Surface has arrived

aalupatti

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Surface just came in

See post 10 ( http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-book/390326-surface-has-arrived.html#post3268236 ) for a short review )

More pics in the posts further down

940f09f61da948a9ad1704db2113bc29.jpg
2015-10-26 11.58.26.jpg2015-10-26 11.53.21.jpg
The charger is slightly larger than that of surface pro 3
2015-10-26 11.55.48.jpg2015-10-26 09.10.48.jpg

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Nice! How about posting some pics of the unboxing, or at least the Surface Book out of the box. First thoughts or a review perhaps?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
congrats! can you let us know how it works on your lap? a couple of reviewers say it slides off if at an angle

Wouldn't the same apply to any laptop when you use it in your lap at an angle (except of course the perfect ones from apple)?

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
no, because most laptops have very light screens whereas the surface book has a very heavy screen. Also, one reviewer said that the surface book slides around on the table because it doesn't have rubber feet or maybe the rubber feet are very small. This seems hard to believe but if it's true it would be good to know before putting down money

afcor

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
no, because most laptops have very light screens whereas the surface book has a very heavy screen. Also, one reviewer said that the surface book slides around on the table because it doesn't have rubber feet or maybe the rubber feet are very small. This seems hard to believe but if it's true it would be good to know before putting down money

It does tip a little from the lap, but you should note that I'm currently typing this while sitting cross legged on the floor. The part of the computer where your wrists would rest is quite large (compared to my Lenovo Yoga 13, anyway), which holds the computer on my lap well...

aalupatti

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Nice! How about posting some pics of the unboxing, or at least the Surface Book out of the box. First thoughts or a review perhaps?
Added some more pics...

I have a surface 3 at home. This is heavier than that ( as expected ) but the clipboard or screen alone is much lighter in hand..
Unfortunately, I had the 3 hangups with computer being non respinseive that needed power button to be pressed for reboot. I dont think I have done that since windows 8.
So I am resetting the pc. If it does not solve, then its going back for replacement. Could be just my PC.

Mine is I7 with 16gb ram and 512Gb HDD. Was expecting it to be superfast, especially since i have used surface 3 with much lower specs.
Again , I really hope the reset will solve this.

congrats! can you let us know how it works on your lap? a couple of reviewers say it slides off if at an angle

It worked very well on my lap. Did not experience slide off.. Did not feel the top was too heavy for that to happen.

Love the screen , especailly the 3:2 Format.. Will be very useful for my office work.

Few other thing noticed are
1- The charger is slightly bigger than the surface 3. This could be because the output current for faster charger is higher with the new one.

2- The screen can be charged alone

3- There was no lag in using the pen

4- The back camera seem to take really good pictures.

5- keyboard is pleasure to use. back light is very useful

6- The battery consumption seemed quite a bit but again i am resetting to see if this would sort some of the issues. Also mine is I7

I had close to 476Gb of HDD space usable.

During initial setup there comes an option to use PIN ( unlike before , where u had to go into settings to do it. )

My settings from the older computer was easily transferred over.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
The box it comes in weighs more than the device!

I also had a couple of issues where the keyboard/trackpad were unresponsive. Hitting the power button (not complete shutdown) and back on fixed it. The touchscreen was always responsive. That is a little worrisome.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Mine is here, and it's awesome. I have a Surface Pro 3, and so I haven't used a laptop in a long time. But this seems super nice. People complaining about screen wobble have no idea what they are talking about, IMHO. This is really nice. I'm also not sure why anyone would complain that it slides off the lap. Not happening with mine, even a little bit.

The only nit I have with it is that it's not quite as thin and light as my SP3, and the SP3 is super convenient for picking up and taking to meetings, etch. We'll see if the SB is as convenient. If not, I'll exchange it for an SP4.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Now that my SB is all set up, here are my first impressions:
Setup took about 45 minutes from pushing the power button for the first time to having Windows set up, all updates done, Office installed and Visual Studio installed.
The performance of this laptop (i7, 16 GB RAM) is great. I loaded a few of my projects in Visual Studio and have to say that it feels like day and night compared to my SP3 (not to say the SP3 was bad, the Book is just more powerful).
The device feels nice and "lapability" is exactly what I would have expected.
Yes, it is top heavy, but very slightly so. Not surprising given that the entire computer sits in the screen.
I used it on my lap without any tipping or sliding though. I noticed that the screen does not bend as far back as other notebooks, but I think this is a design choice to keep the device in balance. With the angle you have, operating the device in your lap works great.

Windows Hello setup is a matter of about a minute after you install the firmware update and it works amazingly fast and accurate.

Surprisingly it takes a little force to get the screen off the base after the lock disengages. I would have imagined it to slide out more easily, but it is not too bad.
Reattaching the screen in tablet mode (screen on the outside), combined with the gap the hinge creates puts the tablet into just the right angel to really write very comfortably on the screen.
That brings me to the new pen and my only slight disappointment.
First of all, the pen is AMAZING. The little drag the tip adds makes the total difference. It just feels like writing now and no longer like sliding across a glass surface.
Now, for 2,700 bucks, Microsoft could have thrown the replacement tips into the box, but that is not the case. Not sure why they did not and it is the only slight annoyance I had so far, since now I have to order this 10 bucks kit separately.

Beside that, the Surface Book is hands down the nicest laptop I have ever had the pleasure to use and that includes several Apple devices.
Not cheap, but worth every penny.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
aaand I just had my first crash/freeze.

Had to reset using the power button.

Come on, MS, I've only been using it a couple hours. Get your act together.

njdev1k

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Been using the Surface Book since 10am. Set it up, did windows updates, moved data over and installed programs. No crashes or freezes. Only slight issue was during a benchmark test I got a display driver stopped working error. Loving it so far. Would have been nice if they included the additional pen tips as others have mentioned considering the cost. The pen is much better than previous.

I7/16GB memory/512GB ssd

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I've used my SB I7 512gb for 12 straight hours yesterday (installing stuff and using visual studio) and it seems like I'm one of the lucky few(?) with zero hardware / firmware issues. My only complain is the display scaling issues when connected to a 24" 1080p external monitor. Of course this is a Windows issues that affects all high-res Windows devices. But for a device this expensive I hope MS will do something to improve display scaling.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've used my SB I7 512gb for 12 straight hours yesterday (installing stuff and using visual studio) and it seems like I'm one of the lucky few(?) with zero hardware / firmware issues. My only complain is the display scaling issues when connected to a 24" 1080p external monitor. Of course this is a Windows issues that affects all high-res Windows devices. But for a device this expensive I hope MS will do something to improve display scaling.

And so it begins...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daviicket