This is Going to be a Problem

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I spent this week at a conference in Orlando. I am an educator, and I work with technology.

There are a number of apps that I wanted to use during the conference and still more that I am going to NEED to use now that I am going back to my own district.

None of them are available for the WP platform, and worse, when I spoke with some of the developers none had any plans to port them.

I really like the Nokia; in fact I have made 2 returns to get the Nokia back. But, as much as I like it, I need to be able to work with it as well. Having a real copy of Office is a major selling point (and I spent a lot of time at the Microsoft booth looking at Surface tablets which I also want now) but this could be a deal breaker. I suspect this type of thing is going to be a bigger problem than random missing apps for home use - professional apps will make or break the platform. Even when I extolled the virtues of my phone, it is a numbers game for developers and many markets, including education, are already small.

Heck, I was willing to work around the issue of getting music and pictures from my mac to my phone.

Thanks for listening, I think I just needed to vent. And be a little sad. I really want this phone to work for me.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry this is your experience. It is becoming a very common theme, and a broken, screeching record.

I have a good 10 months to wait on my contract, and I have decided to stay on my WP 7 until I see how MS and their OEM partners handle this problem. Functions need to come. No one is leaving Android or Apple to wait on improvememnts. This is it: Address it, or WP is never going to touch enterprise users.

I still believe we see huge improvements in the Spring/Summer. Hope you are still among the WP users to see these improvements I hope show up.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry this is your experience. It is becoming a very common theme, and a broken, screeching record.

I have a good 10 months to wait on my contract, and I have decided to stay on my WP 7 until I see how MS and their OEM partners handle this problem. Functions need to come. No one is leaving Android or Apple to wait on improvememnts. This is it: Address it, or WP is never going to touch enterprise users.

I still believe we see huge improvements in the Spring/Summer. Hope you are still among the WP users to see these improvements I hope show up.

I really like this phone and think the OS is an improvement on iOS in many ways. I want to stick with the phone, but at the end of the day it has to get the job done for me... I am giving it a little more time; it is too late to exchange it at AT&T so I have time. I was seriously looking at a Surface tablet (or similar - the stuff over at Lenovo was very intriquing) but I am going to have to wait and see about the apps I need for work.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Aye. I agree with you. At uni (I'm a student there) we use a service called BlackBoard, and we also have an app for the uni (to help you while round campus). Both are available on three platforms. iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry. But no WP app.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and I don't mean to add to the repeated complaining. For me, and me only, I am willing to wait for the few apps I use personally that ar emissing to be ported - I really think it is going to happen. Windows Phone 8 does offer a viable alternative as is and as soon as it gets the rough edges polished it is going to push hard at Android and iOS. I think Apple is going to have it's hands full if it doesn't make some changes. It isn't that iOS is behind technologically as much as it is just looking dated and unchanged for so long.

Ecosystems are going to start playing an even larger role as well, if my crystal ball is right. That has made the move to WP problematic for me - before this latest set back.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
If you really like your Nokia 920 why cant you grab an iPad Mini, iPod or even an iPad for your business mobile apps? Jesscia Alba does it.

If you want the mobile experience with Windows Products I highly recommend a
Lumia 920 - for on the go activities photography, music, navigation
Nexus 4/7/iPad Mini - for any missing popular apps
Suface Pro - As your on the-go 10 inch tablet plus work laptop.

Buy yourself a small incase on-the-go shoulder back and heck even bring your Zune HD with you and your set

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
. Having a real copy of Office is a major selling point (and I spent a lot of time at the Microsoft booth looking at Surface tablets which I also want now) but this could be a deal breaker. I suspect this type of thing is going to be a bigger problem than random missing apps for home use - professional apps will make or break the platform. Even when I extolled the virtues of my phone, it is a numbers game for developers and many markets, including education, are already small.

Nexus 4/7/iPad Mini - for any missing popular apps
Suface Pro - As your on the-go 10 inch tablet plus work laptop.

Buy yourself a small incase on-the-go shoulder back and heck even bring your Zune HD with you and your set
I agree here. I do not think RT is designed for professional use. Surface Pro (or another Windows 8 tablet) are aimed at professional users. RT is aimed at consumers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wasifl