up a whole new range of ways that they can be used (because of their form factor, the pen, etc.) and you can often achieve exactly the same result but just in a different way.

Obviously laptops still have place, the Surface range is a different type of compromise and won't be the best compromise for some people, but I think there's a lot of stuff the Surface can do just as well and just as simply but in a different way and people (maybe just reviewers) aren't exploring those options.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I read one reviewer, couldn't remember who it was, but they were complaining about how akward it was to use the pen because you have to reach over the keyboard.... I think this was from maybe a tech blog or one of the higher viewed reviews on Youtube. Another reviewer complained for the same problem mozman had, but could not realize that they could just get rid of the keyboard. It's like they forget that you can use this just like a tablet and still get some work done as you would on a laptop, while using it as a tablet. Maybe it would help if MS just sold a smartcover without the keyboard so they could focus more on using it as tablet for laptop sorta work, then maybe they could stop complaining about how MS unbundles the keyboards (I read the SP1 was initially bundled, but customers wanted to be able to choose which keyboards they wanted, thus unbundled it).

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've taken to folding my keyboard under. In this picture I was setting up my desktop setup, and I'd taken the keyboard off, but since then I've decided that it's just easer to fold it under. When I'm doing my algebra homework, I move the keyboard aside, flip the keyboard section of the desk up so it is even with the desktop, and write on the tablet while reading the questions on one of the other monitors. I still need to do something with cabling, straightening things up, but you get the idea here. This picture was taken from a standing position, so it looks like a huge gap between the Surface and the monitors, but when sitting the perspective makes that gap look far less.

SurfaceSetup.jpg

EDIT: Yeah, I know - this doesn't have anything to do with Surfaces on panes - sorry. The comments above about flipping the keyboard back made me think of how I use my Surface, though.

Last edited:

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow, exemplary application of a screen protector :)

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Thanks. There's a small bubble on the left hand side driving me insane.

A320 EE Row window

Attachments

• IMG_20140721_154845.jpg
    IMG_20140721_154845.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 30

csjjjjjjjjjjj

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm flying tomorrow for the first time with the SP3, and I'm looking forward to it (vs my old laptop). The biggest advantage? I'll keep it out during the announced "no laptop" periods. I'll just remove the keyboard into the front pocket. Then when they announce that laptops and trays are okay, I'll snap it in.

Thanks for the pics all, good to see it'll fit on the tray.

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
ERJ175 bulkhead. Working on office docs while watching Breaking Bad

Attachments

• IMG_20140723_204502.jpg
    IMG_20140723_204502.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 24

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I fly twice every week and have been using my SP3 (currently listed on here for sale) for the past month. I'm stuck flying Delta where I have no status, so I'm always flying Economy Comfort. It's a lot better when I have a tray from the seat in front. The trays in the arm-rest suck because they're too narrow and too close to you. I usually have to have the type cover on the tray, and the kickstand resting on my legs.

I'm going back to my MacBook Pro. Probably a decision I'll regret, but o well...

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Awesome.
Did security check the SP3?

Most of the time no. Yesterday I did have an issue where they asked me to take out my "laptop" and I waved my ThinkPad in front of them saying I did take out my laptop, and what's in my bag wasn't a laptop. They then said my backpack was "closed too tightly", a comment which drew laughs from several other passengers, and they ran it through again in the bag.

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I fly twice every week and have been using my SP3 (currently listed on here for sale) for the past month. I'm stuck flying Delta where I have no status, so I'm always flying Economy Comfort. It's a lot better when I have a tray from the seat in front. The trays in the arm-rest suck because they're too narrow and too close to you. I usually have to have the type cover on the tray, and the kickstand resting on my legs.

I'm going back to my MacBook Pro. Probably a decision I'll regret, but o well...

If you fly twice a week, how come no status?

As for the fold out tray, my last pic, on the ERJ was a foldout. Was pretty comfortable. I can see going back though if you're doing some heavy typing. I haven't taken my ThinkPad out once since I got the SP3 though. I'm sure a time will come at some point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintchip