WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Here's my issue with these protesters.

It's $2.75 per ride here - bus or subway. Which means $5.50 round trip, which means $27.50 for 5 days if all you're doing is going to one destination (say work/school). Which is $110-$137.50 per month. What if you have to go other places? When I first started to use the MTA, farms were $1.25. Things get adjusted for inflation (and mismanagement). It's expensive getting around. So while that expense is cumbersome, how these protesters are highlighting this issue are ineffective.

- Lots of the ones I saw looked more like Laura and Rue than me. In fact, they looked like suburban teens, college freshmen aged. Not very relatable. So while they could have had experiences similar to people like me, they're not as likely to have those experiences consistently of the profiling and harassment that they are protesting. Plus they're likely not paying for their own rides.

- They're asking for less to no cops in the subway system and free transit. That's some impractical stuff there. NYS has enough issues fully funding the MTA without riders paying. The MTA loses a ton of money from fire evasions - mostly from poor folks who cannot afford the fare due to how expensive the city is. Also, in the outer boroughs where transit options are limited (and incomes are lower out there, making it more likely to see the fare evasion).

- Secondly, while crime is lower in the subway, crime still happens. No cops in the subway leave us vulnerable in the subway. Especially with personal electronic usage so common now in the system. Also, nothing good happens when people have to travel late at night in the subway - I've done it often enough to keep my head on a well greased swivel. Most of the people I see protesting in that group I saw wouldn't dare to be out late in the outer boroughs on the subway.

- More importantly, this was a colossal waste of time to me. There are groups out there actively working with NYPD to improve community relations, especially with brown folks. I doubt many of these protesters are involved in those initiatives. Plus, you've got increased NYPD covering this (time and a half) instead of using resources to do other things.

I stopped by Occupy Wall Street back in the day. Some of the goals for that I supported, although as always some parts of it went awry. This F@$! the police stuff though, nah...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
When did they start calling money "access"? I always preach to follow local government more closely than the s**tshow in DC because that's where lives get affected. My daughter turns 22 this year which means she'll get the boot from the public school system. It also means that it's the end of any government subsidized programs for her since there are no adult programs in place in The Sunshine State. The homeless issue is moving beyond your typical black or white guy holding up the "will work for food" sign. You're starting to see a LOT of women, some with young adult kids in tow, and that's jolting.
Most of the people in this country are working homeless, which means if a catastrophic event happens (illness, property damage or loss of employment), they're at high risk to be literally on the street within 30 days of said event. It's why the p.c. term of "housing insecure" is the most accurate. The image of the homeless guy on the street isn't fully representative of what's going on.

Your daughter is getting the boot because of one of the core contradictions here where we must look after kids until they become adults when they can fend for themselves (and we don't care if there are any medical or other challenges thst exist along them to access the ability to fend for themselves in the "same way that everyone else does". That's why not many adult programs exist for her needs.

It's why when kids who are on SSI hit age 17, they're told they need to reapply when they get to 18 - quite a few of them get denied because even though their situation hasn't changed, the eligibility criteria for adults is more restrictive.

'Murica at its finest.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lots of the ones I saw looked more like Laura and Rue than me. In fact, they looked like suburban teens, college freshmen aged. Not very relatable.
And also less likely to get their a$$es kicked by the very police they're shouting FU to. If it was people who look like you out there instead of "suburbanites" I promise you there would be some cracked coconuts by the end of the day. As for the goals of the protest itself, I'm with you there. Fewer cops means more crime and that ain't no tired old cliche. We've had an issue with rogue cops here that goes back to the 70s when the drug industry took root on a large scale. But you gotta play the percentages that you'll come across one of the good guys and not a thug with a badge and a Glock.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
And also less likely to get their a$$es kicked by the very police they're shouting FU to. If it was people who look like you out there instead of "suburbanites" I promise you there would be some cracked coconuts by the end of the day. As for the goals of the protest itself, I'm with you there. Fewer cops means more crime and that ain't no tired old cliche. We've had an issue with rogue cops here that goes back to the 70s when the drug industry took root on a large scale. But you gotta play the percentages that you'll come across one of the good guys and not a thug with a badge and a Glock.
I was on high alert with all those cops around. If I wanted a free black eye all I has to do is look at them funny. It is the same issue in spicy they are protesting, but their execution is the problem.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's been interesting configuring the business phone. Sometimes I forgot how hardware driven I have been over the years. I've cut down my usage of solely one set of services. So far I've gotten on that phone a nice mix of MSFT apps and Google offerings. I'm tempted to add the BlackBerry hub stuff on there too, mostly for the calendar. Thought about the email and maybe I'll do that, bit not sure yet.

I don't want too much stuff running I have to give permissions to in the background. I won't know how effective this set up will be until I out an active SIM in there, as I don't plan to use my person in there.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's been interesting configuring the business phone. Sometimes I forgot how hardware driven I have been over the years. I've cut down my usage of solely one set of services. So far I've gotten on that phone a nice mix of MSFT apps and Google offerings. I'm tempted to add the BlackBerry hub stuff on there too, mostly for the calendar. Thought about the email and maybe I'll do that, bit not sure yet.

I don't want too much stuff running I have to give permissions to in the background. I won't know how effective this set up will be until I out an active SIM in there, as I don't plan to use my person in there.
I already have cut down the boat on the personal phone anyways. It's just be nice to do a different type configuration. I'm likely to add the BlackBerry his to manage calendar and keyboard. While G board and SwiftKey are faster (more updated) options, I always liked the direction in which the BlackBerry keyboard was going.

It'll likely be Google for app updates, Microsoft for productivity and BlackBerry for the PIM. Some stuff overlaps, but it's OK. I've got overlapping things as backups to make my life easier.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I already have cut down the boat on the personal phone anyways. It's just be nice to do a different type configuration. I'm likely to add the BlackBerry his to manage calendar and keyboard. While G board and SwiftKey are faster (more updated) options, I always liked the direction in which the BlackBerry keyboard was going.

It'll likely be Google for app updates, Microsoft for productivity and BlackBerry for the PIM. Some stuff overlaps, but it's OK. I've got overlapping things as backups to make my life easier.
Even on the new machine itself, I'm not installing Chrome. I went old school/new school and am using the new Edge browser for my work and Opera for my personal stuff. Once I have this set up how I want I have to go back into my personal and clean that up too.

I just think Google has gotten a little too "imbalanced" for my liking. Of their Android app, I do use Chrome, YouTube and Maps the most. I let go Gmail eons ago, and can detach from Chrome as well. The Maps moreso than YouTube is harder to stop using for me.

I'm not sitting here saying that all these companies are great either - they aren't - but I think it's more important now to not be fully reliant on one set of services for everything. The walled garden approach does not always push true innovation as convenience can sometimes foster laziness.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Even on the new machine itself, I'm not installing Chrome. I went old school/new school and am using the new Edge browser for my work and Opera for my personal stuff. Once I have this set up how I want I have to go back into my personal and clean that up too.

I just think Google has gotten a little too "imbalanced" for my liking. Of their Android app, I do use Chrome, YouTube and Maps the most. I let go Gmail eons ago, and can detach from Chrome as well. The Maps moreso than YouTube is harder to stop using for me.

I'm not sitting here saying that all these companies are great either - they aren't - but I think it's more important now to not be fully reliant on one set of services for everything. The walled garden approach does not always push true innovation as convenience can sometimes foster laziness.
In my case the browsers I use are Chrome, Firefox and Brave. I gave up on Opera when it was purchased by a Chinese company. Edge has always been too buggy. I've been impressed with Brave, both on desktop and on mobile.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I've been fumbling with different configurations and I've reached pretty much the same conclusions as you. I use the BB keyboard, the Hub for my email as well as Contacts and Calendar. I use Outlook for my work email and calendar to keep them separate from my personal stuff. I have a Gmail address I use for those instances where I suspect boatloads of spam. Besides Gmail, the only Google services I use are Maps and YouTube. There is an app on the Play Store called "Daily Pic" which I use for having the Bing picture everyday on my wallpaper. Most of the time the blue notification dot is so pale that it blends into most wallpapers so I also use the BlackBerry Launcher to take advantage of the bright red sparks.

Using different email clients has been my way of substituting the Live Tile approach of a separate tile for each account. Microsoft really got that right with Outlook. The Hub offers pinning separate icons for each account but it doesn't work properly unless you use the BB Launcher.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been fumbling with different configurations and I've reached pretty much the same conclusions as you. I use the BB keyboard, the Hub for my email as well as Contacts and Calendar. I use Outlook for my work email and calendar to keep them separate from my personal stuff. I have a Gmail address I use for those instances where I suspect boatloads of spam. Besides Gmail, the only Google services I use are Maps and YouTube. There is an app on the Play Store called "Daily Pic" which I use for having the Bing picture everyday on my wallpaper. Most of the time the blue notification dot is so pale that it blends into most wallpapers so I also use the BlackBerry Launcher to take advantage of the bright red sparks.

Using different email clients has been my way of substituting the Live Tile approach of a separate tile for each account. Microsoft really got that right with Outlook. The Hub offers pinning separate icons for each account but it doesn't work properly unless you use the BB Launcher.
I was playing with the BlackBerry launcher and was going to use it as the default. But there are certain tweaks on it I'm not a fan off. So I'm using Nova instead. I've added certain tweaks from the BlackBerry Hub+ such as the redactor and the privacy shade. I used Cobalt on XDA to install and then uninstall and reinstalled in the play store app to everything else. I'd like ro use the BlackBerry calendar and the notes app. Otherwise I'll use one note.

The only thing I want is to better set up the MSFT calendar on it. I think I'll use a similar sort of set up on the personal once I sort that out. Some of the duplication is understandable but annoying.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's a very nice screen. A Samsung panel, I think. It's not quite done...getting close. 20200202_191248_HDR.jpeg20200202_191238.jpeg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Got no skin in the Superbowl...

I'd prefer the Chiefs win.
While I wasn't going to cheer for Andy Reid while he was in Philly, I'm ok with him getting the win. Always seemed like a solid dude.

Niners are built well, as they will be in the hunt again next year.

Pat Homes II (son of former Mets pitcher Pat Homes) is a monster. Cannot wait to how well a potential rivalry between Mahomes and Lamar Jackson in the AFC develops.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
While I wasn't going to cheer for Andy Reid while he was in Philly, I'm ok with him getting the win. Always seemed like a solid dude.

Niners are built well, as they will be in the hunt again next year.

Pat Homes II (son of former Mets pitcher Pat Homes) is a monster. Cannot wait to how well a potential rivalry between Mahomes and Lamar Jackson in the AFC develops.
I'm glad KC won, since this is their 1st win ever in the history of the franchise. I agree with you regarding SF. They are also great. This game was refreshing in that it didn't involve the usual suspects of late.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad KC won, since this is their 1st win ever in the history of the franchise. I agree with you regarding SF. They are also great. This game was refreshing in that it didn't involve the usual suspects of late.
KC fans will tell you it's Superbowl win #2 (1970 - Superbowl IV was the first one over Frank 's Purple People eater Vikings).

Overall, it was s good game. A shame someone had to lose.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babra4151