What's wrong with Gorilla Glass 2 on L920?

nagatofm

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Using this phone for a month now and only a week without screen protector. I must say that I'm a really careful user. Two of my previous phones were used for more than a year without a single scratch on the screen. When I bought L920 I've immidiately covered the screen with some screen protector, but had to get it off (it was collecting static charge somehow, thought it could ruin my phone when it hit me for the second time) a week ago. Today I was clearing the screen and noticed that it's all covered in little scratches. They aren't visible until you start looking for them, but the fact that I've somehow scratched Gorilla Glass 2 (though I've used phone VERY carefully: no falls, no keys with phone in the same pocket, etc.) puts me in depression. My previous phone (Galaxy S Advance) had Gorilla Glass 1 covering the screen; I've dropped it several times on the asphalt (walking in a crowd on the street talking on the phone is a bad idea), once it dropped right on the screen and even slightly slided towards, but had no scratches on it at all! How could GG2 scratch in a completely clear pocket when GG1 survived a real-life crash test?
How could this be even possible? And is there a way to recover these scratches?
And how is your Lumia doing? Have you faced this problem?

Jonah Travisano

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes the 920 needs a screen protector .... I can't find it now ,but I read in one of these forums about there being a layer on top of the gorilla g2 and that is what is getting scratched not the glass. Sorry I know that doesn't help with the problem.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
No. No scratches on my Lumia 920. I do not use a screen protector and while I consider myself a care full user the device has dropped to hard tile floors several times.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

nagatofm

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
That's really strange that user experience varies so much.
I think I'll try to just stop care and start enjoy using the phone.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Actually now that I read this yes its weird. I had the 920 for few months and some minor scratches appeared to the bottom of the screen. Since then I have been using the Ativ S for 9 months or something and I have dropped the device many times, still there is nothing on the screen, not a single scratch. Bad luck with the L920 only or what?

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what you're doing with it, but my L920 is completely free of scratches on the screen - the polycarbonate has a variety of scratches, but absolutely nothing on the screen. The only problem I had was when I dropped it face-on to poured concrete (i.e. The type of concrete with lots of 'spikes'. It hit one of the spikes and cracked, but even then only cracks and not a scratch... The new glass is free of blemishes (less fingerprints)...

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Not a single scratch on my Lumia 920's screen after 14 months of use. Never had a screen protector on it. Just the normal fingerprints and they wipe off easily with a microfiber cloth or my t-shirt.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
There is a fingerprint resistant covering called oleophoebic or something. This is often the layer that gets damaged.

Gorilla Glass is great against keys and drops (although it is susceptible to shattering). But if you get fine grains of something like sand and wipe them against the screen you will get fine scratches. All it takes is once... drag it across a tabletop or floor, or stick it in a pocket with sand on it and it WILL scratch.

nagatofm

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I've never put my L920 in a dirty pocket (or a pocket that can contain sand or any other little particles of anything). I think that can be because I've used my Lumia in gloves once. They could be somehow dirty or covered with some sand or anything.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
My 920 had a few scratches on through very careful use after a month or so. My previous phones (808 and N8) were used far more and for much longer and both remained completely scratchless.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My 920 had a few scratches on through very careful use after a month or so. My previous phones (808 and N8) were used far more and for much longer and both remained completely scratchless.
Most likely because of the 920's curved glass. Remember, it curves outward.

If there's anything that the 808 PureView and the N8-00 have, it's that their screens are recessed, providing protection to the screen.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Actually... if you do get a chance. Grab your old phone, and give it another close look. You'll likely seen some small barely visible scratches. I tend to be hyper critical of any new device I get... led me to return 2 brand new Lenovo Yoga ultrabooks, and exchange my Nokia Lumia twice. While I did use my final Nokia for nearly a month without the protector, I caved, and ended up getting one just to protect my investment.

mirzafida

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Using this phone for a month now and only a week without screen protector. I must say that I'm a really careful user. Two of my previous phones were used for more than a year without a single scratch on the screen. When I bought L920 I've immidiately covered the screen with some screen protector, but had to get it off (it was collecting static charge somehow, thought it could ruin my phone when it hit me for the second time) a week ago. Today I was clearing the screen and noticed that it's all covered in little scratches. They aren't visible until you start looking for them, but the fact that I've somehow scratched Gorilla Glass 2 (though I've used phone VERY carefully: no falls, no keys with phone in the same pocket, etc.) puts me in depression. My previous phone (Galaxy S Advance) had Gorilla Glass 1 covering the screen; I've dropped it several times on the asphalt (walking in a crowd on the street talking on the phone is a bad idea), once it dropped right on the screen and even slightly slided towards, but had no scratches on it at all! How could GG2 scratch in a completely clear pocket when GG1 survived a real-life crash test?
How could this be even possible? And is there a way to recover these scratches?
And how is your Lumia doing? Have you faced this problem?

Maybe someone have used your phone and scratches it :D
you should review user POLL on this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/206400-must-poll-how-your-920-protected.html

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
No scratches on mine after more than a year of daily use. As has been pointed out, the microscratches are likely on the oleophobic layer rather than the glass itself.

freemind

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, from what I have read here now, it means scratches are common :) ... unfortunately it happened to me too.
I had to buy screen protector to stop it, sadly. And it does NOT matter which layer being scratched, still there will be scratch, which will not look nice. I did not expect this from L920! This one experience is 'thumb down' for my L920, despite that I am of course still very happy owner.
And as other said, I too am very careful!!!! Very :)!
p.s. someone mentioned that user experience varies so much. I can agree with it! Something not right about it.

samnokiauser

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I never use screen protectors and all my phones stay pretty scratch free for the 3 years that own them before my phone contracts expire. So when I purchased my lumia 920 due to all the hype I heard about the GG2 on the lumia 920 and how indestructible it is and saw a video of a guy hacking at his lumia with a knife and keys, i was optimistic that this phone will never see a scratch.

So..... you can expect how disappointed I was after owning it for 1 year, finding around 3-4 light small scratches on the phone. I did however admittedly perform the key scratch test the first day I bought the phone but there were 0 scratches made after my test. Not sure where these scratches could have happened but this screen seems to be no different from any other phone I've ever owned. You will get small scratches if you don't place a screen protector.

For those brave people who don't place screen protectors like me, always keep your phone in a pocket with no other objects, watch for zippers and belts, keep your phone face up when you place it on a table away from all liquids, and always place a decent rubber case (not those cheap super thin plastic ones) in case you drop your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Properusbuy