Still worth getting the 1520 now?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I got mine last week and it was worth it. Particularly if it is the 1520.3 version that has Qi and 32 GB of storage.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yep definitely require something larger, probably wait a bit for 1520 refresh. Have another contract and its a matter of either HTC M8 or wait for MS flagship when new OS drops next year.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It's always a good idea to check out the phone before you buy. Even if you're buying online, stop by an AT&T or Verizon or whatever it is and hold the 1520. I did and I loved the feel. Perfect size. I use two hands anyways. I had a little 520 with a 4 in.(or is it 4.5 in?) screen and I still did most of my reading/typing with two hands.
You can wait for a new phone, but my advice is to get this phone now. You can wait until October and find out that Microsoft has delayed the new flagship phone. And you can buy an M8 or an S5 now but if you're wanting a 1520 it's cheaper and you don't have to wait for a slightly upgraded model.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Definitely hold it first.

I held the 1520 on a Microsoft store a few months ago and was sure I wanted it which is the reason when I saw the low price in bhphotovideo I went for it with no hesitation.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
This device was released October 2013. With the 1525 rumor mill unclear if when the next one is released, I just don't want to have this device and less than 5 months the new one is here.

I'm on att if that matters.

I am in the same boat. I started with. A 920, that in eventually warrantied for a 925, loved it till it got soaked. I am now running a 520, and its driving me nuts.

I want something that will last spec wise, this certainly should. But I am just hesitant. The phone is big, but I don't mind, I rarely talk on mine.

I guess my biggest debate is i don't see anything coming out in the near future that is temping, but maybe Microsoft has something up its sleeve?

johnj2803

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm overwhelmed by your replies. I'm actually using the device now.

I had a galaxy s4 that had a sim tray problem that I had sent out for repairs under warranty.

Got the 1520 at the att store so I could use it while my phone is out for repairs with the intention of returning it before the 14 day period. I kinda liked the device unexpectedly.

That's why I'm just weighing the pros and cons of waiting and just get this for my upgrade.

So yes I can wait for the new one and use the s4 while waiting. Or use my upgrade for this one..

bigmoneymike

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, as far as Windows Phone hardware specifications go the 1520 will be in good shape for a long while. I mean, most of the WP phones in use today are running 512MB-1GB RAM, and single/dual core CPUs. I mean, I would venture to say that the 920/925 has a huge install base and you are looking at 1GB RAM and a dual-core Qualcomm S4 SoC running at 1.5Ghz. And, not to forget the 520. It is getting upgraded to WP 8.1. It's running 512MB and a 1Ghz CPU. So, I wouldn't worry so much about specifications.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The 1520 will stay up to date for a few more years at least. 2 GB RAM, 2.4(or 2.2...can't quite remember haha) GHz processing power. It's a beast and the benchmark tests shows it. There's no other Windows Phone that comes close.

Curtis Conley

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
The 1525 merely will have a newer chipset, the processor will have a negligible speed bump and another gig of ram which isnt really needed on a windows phone.
The 1525 may be several months away as well.
As far as having 32 gig of storage, this is a moot point since with windows 8.1 you can store apps on an sd card, I bought a nice samsung micro sd card 64 gigs for 34 dollars at micro center and went with the 16 gig model of the 1520 which I absolutely love.
Windows phones are not like android phones, the OS is very very efficient so extra ram would be a negligible improvement at this time.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I agree completely. As I've said, go for it. As it's stated above, the 1525 is just a slightly upgraded core. And you don't need to look far to see it's nearly pointless. The 520 runs as smooth as the 1520 does. It's only when you start playing games and using apps do you see how massively better the 1520 is.

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the wait camp. The 1525 maybe a good/significant upgrade in terms of 1520 production/design bugs. The 1525 may fix some/most of them. IMO I usually wait when I can. If this was an off contract pricing you would save $$. Also, IMO, after having a few devices, some device just work better. Sometimes the new hot devices are problematic. The first iPhone I saw had the user trying multiple times to swipe on screen. I definitely think it's ok to wait for 1520.3 as example (vs. 1520.1).

sreichling

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Since the price for the 1520 is falling it is becoming a great buy. As a TMO customer the only thing that has me waiting is, according to the spec sheets, no variants of the 1520 support LTE Band 12, which TMO is using to deploy LTE in the 700mhz spectrum they acquired.

Andreas

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Still using a Pre3 but like my Brothers 1320. Like the size of the screen but that also makes it a big device to pocket. Its a bit cumbersome to handle one handed while on the move.

For me a 5.5" display would be the best mix between screen real estate while still maintaining a physical width that is narrow enough to grasp with ease in all situations.

I know I would love a 1520 but as im in no rush im hoping for a 5.5" phone from Nokia/Microsoft.

Clay Knight

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up the 1520 last week. While whispers of "new devices" being just around the corner are getting louder, I couldn't pass up buying it outright on Amazon for $290.

I'm constantly buying and selling new devices, so for me, it was almost habitual to just hit the "buy it now with one click" button. But for the price, and the build quality of this device that still has quite a bit of life left in it in terms of upgrades, I have zero regrets.

slepr

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a 1520.3 from Newegg a few weeks ago when the sale was on. I am on AT&T as well but I didn't want their version because of the lack of Qi charging. This has become my daily driver and my 1020 is turning into my camera/video device with the addition of a Beastgrip and tripod. I believe there will always be "the next best thing" just around the corner and waiting for me made no sense. I was hesitant when the 1520 first came out because I didn't know if I would like the size. I now really appreciate the extra screen real estate.

Hristo Todorov 1987

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm using android telephone over 2 years but before 2 weeks I bought Nokia Lumia 1520 yellow !!!!! And now is the time to buy it!!!! Nokia Lumia 1520 is the best smartphone phablet for me!!! What new we waiting for? When will be released? When will be on the market? October? November? December? And let think about the price????700$ or more ;) I think now is the correct time to buy this perfect telephone!!!!

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat basically. I had my trusty Lumia 920 back from launch day nearly 2 years ago and it was loaded with the dev 8.1 but it didn't seem to stack up against the current counterparts where it used to very well. A deal for a black 1520.3 and I took the plunge and I couldn't be happier. 32gb of storage, ips screen and qi charging are all things I was wanting in a phone and it had them. Worse comes to worse, if come November and there is another awesome device that's a 1020 replacement or an updated 930 for ATT, I will probably upgrade because that's when my upgrade is and then either keep my 1520 as a extra phone or sell it via ebay or craigslist. Word of warning though, the biggest thing for me to get used to was the size. After about a week of ownership, the size is no longer an issue because you get used to it but it is funny when using smaller phones like the iPhones and how tiny they compare to this monster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny