Walked into local Microsoft Store... plenty in stock.

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Can you link me? I haven't seen anything about this trade in program anywhere.
In store only, I didn't know about it until I was in my local Microsoft store. Though this isn't unusual, every time I have purchased in store on a major product launch there have been unadvertised promotions. That's why I only shop at a Microsoft store if possible.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
In store only, I didn't know about it until I was in my local Microsoft store. Though this isn't unusual, every time I have purchased in store on a major product launch there have been unadvertised promotions. That's why I only shop at a Microsoft store if possible.

Ah. So what was the trade in value for you?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Lucky. Went into my store (Boston MA), sales reps weren't even remotely interested in selling them. Out of 4 people I talked to, only one knew about their own stock. And that guy worked in the back room.

I went in the Dunwoody (GA) mall store last week in the evening and was very unimpressed with the staff and more the demo hardware quality: 2 PCs were locked up and on a 3D scanner I wanted demoing the demo software wasn't activated. And the PC had to reboot before we even got that far. After she didn't know the login password.

Customers need to be impressed when they go in a store. Not walk out feeling a visit was a waste of time.

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I went in the Dunwoody (GA) mall store last week in the evening and was very unimpressed with the staff and more the demo hardware quality: 2 PCs were locked up and on a 3D scanner I wanted demoing the demo software wasn't activated. And the PC had to reboot before we even got that far. After she didn't know the login password.

Customers need to be impressed when they go in a store. Not walk out feeling a visit was a waste of time.
Are you talking about a Best Buy or Microsoft store? If so then wow, very different than my experience in several states. That would **** me off too.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about a Best Buy or Microsoft store? If so then wow, very different than my experience in several states. That would **** me off too.

Sadly a Microsoft store. The same store has been great and staffed well on a weekend, but that weeknight evening was very poor.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My local kiosk can be a mixed bag with the employees, too. They recently changed managers, and I already miss the previous manager (he was promoted to a bigger store, if I remember correctly). I used to chat with him almost every time I stopped by -- the last time I dropped by to check out the 950XL and SP4, he gave me a demo of continuum working wirelessly with the display they use for their xbox. He told me up front that it was still beta and buggy, but man it was extremely cool to see & try.

Anyways, some of the employees there are very "meh" about everything. Others are quite friendly, but not terribly knowledgeable. A few of them, though, really know their stuff and are great salespeople. I've come to prefer dealing with those ones when I go. Unfortunately for me, none of them were there when I bought my Surface Book, which is probably why I got all the way home without realizing they gave me the wrong model. Luckily, getting it swapped out for the right model was easy. I almost couldn't believe that the manager (who got my SB from the back and rang it up) didn't have me verify that it was the correct one before going ahead with the transaction. The guys I usually deal with would always have me double check before they rang it up. Ah, well. Maybe the new manager will learn sooner or later...

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've tweeted to @MicrosoftStore mentioning lack luster store staff at my location. I think everyone should cause they should make sure that the people there are eager to be there and selling their stuff.

Kanshin

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
@jkdem85

Regarding the Flicker issue-
If you are running Visual Studio, there is an issue with the NVIDIA Optimus video driver conflicting with Hyper-V.
Disable Hyper-V and the Flicker will go away. You can re-enable anytime but this will subvert the issue until an updated driver is released.

1) Bring up an Administrator CMD prompt-
2) bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
3) Reboot

To turn on

2) bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto
3) Reboot

Microsoft is aware of the issue.

Hope this helps!

greyrc51

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
For those that wanted to know these are the trade-in values for an SP3 w/ power supply and type cover(necessary for full trade-in value).

i3 4GB/64GB = $350
i5 4GB/128GB = $400
i5 8GB/256GB = $500
i7 8GB/128GB = $550
i7 8GB/256GB = $550
i7 8GB/512GB = $700

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
@jkdem85

Regarding the Flicker issue-
If you are running Visual Studio, there is an issue with the NVIDIA Optimus video driver conflicting with Hyper-V.
Disable Hyper-V and the Flicker will go away. You can re-enable anytime but this will subvert the issue until an updated driver is released.

2) bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
3) Reboot

To turn on

2) bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto
3) Reboot

Microsoft is aware of the issue.

Hope this helps!

Does this also get rid of the screen flickering with other apps? Edge, Twitter, News app?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peng