Thinking of ditching unlimited data...

bhwolf

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Howdy all,

I've got a Lumia 920 and grandfathered into an AT&T unlimited data plan. I hate the fact that I can't tether -- I've been debating if I should give up the unlimited plan for a plan that costs just the same but allows tethering. Looks like I'm using no more than 1gb/mo, so seems silly to hold onto unlimited. Just thought I'd do a sanity check on this since I don't think I can switch back once I change... thanks!

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Howdy all,

I've got a Lumia 920 and grandfathered into an AT&T unlimited data plan. I hate the fact that I can't tether -- I've been debating if I should give up the unlimited plan for a plan that costs just the same but allows tethering. Looks like I'm using no more than 1gb/mo, so seems silly to hold onto unlimited. Just thought I'd do a sanity check on this since I don't think I can switch back once I change... thanks!

Ohh before you do that, you should buy a wp7...they still have the bug where you can tether on anybodys plan. My Focus Flash do.

Last edited:

pinoyrepn1124

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Unlimited data without extra charges or bandwith throttling is a rare thing nowadays . . Hold on to it for as long as possible. To me having that peace of mind of not having to worry about being limited or charged extra is worth the money.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
And don't forget that tethering eats up way more data. So that 1 GB you think you'll only use will turn into 3-5 GB in no time. I'm on AT&T 4GB mobile share that includes tethering . When I tether my Surface, I can easily go through 100-200 MB in a day.

Stick to your unlimited.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Agree with the others above, tethering uses a significant amount of data and if you do it you'll be over the limit on a 3GB plan in like a week or two.

wharfratg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Can you all clarify why tethering uses more data? Is it because they double calculate for both the phone and the tablet's usage? I'm thinking of getting a Surface Pro and tethering to my L920, but I only have a 2 GB plan. Would it be better to get a second line with my old WP7 on mobile share and try to tether without a plan? Thanks in advance for the advice.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I went from an unlimited plan and did a 6 gig data share plan to get tethering. This cost me 10 dollars more a month than what I had been paying.

I have 2 lines, tether my surface RT and have used no more than 2 gig in one month. True enough that my data usage went up, but that is only because I am using it more with my Surface. I'd have to use approximately 200 meg every day of the month to go over my plan.

Bottom line for me, get rid of unlimited and tether, you won't regret it.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I switched because it gave us unlimited texting and tethering, which while I won't use it often, might be useful when travelling.

With our iPhones we didn't need unlimited texting because of iMessage but on WP you do.

I think it ended up about $15/month more, but that was a lot cheaper than the unlimited text plan add on to our grandfathered unlimited data, and since our stats showed we only used < 1GB data it wasn't worth keeping the old plan.

Wifi is best for lots of data anyway.

pinoyrepn1124

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
The question to ask is exactly what do you use your phone for ?

I constantly stream music, update news apps, download apps and youtube videos on my Lumia 920. In 3 days I already used 500mb already. So if your a heavy user like me then I would say to stick with your unlimited plan. If not then you may save some money by cancelling it. I also agree with lak611 that you wont have the option of switching back ever since AT&T does not offer that plan any longer.

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I rarely use more than a gig or two a month, but I can't see dropping my unlimited just to save a small amount and risk an overage.
The question I would have to ask is do you really need to tether or is just something you might use once in a while?

bhwolf

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Great feedback, thanks everyone.

Truth be said I don't *need* to tether -- I actually have a Verizon mifi as well (for work w/ unlimited data) which I do use at times, BUT, when travelling really light, it would be nice just to use the phone and tablet without needing another device. Although this is seldom the case, I've been in situations where the phone had decent reception, but the mifi didn't, so it's good for that situation.

I'll probably hold onto the unlimited for awhile longer so I just don't have to worry about it -- it's just really frustrating to have tethering crippled like this. Prior to this, I had my Focus hacked to allow it, which I truly felt no guilt in doing for the once or twice a month I used it.

pinoyrepn1124

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
it's just really frustrating to have tethering crippled like this. Prior to this, I had my Focus hacked to allow it, which I truly felt no guilt in doing for the once or twice a month I used it.

I agree with the lack of free tethering on 920. I came from a Pre 3 that had no issues tethering thx to a homebrew freetether app . . The speeds were pretty good as well even though I was just running Faux G with it

elee@ulgm.org

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Great feedback, thanks everyone.

Truth be said I don't *need* to tether -- I actually have a Verizon mifi as well (for work w/ unlimited data) which I do use at times, BUT, when travelling really light, it would be nice just to use the phone and tablet without needing another device. Although this is seldom the case, I've been in situations where the phone had decent reception, but the mifi didn't, so it's good for that situation.

I'll probably hold onto the unlimited for awhile longer so I just don't have to worry about it -- it's just really frustrating to have tethering crippled like this. Prior to this, I had my Focus hacked to allow it, which I truly felt no guilt in doing for the once or twice a month I used it.

Bhwolf, you describe my situation exactly. I've been trying to decide whether to switch to one of the family share plans, primarily because I have been incurring lots of text overage charges and there is the handful of times each month where tethering to my Surface would be helpful. My wife and I combined have never exceeded one GB in a month, but I just can't get myself to let go of unlimited.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
One day, people are going to realize unlimited isn't necessary for 90% of us. I dumped unlimited and went with 5gb plan just to be safe. Bill went up $10-$15 depending on month. I never even turn on WiFi anymore and tether moderately. I come in under 3gb every month. Now if you stream all day, I wouldn't even think about it. If I remember right, the 3gb plan would have been the same price as unlimited. If you are using less than 1gb now and want to tether, go for it. Price should stay the same and hotspot is worth every penny.

hesketh7085

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
How can you find out how much data you're using on an unlimited plan?

Before I bought my new contract and phone I contacted my old sim provider to get a run down on how many texts/data/calls I made/used a month and they told me because I had an unlimited plan it didn't record my actual use.

So I ended up buying another unlimited micro-sim plan for my 920. I'm a heavy user, but if I'm only actually using 600mb a month, I'm being fleeced.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
How can you find out how much data you're using on an unlimited plan?

Before I bought my new contract and phone I contacted my old sim provider to get a run down on how many texts/data/calls I made/used a month and they told me because I had an unlimited plan it didn't record my actual use.

So I ended up buying another unlimited micro-sim plan for my 920. I'm a heavy user, but if I'm only actually using 600mb a month, I'm being fleeced.

If you have AT&T you can text *DATA# (*3282#), and you will get a message showing how much data has been used so far in your billing cycle.

Portsider

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope I am in this case), but isn't the 'unlimited' data plan, in fact, capped at 5gigs? I've got 2 UL plans grandfathered and it's my understanding that both are 5gig limits.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope I am in this case), but isn't the 'unlimited' data plan, in fact, capped at 5gigs? I've got 2 UL plans grandfathered and it's my understanding that both are 5gig limits.

They will begin throttling at 5GB. Though not 'capped' it might as well be as you are throttled to Edge speeds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz