Surface Pro 4 - Heavy?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So just got my Surface Pro 4.

The first thing I noticed is.. This thing is heavy.

I mean. Everyone is saying you know it's so light and stuff but I don't know if something is wrong with mine.

I can't hold this in my hand to use as a tablet for more than like 15 seconds without it becoming a bother and having to put down.

Now, granted I have only had the device for like 2 hours... I'm wondering if it is a case of me and my wrists not being accustom. Thing is, this is the first tablet device I have ever owned. I am not accustom to using tablets and holding devices in my hand (except my phone).

I'm trying to convince my self that this is it. Even someone else who was with me at the time held it and their response was "Wow. It's a lot heavier than I thought". He too was going to purchase a SP4.

Microsoft site says that this is supposed to be 1.73pounds... This does not feel like 1.73 pounds in my hand.

I have the i5/8gb/512 ssd...

Am I alone on this? Am I making an issue out of nothing? Or is something wrong with my device.

The weight bothers me so much I have not even used the device. I just set it up and that was about it. It's just sitting next to me now, closed.

Last edited:

sundry

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Your not wrong In respect to weight, just in regard to your expectation. The device is too heavy to be used as a true tablet. It is meant to used with kick stand on your lap, or table for example. Sounds like you were expecting to use it like an iPad.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Only weighs 1/3 of a lb more than my iPad.

I have a Logitech wireless KB/M I use for when I need to futz with my HTPC than only weighs 390g (.86lb), and even that makes my arm cramp up after awhile. Anything that weighs anything is going to fatigue you eventually. Builds muscle, embrace the burn :p

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Your not wrong In respect to weight, just in regard to your expectation. The device is too heavy to be used as a true tablet. It is meant to used with kick stand on your lap, or table for example. Sounds like you were expecting to use it like an iPad.

I think you're right. But I would assume as being a hybrid, that can be used as a "tablet" that I can hold it in my hand and use it as I please.

What about hybrids that don't have kick stands? How do they use it when in tablet mode alone?

sundry

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I think you're right. But I would assume as being a hybrid, that can be used as a "tablet" that I can hold it in my hand and use it as I please.
What about hybrids that don't have kick stands? How do they use it when in tablet mode alone?

If you're looking for something to use as a tablet, you should be looking at something around a pound or so. Even making the surface a little heavy for some.
Anything else, without a kick stand, can be propped up with one hand while resting most of the weight on your lap.Other than that you' have to buy a case with a built in stand. That's why I don't see any use in those type of hybrid devices.
Once again , you're not going to find a device with the power and versatility of the surface that's as portable. But that doesn't mean anything if your not going to use it.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion you get used to the weight but you also get used to the speed. Go back to a lightweight tablet afterward and you'll realize how people live in the slow side of the fence

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Wanna feel something heavy? Pick up a closed Surface Book with the Keyboard connected.... That's what I call heavy. That device is SOLID

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
In other news - why is the Mazda Miata so heavy? My scooter is like 1/10th the weight, and I can ride it to Seven Eleven just as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deadpool7788