Video recording has intermittent skips on Nokia 1520.3 Samsung 64 gig Class 10

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Lately I am getting these intermittent skips in my video on my Nokia 1520.3 . Never used to happen before. Using the same Samsung 64gig class 10 card I have always used.

***** I don't remember for sure but it may have started happening after I updated to Update 2. I don't really remember though.

I'm on Windows phone 8.1 Update 2
I'm on OS version 8.10.15116.125
Firmware: 02540.00019.15053.26003

Here is a example from yesterday. Most of what i record is live music. But this sucks.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you see the problem if you record to the onboard memory instead of the card? (see storage sense for that option)

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Class 10 doesn't really mean anything. You need a fast class 10 card. There are 45mbps and 85+mbps class 10's. You need the faster 85 one (the grey Samsung, not the orange one...orange is too slow despite being class 10).

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, to answer you both:
*******Do you see the problem if you record to the onboard memory instead of the card? (see storage sense for that option) ****
I am unable to record to the internal storage. I try to set it in storage sense but it always records to the sd card. Am I missing something?

Cooolbreeze***** Class 10 doesn't really mean anything. You need a fast class 10 card. There are 45mbps and 85+mbps class 10's. You need the faster 85 one (the grey Samsung, not the orange one...orange is too slow despite being class 10).

I get your point but I have recorded numerous videos on this same card. See example with out any trouble.
All of this was recorded on the same card.:
[video]https://vimeo.com/album/3030421[/video]

mrshamoozoo

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I actually had this same exact problem happen to me last week filming a concert. it skipped like crazy! I have never had issues recording on my lumia 1520 or 830 with an sd card installed. I haven't used my 1520 in about 6 months to record, so I booted up and let it do all the updates it missed. I didn't feel like I needed to test out the recordings so I went for it and filmed a show. Got home and was super disappointed. I will try filming and saving it to the phone, but before this last update I never had a problem with filming. Im thinking its gotta be the lumia camera app? Havent tried filming with the stock camera but I want to use the lumia one for the fine tuning. Sad times. Must do more tests. The first video is longer but messes up wayyy more than the second.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6KGBfXhJb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfm7-FnOBRc

Last edited:

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried re-formattng? Since the card used to work well maybe constantly adding then deleting numerous files over the years has kind of fragmented it, if there is such a thing with memory cards..

timamann

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Experiencing the exact same thing. I actually replaced my 1520, with insurance, because I thought it was just done. Got the replacement, and after all the updates, I have the same problem, bad video skipping on recordings. It is random. And it does not matter if you are recording to the card or phone itself. I tried them all. We need some help on this one.!

Tim

pottyvick

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I just got the 1520 and have this issue... i havent tried to use internal memory yet. But seems from the post above that does nothing. I will try a reset and see if that helps...

NICK TOALE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Could be your SD card is getting old there is a limited number of read and write cycles on a card with some hardware I have I can kill a card inside of a month due to read and writes. If you have apps that read and write to the card that can also use up cycles very quickly. re formatting can help but if you hit the write limit the card is done. If your getting video skips this is generally caused by something accessing the card while writing a lot of cameras do it so make sure nothing is running. I've recorded an hour of footage with my 1520 in HD and the only frame drop was on the start of the next file with the 4 GB limit fairly easy to get round in post.

timamann

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been there with the reset. It worked fine for a bit, and then it starts again. It does seem to correspond to the timing of the Lumia update 2, but can't confirm. I've recorded to the phone and multiple new sd cards, same problem. The common factor is the Lumia update 2.

Moises Corilloclla

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Strange that I also have experienced skips while video recording on the onboard drive in the phone (not the SD card). Will it help if I go down from 1080p/25f to 720p/30f?

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
What version of windows are you guys on? I had problems on Windows 8.1 upgrade GGRD 2. And the WINDOWS 10 Preview update 10149 was even worse for the camera only.

timamann

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Same as you Al. 8.1', ggrd 2. I picked up a 640 XL, so I had something for video over the holiday weekend and to record my daughter's song writing. Very frustrating to say the least, but we will keep searching and hopefully a fix will come. Have a good 4th!

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I switched from the SanDisk Ultra (because of video skipping) and picked up a Samsung Pro 64gb and the problem went away.

I was already using the Samsung Pro 64gig and still had the problem. I have since went back to 8.1 without the GGRD2 update and everything is fine. No Skips.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whcrumb