Viral video rightly shows how Microsoft's HoloLens is way ahead of Apple's Vision Pro

Cmndr_Bytes

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
Several years ago, i said MS would squander their Hololens research and Apple would at some point come out with something that everyone would think was some amazing new great sliced bread.
It's like they have adult ADD. They just can't focus. I wanted a Hololens from the moment they revealed it. Was hoping they would come out with some consumer version, but, alas, here we are.

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft is trying to follow the market from the front. It's like when the light turns green and you start off the line, but nobody else moves and you start to doubt your choice wondering what you missed. Microsoft needs to lead without worrying what everyone else is doing. It's obvious this will never happen under Satya and the current board members.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Several years ago, i said MS would squander their Hololens research and Apple would at some point come out with something that everyone would think was some amazing new great sliced bread.
It's like they have adult ADD. They just can't focus. I wanted a Hololens from the moment they revealed it. Was hoping they would come out with some consumer version, but, alas, here we are.
In one sense, you're right, but in another, I'm not so sure.

Let's be clear: Apple made arguably the best VR headset yet. But VR is still ... niche. Few market analysts are convinced of Apple's vision here, so its stock is doing OK but not exploding like Microsoft's. It's a big risk for Apple, whereas all eyes are now on AI, which IS a viable business (hence why Microsoft is now the most valuable company in the world, and soon, the most profitable, ahead of Apple).

Zac and I have talked about HoloLens a lot on the podcast and noted while it is amazing, we don't have much use for it as a consumer product. Microsoft pivoted towards enterprise for it with moderate success, but it's still an uncertain tech.

Regardless, Microsoft still has the technology and patents and is still developing it, but like them, I'm just not sure it has a future. A much more realistic answer to all of this is XREAL Air 2 Pros, which cost $699 and have spatial and hand tracking. Sure, it's not as impressive as Vision Pro, but it's way more practical (it works with PC, Android, iOS, etc) and has a much more focused purpose.

Reactions: HeyCori

Cmndr_Bytes

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
In one sense, you're right, but in another, I'm not so sure.

Let's be clear: Apple made arguably the best VR headset yet. But VR is still ... niche. Few market analysts are convinced of Apple's vision here, so its stock is doing OK but not exploding like Microsoft's. It's a big risk for Apple, whereas all eyes are now on AI, which IS a viable business (hence why Microsoft is now the most valuable company in the world, and soon, the most profitable, ahead of Apple).

Zac and I have talked about HoloLens a lot on the podcast and noted while it is amazing, we don't have much use for it as a consumer product. Microsoft pivoted towards enterprise for it with moderate success, but it's still an uncertain tech.

Regardless, Microsoft still has the technology and patents and is still developing it, but like them, I'm just not sure it has a future. A much more realistic answer to all of this is XREAL Air 2 Pros, which cost $699 and have spatial and hand tracking. Sure, it's not as impressive as Vision Pro, but it's way more practical (it works with PC, Android, iOS, etc) and has a much more focused purpose.
Daniel good to hear from you! Thanks for the reply. :) I have always appreciated your insight.
I have been looking into the XREAL and looking forward to the March release.
I am sure you don't remember but, probably in the same discussion several years ago I mentioned, you told me I did not want a hololens something to the effect of them not being ready and I suggested you just send me yours if you did not like them. You turned down my offer of taking them off your hands. :-D

Onemacaway

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Forgive me if I sound bullish but the viral video Sam made doesn’t show that Microsoft is ahead it’s actually in a parody tone to say that Microsoft did it first but managed to not be successful at making it cool … who knows if Apple wi’ll

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
Didn't Microsoft lay off (most, if not all) their HoloLens and Mixed Reality teams, and many of them moved over to Apple to work on Vision Pro?

Even in the rare chance Microsoft DOES give HoloLens a chance again with a consumer-friendly version, they REALLY need to step up their consumer marketing game. That's one of the biggest issues they struggle with which prevents people from knowing about their products and from businesses to actually pick them for their services since there's so much competition now that's consumer and business friendly.

If they were smart, they'd also partner with Xbox! That way it can be just as flexible as Windows.

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I haven't watched a SAMTIME video for a while but I was a big fan for a while after I saw him spruiking the Surface Dial as the Microsoft Knob. I still chuckle when I think of that.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
the ultimate issue with the Hololens was Microsoft didn't have a processor that was available that was powerful enough and battery efficient enough to drive the Hololens. V1 ran on an Atom because Intel didn't have anything that didn't suck batteries dry in 5 minutes. V2 was on an off-the-shelf qualcomm soc that was barely enough for flagship smartphones. If only Qualcomm had their latest that was built by the engineers that left Apple's processor line.

Also, Microsoft didn't want to have a battery pack with a wire that you could yank. Even then, the Hololens 2 with battery pack on your head is still lighter than the Apple headset with the battery pack off your head. And the battery life on the Apple headset isn't that great which is why every Apple user that bought it is using 2 batteries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria