Upgrade from 1520? 6" flagship?

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
It seems that the 950 XL is supposed to be the next flagship, but it's only a 5.7". I've grown very accustomed to the 6" 1520 and the features that come with it. It's by far the best phone I've had, and I was happy to say that it had top of the line hardware when it came out and could compare against the top androids. I'm not so sure I can say that w/the 950 XL (that's if ATT even offers it).

I bought my 1520 day 1, so november 22 of last year, and that date is rapidly approaching. There used to be a time when you'd be envious of devices that came out half a year or a year after you bought the top of the line device, but here I am almost my full 2 year upgrade wait.... and I don't see much on the horizon.

So if the 950XL disappoints.... is there anything even further out that might pick up the slack?

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping the 950 xl or whatever it's going to be called is at least 6". I love my 1520 and I don't want anything smaller.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Pfft, maybe in May. but it's all speculation. the 950 XL is the best shot for you, although theres always other platforms.

That Jade Primo phone seems interesting but I think its 5.5".

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you will see a big difference from a 5.7" to a 6"... the thing you would have to worry about is, are they going to strip the 950XL of all the goodies we've grown accustomed to like glance screen and other stuff we have on the L1520... also is it going to have better or same specs also? all this is what worries me

Aaron_Jones

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I came from the Android 3 Note to the 1520 and I notice the screen size and going backward for me is not an option. If anything I want bigger. I love the Hybrid Phone / Tablet, multi-functional. I have a feeling that there is higher end flagships coming out later in the year. I'm still hoping for the surface phone to make a debut. I would try and hold out a bit longer and see what turns up. I think if you jump at the first thing that rears it's head you may be kicking yourself once the other flagships get revealed. I'm sure we should see something by thanksgiving and X-mas time, if not before. Microsoft's plan was to reveal there higher end devices with Win 10. This is just my humble opinion.

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I also don't like the idea of going down in screen size, but I do wonder how much of a difference 0.3 inches will make. I think we probably won't notice it much.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
When it comes out in November, go to your closest retailer that has it, and play around with it. Yes, the 950 XL will be smaller, but will it really be that bothersome to lose 0.3 of an inch is what you, and anybody else, has to figure out by just holding it in November.

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have my L1520 on W10M now, and it works like a charm, it feels like a brand new device.
I think i could manage to live with it for a year or so on Windows 10, but i really, really would love it if someone at Microsoft would give the go ahead on a "6 Surface phone, i promise i would buy that in a heartbeat.
(pretty please Mr. Microsoft!!!)

Aaron_Jones

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I too am hoping for a surface phone that would be awesome. As of now it seems all of the 950XL features are not solidified so I hope all features are as good or better than the 1520.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I have my L1520 on W10M now, and it works like a charm, it feels like a brand new device.
I think i could manage to live with it for a year or so on Windows 10, but i really, really would love it if someone at Microsoft would give the go ahead on a "6 Surface phone, i promise i would buy that in a heartbeat.
(pretty please Mr. Microsoft!!!)

Wait.. how did you get W10 on your 1520?? Is there a link somewhere? I thought 1520 wasn't going to get win10.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Pfft, maybe in May. but it's all speculation. the 950 XL is the best shot for you, although theres always other platforms.

That Jade Primo phone seems interesting but I think its 5.5".

How did this get selected as the best answer? Did I accidentally do that? I'm not looking for another platform.

leehab

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I am with you . I love my 1520 and won't go for any thing less than 6" . I have seen 5.7" in stores and did Not like it . WP 10 looks fantastic and I will live with mine for another year to see what else comes up . I thought about Note 5 but don't care about Androids and hate Apple

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I am with you . I love my 1520 and won't go for any thing less than 6" . I have seen 5.7" in stores and did Not like it . WP 10 looks fantastic and I will live with mine for another year to see what else comes up . I thought about Note 5 but don't care about Androids and hate Apple

The only thing I wish the 1520 had is a digitiser and pen. With a 6" screen it's realistic to use the device as an occasional tablet, for which a pen is very handy. That's why I'm a massive fan of the Samsung Galaxy Note.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, I was able to get the insider updates :). I selected fast updates.. hope that doesn't kill my phone for at least another 2 months :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di