WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
See, I think HMD were onto something with the Nokia 8, as flawed as it was. Offer something clean and fast, with one unique selling point in the upper mid range/budget flagship market and sell the hell out of it, like Oneplus does. But they remembered they were Finns and dredged up the bad parts of old Nokia pkaybook.

I would have loved this phone at the 6" size with expandable storage, 3500-3700mah, Android One, two very good cameras, Qi and IP rating. All that for $600. They would have worked because especially in USA, Oneplus hadn't fully gotten hold yet. Remember Nokia didn't have as much brand pull here as others, especially LG. But they had way more than Oneplus, for example. Now, I don't know if they can pull it off. If Oneplus lands on another carrier, it'll be harder for HMD in the US.

HMD says that's what they're doing this year. Good luck.
I agree with you. I wonder if OnePlus has ironed out their issues with availability, though. It seems like they always have some glitch whereby orders are slow. Nokia could have the edge if their products are available at launch.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. I wonder if OnePlus has ironed out their issues with availability, though. It seems like they always have some glitch whereby orders are slow. Nokia could have the edge if their products are available at launch.
I think they have. From what I remember, they're trying to get on Verizon too officially. They're running the risk of over stretching themselves. We will see how they navigate 2020.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I was really looking forward to rolling the dice and using the 9 Pureview as a daily driver. Again, I think they nailed a lot of elements...it's just where they missed, they missed badly.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Spotted a Lumia 950 as a daily driver yesterday including a shattered screen glass. Guy said he couldn't find a replacement screen for a good price.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So yeah, I finally own a 9 Pureview.

Initial impressions:
- there are two things I really dislike, the gestures and the FPS. Whomever thought that FPS was ready for launch should have been either shot or left for a senior cabinet position in the current US administration after sneaking it past the lead engineers somehow. I'll see if Android 10 makes a difference, but I think I'll just get a tempered glass and go circa 2014 with an old school unlock.
- the gestures I guess I'll deal with, as much as I'm not a fan.
- in-hand feel is the same as I remember in store, even better.
- screen is really, really good.
- the phone is as a slippery as a recently impeached US politician giving a speech. Case mandatory.
- camera is slow, but we will see if Android 10 will help (I doubt it).

Overall, I'm pleased with it...and I haven't put the SIM in. I wish my friend's dad could use one. As a semi pro photographer, I think he'd embrace the challenge of these cameras and get some fine results from it.
This is pretty much all the issues my wife had with it on top of the lack of camera button, which being honest it should have had. That and she just found it too big for her hands.

It is very slippery. Even on what might be a flat surface. So be careful with it. It will slide off things if not in a case.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
This is pretty much all the issues my wife had with it on top of the lack of camera button, which being honest it should have had. That and she just found it too big for her hands.

It is very slippery. Even on what might be a flat surface. So be careful with it. It will slide off things if not in a case.
I put it on the bed and it was moving, just to show you how slippery the damn thing is. That was just crazy to see.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's amazingly horrific to see in the face of this pandemic called the Corona virus the amount of asshats on the train here openly coughing and sneezing. Sometimes you just to skip the @$#! out of them to say "keep your germs to yourself."

Sadly, most of the people I see doing this look like Laura. It grinds my gears in a way you won't believe.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's amazingly horrific to see in the face of this pandemic called the Corona virus the amount of asshats on the train here openly coughing and sneezing. Sometimes you just to skip the @$#! out of them to say "keep your germs to yourself."

Sadly, most of the people I see doing this look like Laura. It grinds my gears in a way you won't believe.
The two annoying things these folks do are that coughing bit and standing in the middle of high traffic areas, always expecting people to go around them like the obstacles in life that their social privilege presents. Sometimes you wanna trip and slap, but don't want to add to the free room and board in NYS Dept of Corrections statistics.

And of course, I see the one brotha with the haphazard sneeze and one regular culprit yawning showing off shoddy dental work. And it don't help it's raining that type of rain that gets people sick. #Triggered.

Yeah, I need to go to both of these happy hours after work today.

#Rantover.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So yeah, I finally own a 9 Pureview.

Initial impressions:
- there are two things I really dislike, the gestures and the FPS. Whomever thought that FPS was ready for launch should have been either shot or left for a senior cabinet position in the current US administration after sneaking it past the lead engineers somehow. I'll see if Android 10 makes a difference, but I think I'll just get a tempered glass and go circa 2014 with an old school unlock.
- the gestures I guess I'll deal with, as much as I'm not a fan.
- in-hand feel is the same as I remember in store, even better.
- screen is really, really good.
- the phone is as a slippery as a recently impeached US politician giving a speech. Case mandatory.
- camera is slow, but we will see if Android 10 will help (I doubt it).

Overall, I'm pleased with it...and I haven't put the SIM in. I wish my friend's dad could use one. As a semi pro photographer, I think he'd embrace the challenge of these cameras and get some fine results from it.

Omg you got one! I'm glad that you'll get to use it. Thank you for sharing these starting impressions, I look forward to hearing more from you.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I put it on the bed and it was moving, just to show you how slippery the damn thing is. That was just crazy to see.
I'm still not happy with the FPS on the X1 and my wife doesn't like it on the 5.

I may need to do a clean install on my phone I think the last update messed up the camera.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I wish I could discuss some if the @$#! I see om the clock here. The overarching theme that always comes up is:

"The Truth is stranger than fiction."

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Omg you got one! I'm glad that you'll get to use it. Thank you for sharing these starting impressions, I look forward to hearing more from you.
I'm waiting for a tempered glass I ordered to cone in. I may test drive it for a few days as a daily driver substitute. If I do, I'll post a review here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di