Surface Brightness flickering issue?

Froggiestone

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
i have this too, at first i thought it was just me, but every time i scroll the brightness goes up down by maybe 5% or so its VERY annoying, first thing i did was turn off the auto brightness, it was pretty bad anyway, but it did not do anything. also tried looking at the power option nothing either. But by the looks of it i'm not the only one.

Also as far as i can tell it's only noticeable under 40% brightness, but i always use it in my dark bedroom, and prefer to have it on max 20%.

parabolee

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I know people here are mainly talking about the RT and this may not be help to them. But for anyone looking up this issue with the Surface Pro I was able to fix it permanently! :)

So the issue appears to be the Intel HD 4000 implementing 2 forms of battery saving contrast adapting. But we have no ability to change these settings by default.

So first of all make sure your dynamic brightness is turned off in your PC Settings and/or battery plan. Then...

Go Intel's site and download and then install the latest driver for the Intel HD Graphics 4000.

I believe this is the correct link -

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...nldID=22373&keyword=Graphics+HD+4000&lang=eng

This should give you access to the Intel Graphics and Media Control panel when you right click and select Graphics Properties from the desktop.

Select ADVANCED MODE

GOTO > MEDIA > IMAGE ENHANCEMENT and disable "Adaptive Contrast Enhancement"

Then GOTO > POWER > Change POWER SOURCE to "On Battery" and make sure "Display Power Saving Technology" is disabled (that is unchecked).

Click APPLY and viola no more dynamic contrast annoyances!

YAY!

Michael Muscat

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
This issue has been bugging me as well, I'll share my observations:

• This appears to be triggered when switching from A/C to battery or vice versa
  • Resetting the device temporarily solves the problem
  • Disabling/enabling the display adapter temporarily solves the problem (but likely to cause BSOD)
  • Changing adaptive brightness/power/dimming settings does not fix anything
So far the best temporary fix I've found is to set the brightness to 100%, then unplug and reconnect the power cable. Hopefully this works for you too.

Brendan Webster

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
First day using ms surface pro 3 - I have had it on for a bout 8 hours and now the brightness surges and I don't know why. Worried in case this will turn into a failure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintchip