The "How's your Band holding up" thread

Scipio Magnus

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I am on Band Number 3 and I told my customer service Rep John I would like to hear back from someone in the product team, this is the response I received...
Hello Vincent,

Well, the product safety team has prepared this messaging per their investigation.

"Review of your Microsoft Band revealed blistering of the metal on the GSR surfaces. Additionally, corrosion and dirt can be seen in the charge port connector. Although the cause of the alleged rash cannot be determined at this time, it is believed that the rash may have been the result of improper cleaning or not wearing the device properly. No safety were issues found."

This does not exclude you from receiving a refund. I have your proof of purchase and your address, all I need now is to know how you want to proceed. Would you like to get another replacement or a refund?

Hopefully this helps, and please get back to me as soon as possible so I can get you taken care of.

Have a great day!

Regards,

John

Microsoft Band CARE Team

What the hell? I am so pissed Here is a link to more pictures of my bands http://1drv.ms/1xnvNPD

WP_20150615_07_31_05_Rich_LI.jpg

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I got a question for anyone who's had their Band for a while (let's say around six months). How have the battery covers held up? I got my Band two days ago, and I notice that every time I stretch it open to put in on, it creates a little gap between the battery covers and the main strap.

Also, how has the clasping mechanism held up? Are there any issues with the two little hooks?

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I got a question for anyone who's had their Band for a while (let's say around six months). How have the battery covers held up? I got my Band two days ago, and I notice that every time I stretch it open to put in on, it creates a little gap between the battery covers and the main strap.

Also, how has the clasping mechanism held up? Are there any issues with the two little hooks?

I got my band in December, 2014. It has held up ok. The rubber over the battery covers is almost completely gone. I haven't had any problems with the battery covers themselves though. I do try to not flex the band any more than I have to though. I don't have any problems with the metal on the charging port or heart rate monitor. The clasp has held up very well so far. The band is starting to have a slight crack in it right next to the female half of the clasp. I'm a little worried about the clasp holding up too many more months. I have Microsoft Complete though, so I can get it replaced if it breaks within the next few months.

Mark Barbieri

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm on my second MS Band now. I like the band but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. The black rubber covering the batteries peeled off, battery areas coming off the strap, contacts pitting and then had to keep resetting to get it to work. I wore mine 24/7 with the exception of the shower.

I wold not buy again for the following issues. I will go with a second gen apple watch if/when they come out.

AndyD33

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Band - Album on Imgur

Just did a warranty exchange today at the MS store because of the issues in the pictures above. (the first one especially)

It lasted from 1/7 until today. The one I got today actually seems to be built a bit differently. The band part of it seems to be built with a different material and has more square shaped edges instead of more rounded ones.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My band finally gave out with the strap splitting... took it into a store and they swapped it straight out no questions. I guess these are wearing quicker than expected and they'll instantly replace in store to keep people happy.

This one should take me through until Band 2!

Gary K

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi AndyD33
I also had to change my band and I to found that it was different It did not seem to fit like the one I bought in December I just thought it was me.
Also have bought the following product to stop the bubbling on the battery cover (ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Microsoft Band Large (4M5-00003) Battery Covers ONLY Black Carbon Fiber Skin Protector with Lifetime Replacements ) Has anyone bought these shields and do the work? By the way bought them on Amazon if anyone would like to try them 2.

Erik Novikoff

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I just did a warranty exchange on my band. Did not even make it 30 days. Lost one of the 2 batteries on the band. No physical damage or sweat yet as I only used it for golfing and tracking my steps. Could have been just the luck of the draw as others have not had this problem, so I am not saying that this product is bad (I actually really like the band and all it can do).

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi AndyD33
I also had to change my band and I to found that it was different It did not seem to fit like the one I bought in December I just thought it was me.
Also have bought the following product to stop the bubbling on the battery cover (ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Microsoft Band Large (4M5-00003) Battery Covers ONLY Black Carbon Fiber Skin Protector with Lifetime Replacements ) Has anyone bought these shields and do the work? By the way bought them on Amazon if anyone would like to try them 2.

Previous armorsuit screen protector I had didn't last a month. Wasn't happy with warranty response either.

AndyD33

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi AndyD33
The things I've noticed different are the way the band around your wrist is constructed(as I mentioned), the clasp seems to work slightly different, and the sensor under the clasp seems to be clearer. (the cover on it)

Viktor Andersson

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Had my band sent in for replacement today, i imported the band from the US(i live in Sweden). Had my band since february i wear it 24/7. Started using it pretty recently tracking runs and other exercises, before that mainly used for tracking sleep, notifications and that stuff. Problem i had was the clasp breaking off the band completely like someone in the earlier posts of this thread. Support personal was super nice to deal with and there was no problem at all with me living in Sweden and getting a replacement. Happy customer, hopefully the exchange doesn't take that long.

Black3ternity

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I just jumped over my inner self and started the replacement request with Amazon UK.
My Band is five month old (shipped in April 2015) and it looks like this now:

WP_20150818_11_44_27_Pro.jpg

The GSR is basically dissolving itself. I'm a quick sweater so I'm not wet when seating but my skin is not dry as a desert.
I took it off daily for approx 30 minutes while showering and getting ready in the morning and let the band charge. On top of that, I always cleaned the charging port daily with a Q-tip and regular tap water. No chemicals, no alcohol. This result is obviously purely sweat-based. The Band is sized M and has air to breathe, so it's not flush with my wrist and has space to move.

Amazon told me to immediately return the band and a new band is on it's way already. So I have to live a few days without it.
I hope the new one survives a bit longer with me (maybe "odd" production badge?) and it stays alive until Band 2 arrives.
I always used a screen protector, but I think I'm gonna miss out on the new one simply because I don't have any left and it's annoying me as hell that the edges always start to peel off and collect dust and stuff.

The "regular" warping of the battery covers started on one side initially, but it got hold of both sides now. None is broken but I'm not rubbing on it all day long so it's fine.
Warping started approx. a month ago.
Timeline as follows:

- Bought and received in April 2015.
- First GSR bubble appeared two weeks after.
- HR metal color change started on May 2015.
- GSR started to deterioate from that day on continiously.
- Charging problems and random reboots after 100% charging the band: End of July 2015
- 10 minute fiddling and heavy cleaning necessary to get the band to charge: First week of August 2015.

Nevertheless: I love the Band. It works flawlessly, never let me down and tracks accurately despite the fact that the metal contacts are looking like some alien gnawed with acid on it.

Kind regards,

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My experience is that it lasts about 6 months then needs replacing. Thankfully replacing in store was painless however when I tried online a month ago they wouldn't do it. Suggest anyone trying talks to support or visits a store.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Only had mine a month but so far so good. I did buy the Skinomi wet apply screen protectors (6 pack for about $9 on Amazon) and they are nice. I figured the edges would start to roll up/come loose fairly quickly but that hasn't happened yet. I also bought the Armorshield carbon fiber battery cover protectors as suggested here. They went on easily, look nice and also stay stuck.

Black3ternity

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I also had the Skinomi Screen protectors for something around 16 Euro (GBP to EUR is bad :p ) and I was happy with them. They always kept a little "border" where they were visible between the display frame and display itself (because the display is recessed ever so slightly).
The corners just started to peel after 2 month approx. But when one started, the others were soon to follow. And when they peel up, there is no going back. They collect every single bit they can get. But great protectors anyway. I'm thinking of buying these when I get my hands on a new windows phone when Win 10 launches end of the year. Like the application method and the ease.
Nevertheless: The Band could beef up a bit in v2 so the bare metal contacts wont look like that. Maybe look at metal from actual wrist watches? They never do that ....

Regards,

papa tiger

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Have to clean the charge points daily with Isopropyl alcohol to keep down the corrosion so it will charge

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (15).jpg
    FullSizeRender (15).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 83

Black3ternity

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I would not recommend to clean the ports with that agressive stuff.
The GSR and contacts seem pretty scratched. With what do you clean it? Maybe you should avoid to use edgy and points things.

Oh and to the corrosion:
I had the same problem that the two outer contacts started to look "copper colored" orange / brownish. I always used a q-tip with tap water to rub it thoroughly. And after that I dried it with the edge of a towel and let it dry 20 minutes. The brownish color faded away after that.
It usually started to show after a heavy workout / run when sweating heavily. Seems like there is something like "anodizing". Something from your skin / sweat transfers to the charging ports due to the fact that the GSR transmits a ultra low current (which I sometimes felt a little bit).
You should avoid to go crazy on the GSR and especially on the contacts.

Regards,

buzzard31581

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I've had my band for about five or six months now. I don't workout so I don't use those tracking functions. I also don't sweat a lot unless it's just God awful hot out. I baby my band and take it off when I'm doing yard work, washing dishes, shower, etc. Basically anything where I run the risk of getting it wet or damaging it or anything I would normally have taken off my watch to do.

I'm starting to get the corrosion bumps and cracking on the sensors. I've also noticed the battery cover starting to peel. It's not holding a charge as long as it used to either. I used to be able to charge it every other night and now I'm getting just over a day out of it. I love the band, but I'm rather disappointed in how much my wife spent for a Father's Day present considering how poor the quality is turning out to be. I've owned watches in the past that have lasted for YEARS, decades even, without a single issue. If they correct these issues for the next version, I might consider getting one, but if not, I'll just go back to wearing a normal watch.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The original Band has a one year warranty so before the warranty period ends next Father's Day, June 19, 2016, take it to the Microsoft Store and see if they'll replace it.

It is a first generation product. The old saw about Microsoft used to be that they usually got it just right by the third generation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehalwadehra