SP4 Micro SD appears as USB

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone come across this where in Explorer, the Micro SD card drive is recognised as if it was a USB drive? It's impacting me in weird ways such as I cannot set it as the default storage location for say new videos/photos (although I can move my library there). It's a 64gb Samsung Evo+ formatted in exFAT. I compared it to my Stronium MicroSD used in my Surface 3 (also 64gb and exFAT) and it appears as an SD card.

Ravi Sharma 2016

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I experienced the same when changing the default storage setting to place as much as possible on my Sandisk Ultra 128 GB SDXC Card. I could choose between the SP4 and the "USB" drive. As long as the functionality is working, I don't care what Mickey Mouse naming conventions are used.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
That's the thing I can't choose it in the default storage settings - I only got a similar result by 'moving' folders to the SDXC. Seems to cause issues with MS Edge and downloaded files/apps being unable to be found when I try to open them after downloading from within Edge.

sberti

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue with my Surface Pro 4. My SD card shows up in my File Explorer as USB Drive (D:).
In my "Default save locations", my SD card shows up as USB Drive (D:).
Even though the "Default save location" option is USB Drive (D:), I selected it for my "New Apps will install to:"
Then I tried to download the Audible app and it constantly came up with errors and would not install.
I contacted Microsoft Support. At first he just went though all the things he knew to try to get the app to install but nothing worked. Then I showed him the "USB (D:)" thing.
I changed it back to "This PC (C:). The Audible app installed just fine.
Since audiobooks are pretty big files, I wanted to install them on my SD card, so this sucks.
The Microsoft Support person had no solution for me to use my SD card.
If anyone knows any solutions for this, I'd be happy to hear them.

Tjalsma

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here. It's weird that my Lumia 640 handles SD cards better than the SP4. I tried installing games to it and certain features do not work - for instance, no game will allow me to connect to Xbox Live services.

Once I move the app back to internal memory, everything functions perfectly.

108dragon

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
Same issue here. I think I read somewhere that someone tried to install the realtek card reader driver from sp3 to make the sd card identified properly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz