WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Why do you think that is? I rarely wear headsets so I'm not as discriminating. I have an old-fashioned "hifi" at home which is where I prefer listening to my tunes.

Is it because handsets have become so large that people on the go can't have them on arm straps? I see joggers all the time down here with small devices (iPods I presume) strapped to their arms but I've never seen a large phone.

Hmm, this is true. If I was to jog or work out, I would not take my Xr. I would take the A3, that's much easier. I also remember that when the SE came out, I saw several people say that it would be a good running phone.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Why do you think that is? I rarely wear headsets so I'm not as discriminating. I have an old-fashioned "hifi" at home which is where I prefer listening to my tunes.

Is it because handsets have become so large that people on the go can't have them on arm straps? I see joggers all the time down here with small devices (iPods I presume) strapped to their arms but I've never seen a large phone.
I've seen people run with larger phones, but it's less. Apple has pushed the idea that you go Bluetooth + Apple watch with Spotify/Pandora/locally stored music to the hardcore runners. That helps with the sales. It's just another way to do things - Sony had the wireless headphones you could music on.

Plus, music has changed with online streaming. I'm a pack rat and want to collect my music, not stream **** I don't own. I don't have the HiFi set up yet and the GFii likes a very narrow set of music choices - so she streams those/ play those same CDs repeatedly. So I play mine individually. Just the times, I guess.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I don't have as much battery anxiety so far with the XZ2 as I did with the Pixel 2. I mean, it's still early days, but we will see what happens. Guess this was the part that people talked about how the battery life was sneaky good.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I don't have as much battery anxiety so far with the XZ2 as I did with the Pixel 2. I mean, it's still early days, but we will see what happens. Guess this was the part that people talked about how the battery life was sneaky good.

So far, having it be better than the Pixel 2 sounds like a positive for Sony but I'm curious to see how this goes for you of course.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I have been flip flopping with keeping the Xr or looking for an X all weekend but I have decided to keep the Xr. I am still debating if I should look for a popsocket or ring. I feel fine with this decision. Enough to buy and apply a screen protector on it, which I never do when trying phones.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Sony phones are known for their good battery life.

Saying that, I still think battery life on phones is crap.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's why I do my serious listening with a turntable, a valve phono preamp, and a valve power amp.
I haven't owned vinyle since the early 90s and haven't heard anything on vinyle other than a cafe that used to play vinyle back in the UK. I don't have much to do with it. I think I never had much of a love affair with it.

Valve amps apparently give you the best analogue sound output. It's supposedly softer, whatever that means. I'm no audiophile.

I believe people should enjoy their music how they wish.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I've seen people run with larger phones, but it's less. Apple has pushed the idea that you go Bluetooth + Apple watch with Spotify/Pandora/locally stored music to the hardcore runners. That helps with the sales. It's just another way to do things - Sony had the wireless headphones you could music on.

Plus, music has changed with online streaming. I'm a pack rat and want to collect my music, not stream **** I don't own. I don't have the HiFi set up yet and the GFii likes a very narrow set of music choices - so she streams those/ play those same CDs repeatedly. So I play mine individually. Just the times, I guess.
I personally don't mind streaming music but I've also found some commercial free stations on TuneIn that I listen to.

I'm happy not to have the clutter.

My only gripe at this moment is that the Spotify app is not as good as it should be.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I haven't owned vinyle since the early 90s and haven't heard anything on vinyle other than a cafe that used to play vinyle back in the UK I don't have much to do with it. I think I never had much of a love affair with it.

Valve amps apparently give you the best analogue sound output. It's supposedly softer, whatever that means. I'm no audiophile.

I believe people should enjoy their music how they wish.
I agree with your last paragraph. Good music is good music, and bad music is bad music. I enjoy good music played on any format or gear. However, I prefer the sound of my favourite music on analogue gear.

I started acquiring vinyl back in the 70s, and I never lost interest in it. I even bought vinyl in the 90s, during its worst period in terms of sales. I sold many CDs I originally purchased in the 80s/90s. Nowadays, I'm more interested in original pressings than reissues on heavyweight vinyl. I agree with the statements in this link: http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...p-reissues-wont-be-on-heavyweight-180g-vinyl/

I do have some 180g and 200g vinyl. However, it doesn't sound any better than original pressings on 140g vinyl.

The valve amps do produce a warmer sound with a wider soundstage. I can tell the difference more when I listen to jazz records than when I listen to rock records.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I personally don't mind streaming music but I've also found some commercial free stations on TuneIn that I listen to.

I'm happy not to have the clutter.

My only gripe at this moment is that the Spotify app is not as good as it should be.
I enjoy the Spotify daily mixes. I've discovered some new jazz I like from those daily mixes.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

I think it's the convenience of streaming that has won so many people over. You don't have to worry about the storage space, having the proper system or anything else.

Heck, I never thought watching media etc on a 5 inch screen would be a big thing but it happens constantly now.

It's all about convenience and the 'right how's attitude I think.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I think it's the convenience of streaming that has won so many people over. You don't have to worry about the storage space, having the proper system or anything else.

Heck, I never thought watching media etc on a 5 inch screen would be a big thing but it happens constantly now.

It's all about convenience and the 'right how's attitude I think.

I agree. I enjoy that it only takes a log in to access what I want to listen to, regardless of the device.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I agree. I enjoy that it only takes a log in to access what I want to listen to, regardless of the device.
Guess I'll always be in the minority that doesn't like to trade away a ton of quality for the sake of convenience.

Or maybe it's my data warehouse ching habits developed from the early days of betting through dialup speeds.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Guess I'll always be in the minority that doesn't like to trade away a ton of quality for the sake of convenience.

Or maybe it's my data warehouse ching habits developed from the early days of betting through dialup speeds.

Maybe both. You are someone that notices the quality though, so that makes sense.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I enjoy the Spotify daily mixes. I've discovered some new jazz I like from those daily mixes.
I like the app in general it just has a couple of bugs you may not notice if you are never without internet. We were also one of the millions that had our details hacked.

One of the downsides of online content.

We just got rid of our Netflix and Amazon Prime. Now we use a VPN and get more of what we like.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I’m not into the streaming game either. I want to listen to what I want and when I want, not the same crappy music I hear on the radio every day. Listening to a “station” on iHeartRadio doesn’t work for me because I might be listening to a Euge Smoove track followed by John Bonham breaking my ribs with his double bass drums.

I too built my collection via Audio Galaxy and 3.5 kbps courtesy of Net Zero.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I agree with your last paragraph. Good music is good music, and bad music is bad music. I enjoy good music played on any format or gear. However, I prefer the sound of my favourite music on analogue gear.

I started acquiring vinyl back in the 70s, and I never lost interest in it. I even bought vinyl in the 90s, during its worst period in terms of sales. I sold many CDs I originally purchased in the 80s/90s. Nowadays, I'm more interested in original pressings than reissues on heavyweight vinyl. I agree with the statements in this link: http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...p-reissues-wont-be-on-heavyweight-180g-vinyl/

I do have some 180g and 200g vinyl. However, it doesn't sound any better than original pressings on 140g vinyl.

The valve amps do produce a warmer sound with a wider soundstage. I can tell the difference more when I listen to jazz records than when I listen to rock records.
For me it was the portability factor that moved my music from an early age. First tape cassettes then CD, then mp3, now streaming.

I still remember the first CD I ever heard. One of the first actually released to CD. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms.

I didn't own it and this is when CD players were over $1000. I still remember how the guy handled the CD but more importantly I remember the clarity. Was quite amazing.

Sure streaming isn't great but I have a decent speaker to listen to it. My Bose Soundlink Mini II is a great speaker. It's amazing the sound that comes out of it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

For me it was the portability factor that moved my music from an early age. First tape cassettes then CD, then mp3, now streaming.

I still remember the first CD I ever heard. One of the first actually released to CD. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms.

I didn't own it and this is when CD players were over $1000. I still remember how the guy handled the CD but more importantly I remember the clarity. Was quite amazing.

Sure streaming isn't great but I have a decent speaker to listen to it. My Bose Soundlink Mini II is a great speaker. It's amazing the sound that comes out of it.
That is a nice speaker you have.

I do have 5:1 speakers with a subwoofer for my computer. They're not expensive, but since I live in an apartment, I can't play music extremely loudly anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
komalrahim