Today is truly a sad day....

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
if you are in the Seattle Area, iGSM wireless in Bellevue does a fantastic job, for the screen on my HD7 was only $75 bucks.
I had a friend who had a Note 1, and it was over $300 to fix it, she had insurance.

I am pretty sure you can get it fixed for cheaper than to buy a new one. Also maybe Nokia might beable to help you :)

Leo Kaukidi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh man that sucks so much :( I am surprised it broke like that considering drop tests did 6 feet with not 1 crack, must have been the worst angle possible.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I called and added insurance after seeing this.

Will pay for it for a few months.

Deductible is only 125.

Deductable is $125, but Major Trip said that Nokia referred him to a place that can fix it for $177? That sounds like insurance really isn't worth it.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you have insurance,report it lost, pay $125, then get the old one fixed, sell it on eBay or keep as backup
Sent from my lumia 920 using Board Express

Major Trip

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I ended up going to T-Mobile with the 810 model. I am returning my wife's 920 back to AT&T and decided to keep mine until an unlock is released that will let me use it on T-Mobile. I figure by that time there should be more repair shops around that might fix it cheaper than $177. I am also going to call AM EX because it looks like there is a 90 day accidental protection guarantee. So hopefully they will just replace it.

On a side note, while I will miss the great photos the 920 took, I do prefer the display of the 810 compared to the 920. Even though the resolution is lower I really can't see a difference, and the OLED screen looks much better. I will try and take a pic tonight of both to let everyone see that the 920 looks a little more washed out than the 810. My wife actually prefers the feel and weight of the 810 too. (Looks like she needs to hit the gym more)

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone think it is possible a person from AT&T posted here about breaking their phone screen just so folks would call & add the protection coverage? If they didn't think about doing it they have now...hahaha

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My wife dropped hers from around 4 feet and it shattered worse than this, the screen works but it feels like pieces of glass will stab you... shame, I don't understand how some phones survived the drop test in those videos, seems like Nokia may have pulled one on us and didn't include Gorilla Glass 2 on some of these, can you imagine?

LazyLemming

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
They're all gorilla glass, it just takes the right pressure or an imperceptible defect in the glass to shatter it.

Gorilla Glass isn't unbreakable, it's just significantly less likely to break. Unfortunately less likely means it can still break on it's first drop.

Just today one of my coworkers dropped her Iphone 4s WITH a protective case about 2' onto her desk. Shattered screen.

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was pimping my red 920 without a case, but after my wife destroyed hers I'm not taking any chances, bought the red Speck case, but despite being a very nice case, it does make it kind of bulky and doesn't really protect the sides, just the top and bottom unlike with my iphone, on the speck for the iphone, the rubber protects all around, I may exchange it or just give it back and stick with a silicone case.

Joseph Noble

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia 920 is getting report of glass breakage om Amy sites. I paid $700 for my unlocked phone, as I live in Koh Samui, Thailand and was wildly enthusiastic about the phone and showing it of to everyone. While showing a couple folk, while sitting on a patio chair in front of my Subway store, I dropped it, maybe 1 foot off the ground it hit on corner and when I turned it over was horrified to see the front screen completely shattered. When got it touch with local Nokia Care folks, none of whom speak English, they told my interpreter they already had several 920's coming in with broken lenses. Folk, mobile phones are dropped! It is the nature of the product that is carried everywhere with you and is going in and out of your pocket hundreds of times a day. for Nokia to have so many front screen breakages is a manufacturing defect, and certainly a class action suit should be considered.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia 920 is getting report of glass breakage om Amy sites. I paid $700 for my unlocked phone, as I live in Koh Samui, Thailand and was wildly enthusiastic about the phone and showing it of to everyone. While showing a couple folk, while sitting on a patio chair in front of my Subway store, I dropped it, maybe 1 foot off the ground it hit on corner and when I turned it over was horrified to see the front screen completely shattered. When got it touch with local Nokia Care folks, none of whom speak English, they told my interpreter they already had several 920's coming in with broken lenses. Folk, mobile phones are dropped! It is the nature of the product that is carried everywhere with you and is going in and out of your pocket hundreds of times a day. for Nokia to have so many front screen breakages is a manufacturing defect, and certainly a class action suit should be considered.

I am truly surprised to know that so many NL920 have broken screens when dropped. I thought NL920 are more durable than any smartphones out there! Well this is certainly disheartening!

Are you gonna sue Nokia? If you gonna sue for fragility, I would sue for battery!

You say you live in Koh Samui, then how come you have an ATT Nokia Lumia 920 phone? Do they have ATT in Thailand?

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Just read this and what a complete joke. It's glass. Glass is fragile and when dropped, no matter from how far, there is a chance it'll break. Grow up people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gormless