Tethering Issue - Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8

HappyAussie

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Man oh Mannnnnnnn. I was losing it until i read all your helpful comments guys. I'm using HTC8s + Lenovo Ideapad. I know, hardcore right. lol. Anyway please be advised that for the solution in my case, its was the FIPS option.

Hope somewhere, someone reads this page sooner than the week of what the F:crying::shocked:K it took me.

Thanks People.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So, when I realized that I had this same problem with my Win8 laptop not wanting to tether to my 920, I made the mistake of looking for the answer in a windows forum. After having no luck, it finally hit me to search WPCentral forums and sure enough, I had the solution in under five minutes!

The tip to enable FIPS solved it for me!

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
For once something just worked.

Lumia 920 on AT&T with an HP EliteBook 8540p that was upgraded to Win8 Pro. The notebook works on internet sharing, didn't have to do anything

Martinspire

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
After setting FIPS my computers work again with my phone on tethering modus. But after disconnecting and connecting back after a while, the connection seems to be faulty (connection limited ergo: no internet). Uninstalling the device and reinstalling the device on my computer lets me add the connection back again and i can get it running but without that i just cant seem to get it to work in Windows 8.1 Preview.

Anybody else got an idea?

pdxrunr

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
this IS NOT the case. It's does not create an ad hoc network. If you check the FIPS box on Windows 8, tethering works fine. All other devices see the network the just fine and connect normally.

avigyan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Initially I used to tether using a Windows Phone 7.8 and a Windows 7 PC and it worked perfect. Now that I use a Windows 8 PC and a Windows 8 phone, I cannot use my phone as a wifi hotspot for my PC. The PC can detect and connect but always shows limited access icon. Says "no internet access".

pdxrunr

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is why this thread is here. Read from the beginning for the solution. Windows 8 has a new security feature and you must check the box for FIPS to tether to a Windows Phone 7 or 8 and have routing work.

conejosriv1er

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
ok, I have same issue. However, I am using a Motorola Atrix HD android on a gateway laptop running windows 8. I can tether with the usb with no issues at all. When I tether with wifi it shows connected but will not access internet. I have tried disabling firewall, shutting down Avast program, everything I can think of with no fix. Crazy thing is, every once in a while I'll give it a go and it works no problem. Very frustrating!!!!!

conejosriverts

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I tried FIPS setting, wont allow me to do it. Gives me an error message saying my device does not support this. Re-installed device drivers for Motorola, this didn't help either.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
ok, I have same issue. However, I am using a Motorola Atrix HD android on a gateway laptop running windows 8. I can tether with the usb with no issues at all. When I tether with wifi it shows connected but will not access internet. I have tried disabling firewall, shutting down Avast program, everything I can think of with no fix. Crazy thing is, every once in a while I'll give it a go and it works no problem. Very frustrating!!!!!
Hi and welcome to WPCentral. This thread has to do with tethering on Windows Phones.

We do have a sister site Android Central, that has a lot of helpful folks who use Androids. You'd probably get better help if you post your question on Android Central Forums, since that's where all the experienced Android users like to hang out. Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

DaveB1000

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I actually just created an account just to post that Ive found the solution to this problem. This might be the first time a windows diag ever did anything useful.

After making sure the drivers are insalled Go into "Control Panel", then "Network and sharing center". The phone will not show as a phone, it will show as a ethernet connection. Click the name of the network, it will show in blue letters. When the new window opens, click "Diagnose". Win 8 will detect that the DHCP settings are invalid, and will give you the option of configuring them automatically. Choose to configure automatically.

Once the connection is configured, the phone will immediately become available a a hotspot If you have turned the hotspot on.

Good luck, and thank you to everyone else who also attempted to help. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254