• I?ll wait until upgrade and purchase a WP8 device

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • I don't care, I'm sticking with Windows Phone no matter what

Votes: 55 48.2%

• Total voters

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I've had WP7 since the Focus first came out. I liked the look and idea of the Lumia 900 so I got it. I had no illusions that it would get full Apollo. Apollo has higher hardware requirements, so there is only so much you can do with that. I think they'll update 7.5 with the features they can, but it's ridiculous to think that it will be able to do it all.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I will be sticking with because I will just by it off contract like I did with links 900

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft and Nokia have clear product development and support timeline. In fact most technology products from reputed companies do. They don't abandon the legacy products just like that. Based on the past experience, there is no reason to believe that MS/NOK will not provide future support. It may or may not be called WP8 Apollo, but I am pretty confident that there will be future software updates for the phones you are buying now.

wp_ish

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the word for the last year that Microsoft would bring tango to low end devices and we all expected it to run in parralel to mango. But.in reality, it is coming to all phones as a mango refresh. I imagine that the work to push the requirements down for emerging markets will not be left to die with one os update. I predict Apollo comes out and only works with new phones due to the new architecture and requirements. I also imagine we will see "tango" being updated concurrently with improved functionality for existing and emerging market handsets. Adding what they can and continuing to support at least some current hardware.

I honestly believe this more as a result of the 610 than the 900. Nokia is pushing hard to get low cost phones out and have made it clear that that is very important to them. I cannot imagine them not updating these phones. I do not expect full Apollo for current devices, but I do expect a subset of Apollo functionality.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of what happens, I'm at least using this 900 happily till the end of the year. I don't think Apollo is going to hit on dozens of devices and be fully rolled out till late late late or early next year anyway.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What are the other options? Android? iOS? Older WP7 devices? None of those are appealing to me, I'll thoroughly enjoy the 900 till end of year at least.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting response to the poll. Atlhough certainly not scientific, it's interesting to see that right now over 80% of respondents will stick with Windows Phone whether or not they have to cancel, upgrade or, no matter what. So, one would imagine that by not upgrading phones to WP8, Microsoft will upset some persons, but it won't entirely loose its base and stands to gain many. Maybe it's already considered that, or will consider that, when it decides on the upgrade path. As for me...I calmed down and now join the ranks that I'm sticking with the WP interface and if the HW is better (like more ppi), I'll sell my Lumia on Gazelle or Best Buy trade in and go with the newer HW and WP8. Is this a Burt Lancaster thing...you'll never pull my WP Phone from my stone cold hand!

You're thinking of Charlton Heston and the NRA...

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of amazing that close to 80% of respondents would allow Microsoft to go all Walter Sobchak on them on they'd just take it. At that point that's just rank fanboyism.

http://tiny.cc/4k00cw

For me it's not fanboyism. I'll be disappointed if MS leaves the 900/Titan 2 buyers out in the cold, but honestly, how many sgs2 buyers would go buy an iPhone if it turned out they weren't getting ICS? (pretend the custom rom option doesn't exist hypothetically) They still love their phone, and so do I. Nice poster, though. :)

dyne2199

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 900 2 days ago knowing that it most likely won't get Apollo, but I'm ok with that. As a former iPhone and Android user, I knew making this switch would be an easy one, even if Microsoft required completely new hardware to run Apollo. It's possible that Microsoft may push a pseudo-update to 1st and 2nd gen devices that would allow some of Apollo's features to be used, but if not, I'm not going to abandon Windows Phone. The UI is sleek, fast, fluid, and it just plain works the way I expect a smartphone to work. I don't regret making the jump at all. I've always been able to upgrade at my 12-month mark anyway, so as a worst-case scenario I'll just pick up an Apollo device next April. Until then, the Lumia 900 gets it done for me :-D

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I honestly believe this more as a result of the 610 than the 900. Nokia is pushing hard to get low cost phones out and have made it clear that that is very important to them. I cannot imagine them not updating these phones. I do not expect full Apollo for current devices, but I do expect a subset of Apollo functionality.
I agree.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
For me it's actually really easy.

Since Nokia didn't release the international version of the 900. I highly doubt they are going to release it since they haven't yet. Thus, I'm just going to wait for Apollo or by the time Nokia releases 900 international, Microsoft would let us know for sure if we can or not update to Apollo.

I'm still waiting for my first WP7 :blush:

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sanity folks. 7.x devices will continue to get updated for some time on that branch. It makes no sense to put Apollo on these devices as it requires UEFI, a new kernel, high-def display, multi-core and so on. Let your heart not be worried, we will get new software features on our Lumia 900s!

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's kind of amazing that close to 80% of respondents would allow Microsoft to go all Walter Sobchak on them on they'd just take it. At that point that's just rank fanboyism.

http://tiny.cc/4k00cw

Maybe they just try to have realistic expectations and accept there are things they just have no way of knowing or influencing.

Android sucks for OS upgrades worse than WP7 ever could on it's worst day and even iOS, the upgrade champion of the universe has it's issues, iOS 5 runs like crap on older phones. And neither Android nor iOS ever made as big a leap as 7.5 to Apollo is likely to be (completely different kernel)

We'll just have to see what happens. Anyone who thinks they are hurting Microsoft or Nokia by being one person who switches to another OS because their feelings got hurt is just stupid. If you think Android or iOS won't let you down at some point too, you've got another thing coming.

Why don't we all just wait and see what happens instead of planning how mad we are going to be at Microsoft and how we're going to "show them" by trading our WP's in for Androids immediately if they can't be updated to Apollo.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Maybe they just try to have realistic expectations and accept there are things they just have no way of knowing or influencing.

Android sucks for OS upgrades worse than WP7 ever could on it's worst day and even iOS, the upgrade champion of the universe has it's issues, iOS 5 runs like crap on older phones. And neither Android nor iOS ever made as big a leap as 7.5 to Apollo is likely to be (completely different kernel)

We'll just have to see what happens. Anyone who thinks they are hurting Microsoft or Nokia by being one person who switches to another OS because their feelings got hurt is just stupid. If you think Android or iOS won't let you down at some point too, you've got another thing coming.

Why don't we all just wait and see what happens instead of planning how mad we are going to be at Microsoft and how we're going to "show them" by trading our WP's in for Androids immediately if they can't be updated to Apollo.

Well said, I think many people are here because Android/iOS have ALREADY let them down. I have an android tablet that could easily run ICS and it was released the same year ICS came out. But I know I'm not getting it, that's Android. WP7, we'll see.

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
No big deal. By the time windows phone 8 comes out I will probably have changed phones at least once, if not twice. Can't help myself...

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Sanity folks. 7.x devices will continue to get updated for some time on that branch. It makes no sense to put Apollo on these devices as it requires UEFI, a new kernel, high-def display, multi-core and so on. Let your heart not be worried, we will get new software features on our Lumia 900s!

SUPPORTS different resolutions and multi-core, not requires. See how the words are different?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FegleyArnold