What Exactly Is This For?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Strange Account Sign-In.PNG
Good morning,
I've been having this pop up for about a week and a half on my Surface Pro 4. If I clear it, it just pops back up five seconds later. If I type in my Microsoft Account password, it just vanishes then reappears almost instantly. I figure it has something to do with Office 365 but I'm not having any sync issues or anything like that. Honestly, I don't know what it is. Could someone more experienced then me let me know?
Thanks,
Zachary

ClintRo

May 28, 2015
Visit site
You may want to go on Microsoft and change your password. The Cnet.com and us Malwarebytes and run a scan... Maybe be nothing, but you can't be too safe.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
View attachment 137137
Good morning,
I've been having this pop up for about a week and a half on my Surface Pro 4. If I clear it, it just pops back up five seconds later. If I type in my Microsoft Account password, it just vanishes then reappears almost instantly. I figure it has something to do with Office 365 but I'm not having any sync issues or anything like that. Honestly, I don't know what it is. Could someone more experienced then me let me know?
Thanks,
Zachary

Looks like Outlook prompt to me.

igobydave

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
You may want to go on Microsoft and change your password. The Cnet.com and us Malwarebytes and run a scan... Maybe be nothing, but you can't be too safe.

Before anything I would follow ClintRo's advice and do whatever scans possible to be confident this is a legitimate com surrogate window. Com surrogate is another name for dllhost which is sometimes spoofed in Trojan/virus attacks.

Having said that: Do you use two-factor verification for your Microsoft Account? If so, you need to enter an app password in the password field. When you don't enter the right password it doesn't prompt you. It just disappears and comes back again as you described.

Info on app passwords and Microsoft two-step authentication:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12409/microsoft-account-app-passwords-two-step-verification

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Before anything I would follow ClintRo's advice and do whatever scans possible to be confident this is a legitimate com surrogate window. Com surrogate is another name for dllhost which is sometimes spoofed in Trojan/virus attacks.

Having said that: Do you use two-factor verification for your Microsoft Account? If so, you need to enter an app password in the password field. When you don't enter the right password it doesn't prompt you. It just disappears and comes back again as you described.

Info on app passwords and Microsoft two-step authentication:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12409/microsoft-account-app-passwords-two-step-verification

I do use two-factor authentication, of course. I'll run my scans to make sure then I'll go fetch an app password. Thanks for the help guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babra4151