Tethering- Stopping Processes

tfracs33

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I used my 8x Internet Sharing (tethering) the other day and in a couple hours of use, used 2 gigs of my data plan.

I am assuming this is from background tasks on my computer like Dropbox, etc. because I was only using it for very simple web email and surfing.

Does anyone know of a desktop application that will stop all background tasks/processes for when I am tethered so I don't burn up all my data?

Thank you for help

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I used my 8x Internet Sharing (tethering) the other day and in a couple hours of use, used 2 gigs of my data plan.

I am assuming this is from background tasks on my computer like Dropbox, etc. because I was only using it for very simple web email and surfing.

Does anyone know of a desktop application that will stop all background tasks/processes for when I am tethered so I don't burn up all my data?

Thank you for help

Which carrier are you on and does the tethering cost you extra to have that ability?

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I did not pay extra for tethering when I had T-mobile
(I tether on Verizon now but I don't pay the bill so I have no idea)

tfracs33

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I am on Verizon and there is no charge per se, but I now have a data cap (which I never had on sprint) and when I tether, its eating up all my data

scottd34

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
If you're using Windows 8, there is an option to set a connection as a "metered" connection. That might help.

yes, if youre not using windows 8 then youll have to search around. the win 8 metered options is the only thing built in that would do this unless you just turn off apps that background sync.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baelin