What would it take for you to come back to Windows Mobile?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
People are always interested in new and interesting.things. They want to see their phones do more and more. With no new apps w10m is stagnant and boring. Sure, it's stable as a rock but there's nothing interesting about it now that the honeymoon is over and now it just lays in bed like a dead fish.

It needs apps, apps, APPS!

Furthermore, the idea of a phone running windows 10 is very enticing. I'd like Microsoft to see a surface like she'll that has a screen and keyboard that I could plug my phone into and just run that. There's a million ways to slice the bread but I would like to see some one with cutting edge innovation to do that so our phones would begin to be our main hub for the rest that we do. Microsoft teases us with continuim but that's a half measure. They should create some type of prototype laptop/surface shell that runs the full version of windows 10.

Well if your feeling impatient there's this - GPD Win Windows Game Handheld

Shame it doesn't have LTE though. Hopefully the next version will. China always makes interesting stuff.

donald sherman

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Fluid functionality between user, apps, and OS. Over the past year, I've bounced back and forth between Android and W10M. If you allow Google/Android to do it's thing, it becomes evident rather quickly that the functionality of Android is far superior to that of W10M. But, all of this is based on my own user experience and needs. I'm sure others might disagree. Also, apps. MS desperately needs to solve their lack of apps problems.

I'm the same and I bounce back and forth between iPhone and w10m. I like WP10, the look , the live tiles and the ease of using it, but between crashes and lagging performance I go back to iPhone . What I don't like about the iPhone is it is locked down so one can't customize like you can on WP.

Brett Sites

May 31, 2013
Visit site
A new flagship phone that works on ALL networks. A sense of devotion to the idea of Windows everywhere and not just in markets they don't think have a big enough draw. A sense that if they are moving on to the next big thing that they aren't leaving anyone hanging for a couple years at a time and releasing new hardware in the interim. It's not tough to do, but Microsoft is HORRIBLE at marketing and staying true to those who are their best advertising via word of mouth.

romaink

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm one foot in, one out, but to get me to give up my OnePlus 3:

• Say something meaningful soon
  • Give a long term commitment to the platform
  • Release a high-end device with full Windows 10 on ARM within the next 6 months
  • Give me the option to sideload APKs and eliminate the app problem.

That's it! This will be the device to replace my smartphone and my laptop.

toph36

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I am still using Windows 10 Mobile. However, without a new phone on Verizon, I will likely be leaving later this year. So, that is what it will take to keep me. I would consider jumping ship from Verizon is there is a compelling enough reason to do so, but there hasn't been to this point. Although, I think without Verizon onboard, Windows on phones will never see a resurgence. Sad. I was hoping it would never come to this, where our only real options are iOS or Android.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
They need to revisit a built-in Android emulator. One where I can input my Google credentials and have access to the Play Store. That would solve the app issue and bring me back. There are only TWO apps I need and neither of them are on Windows.

Xanc6

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Still in with 950XL, spouse on 950 and 3 young adults on 950, 640 and 640. However a Courier form factor with latest w10 on arm would definitely tempt me to change my 950XL

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Interesting how many are focusing on the phone. I'm still in with a 950 but find myself moving closer and closer to jumping ship when apps I wish I had, like AllTrails or Chase bank and others my friends use make me consider other platforms. Or when I look at new cars and see how many support Apple Car play or Android and often both, but not my phone.

At this point it seems like UWP apps that would run on a phone and a pc are the only thing that might attract developers to create that app base. But also seems less and less likely to happen.

Kizzy Catwoman

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
For me it would be a decent phone with decent specs running an os that is out of beta. And apps. All the ms apps for other platforms plus first party apps for mainstream things. I am on android and iOS. Between them they do everything i want but i loved the fluidity of wp 8.1 and that was lost with wm10. I got rid of the 640xl i had because it refused to log me in, so after device recovery it went back to 8.1 and refused to reupgrade to wm10. So it is in its box gathering dust.

I am using an elephone p9000 on marshmallow and i love it. Cost ad much as my lumia 640xl but is a much better phone all round.

Jeff Bramwell

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I switched to Android about a year ago. I've hated that decision every day since. However, my company provides me with a phone that I don't have to pay for (i.e. it's a company plan) and they only work with Verizon. Since Verizon does not have any decent/new Windows phones I switched to Android (S7 Edge).

If Verizon had a current/decent flagship phone that was fully supported, I'd be more apt to come back. While I've enjoyed (well, maybe not enjoyed) having the full selection of apps in the Play Store I've never been too hung up on the number of apps.

That said, I'd have to say that my ability to trust Microsoft to keep/maintain the products that they provide around for a while has diminished over time. So, I'm not sure I'd ever jump back on that bandwagon even though I'm not totally happy with Android.

Great question!

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say it, but at this point, I'd come back to a 'Windows Mobile' (I say that loosely), if it were a real MS developed live tile skin on top of an Android device. That's about it. I don't believe a word they say anymore.

MattGallant

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I haven't left... nor will I. My HP x3 is just fine (my 6th Windows phone: Focus, 900, 920, 1020, 640XL, x3) . The day I have to use iOS (ick) or Android (double ick) on a daily basis is the day I stop using a smartphone... which wouldn't be so bad really.

zigzagr63

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I hated to leave the windows platform because I really did like it and I always tried to get the latest and greatest windows phone. Unfortunately some of the apps that I used weren't being supported any more and there's nothing more frustrating than having an app that is having an issue and the developer either doesn't respond or they tell you they don't support the platform anymore. Worse yet is if it's an app you paid for. Unfortunately for my work I also had to switch because they don't support windows mobile. So are apps a big part? I would say yes only because a phone for a lot of people is a tool and not just a phone. My wife is keeping her L950 because she uses it as a phone only and it has everything she would need. I'm hanging onto my L950XL just in hopes for now and believe me I am hoping that windows can build and come back because I do think it's the best mobile OS still.

CX1

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I never would have switched if it wasn't for the 100% lack of devices on my carrier. They were going in the right direction adding the underlying Android bits allows apps to run. Of course they nixed something that would have cemented the user base and grown new.

Xanc6

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
in addition:
about these zillions of apps on iOS and Android, how many of them are used by a single downloader more than once or twice, so let's discount these apps (the fart apps etc.). apart from bankimng apps, office apps social media apps and picture improvement apps, there is a hell of a lot of trash on iOs and Android. I recall a recent article on the real useage of apps / age category (teen, adult, etc.( was pretty revealing. Can't find the article anymore...

Pappa Ed

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft needs to introduce a game changer. This device needs to be nothing short of earth shattering. As with the first iPhone, it needs to be something people will not just want but feel they MUST HAVE. Anything else will be just more of the same. Microsoft has shown that they have skills with the Surface lineup. Whatever it is, if it ever is, they need to be in it to win it heart and soul or not even bother. I'm a current 950XL user. I hope to continue being a Windows Mobile user. It up to you Microsoft.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deadpool7788