Surface Pro 2 fan started making odd noise.

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface pro 2, which I bought when I visited US, all of a sudden this evening my SP2 fan started making noise like buzzz and it was louder then normal, I don't know how to solve this problem, please help me I have exams nearing, is it some kind of hardware problem as my device is out of warranty too please help me out thanks in advance.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like a bug, (a real live one) may have gotten inside and died. Or maybe a kid/friend dropped something in through a vent hole and it got sucked into one of the fans. You could try using a vacuum cleaner and go around the vent ports all around the casing.

Many years ago as a Service Tech I got called out to a VCR that would not unload the tape. Took the covers off and found a toasted jam sandwich neatly positioned over the drive spindles and read-head. The two year old had seen the tapes going in and the VCR seemed happy to suck in his sandwich too, just the once though. :D

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
This could be multiple things, including PiggyMiddle's suggestion. It could also be a defect with the fan. (Edit for accuracy). Depending on your situation, it could easily be small debris, or (As I found on a call to fix a PC) animal fur. Happened twice to me actually. Once was a lot of fur, and another time, it got wound up into the fan, and kinda ruined the fan. Without hearing it, it's hard to say, but lets work under the hope that it's debris for now.

Last edited:

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Good point, PiggyMiddle. A can of air would likely make a debris situation worse, if that's what it is. I don't have a Surface (One on the way), so I can't really judge the vent situation. I opened up iFixit, to view a teardown, and see that it's a squirrelcage, though I'm not sure why I thought it was something other than that. I'll edit my previous post to update, thanks for pointing that out. I've been working on something recently that -while portable- uses an axial fan, and I think I've got that on the mind.

I'm a bit concerned though, the buzzing, is it rhythmic, or steady? While it's doing it, if you tilt the device, does the pitch change? Is it getting hotter than normal?

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I didn't try the vaccum cleaner till now, I will try it when I get back to home from my hospital work and it is still making the same noise, I think it might be hair as you suggested and please help me fix it.
The device is out of warranty I texted the Surface support they told me they will make out warranty exchange but it will cost like 500$ + taxes, so I am not ready to shed that much money on this old device.

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Good point, PiggyMiddle. A can of air would likely make a debris situation worse, if that's what it is. I don't have a Surface (One on the way), so I can't really judge the vent situation. I opened up iFixit, to view a teardown, and see that it's a squirrelcage, though I'm not sure why I thought it was something other than that. I'll edit my previous post to update, thanks for pointing that out. I've been working on something recently that -while portable- uses an axial fan, and I think I've got that on the mind.

I'm a bit concerned though, the buzzing, is it rhythmic, or steady? While it's doing it, if you tilt the device, does the pitch change? Is it getting hotter than normal?

It is steady and only kicks in when my surface pro 2 starts heating up otherwise it is silent.

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
It got fixed with the vacuum cleaner, I think it was some debris. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Very glad PiggyMiddle's suggestion worked. I hope it was just a little fur or hair in the wrong spot. It might seem dumb, but the small stuff can have huge effects sometimes. Keep an eye... er... ear on it, but it sounds like you've tested it with the fans going, so, cool (Pun intended).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinglumbergkidd