where can I get an extra charger for the Surface Pro 4?

RichBrown68

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
As mentioned earlier, today I got, and have now tested, a charger off of Amazon by Emallee. It works just fine, but one stipulation: For that $50 you save (It costs $25), you get a significantly slower charge time. It's been charging about 2 hours now and got from 20% to 55%. So yeah, about 6 hours to get a full charge. But if you just want a separate charger to use overnight while you're in bed (as is my case), it will be fine.

alank73

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I feel reassured of the concern of the charger question. Since I had previously the Surface pro 2. The charging cable will eventually break due to regular use and bending. And on the my new SP4, even with the thicker rubber wrapping the cable I can see this happening later on.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I chatted with the MS Store about getting a spare charger for my SP4 m3 and she said it was too new for chargers to be available separately yet.

Terb

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I just picked up a Microsoft power supply, box says its for Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4 & Surface Book, was purchased at BBuy.

tennisfan#AC

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I chatted with the MS Store about getting a spare charger for my SP4 m3 and she said it was too new for chargers to be available separately yet.

I have been using the spare charger I purchased for the SP3 for my SP4 with no issues at all. So I find it odd that the MS Store employee gave you that lame excuse. Oh well!

WildKarrde

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I buy almost everything from Amazon. They have SP4 (and SP3) chargers. I opted for a high powered battery and adapter for my SP4 though. I'm actually quite surprised, even when gaming I haven't gone black screen yet after a whole days use. Because of this, I haven't been in too much of a hurry to get another charging cable... though it has been in the back of my mind. I'll probably get one after the first time I go black screen.

D3xt3rSM

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
As mentioned earlier, today I got, and have now tested, a charger off of Amazon by Emallee. It works just fine, but one stipulation: For that $50 you save (It costs $25), you get a significantly slower charge time. It's been charging about 2 hours now and got from 20% to 55%. So yeah, about 6 hours to get a full charge. But if you just want a separate charger to use overnight while you're in bed (as is my case), it will be fine.

Are those times for charging while using the SP4?

Tuono

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I picked up one of these on Amazon, as it's more compact to travel with day to day.

Tomeasy? Portable 12V 2.58A 30W Laptop Charger 12" Tablet AC Adapter For Microsoft Surface Pro 3 PSU-36W Power Supply Travel Adapter

I does charge the SP4, but not if the SP4 is under a heavy load such as running a full virus scan, where the system shows 'plugged in, not charging'.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I buy almost everything from Amazon. They have SP4 (and SP3) chargers. I opted for a high powered battery and adapter for my SP4 though. I'm actually quite surprised, even when gaming I haven't gone black screen yet after a whole days use. Because of this, I haven't been in too much of a hurry to get another charging cable... though it has been in the back of my mind. I'll probably get one after the first time I go black screen.

Me too. Decided since the charger (OEM) was expensive and hard to find, that my second charger would be more versatile. So I got the big 35000 QI battery with tons of charging options for ALL my gadgets. (SP4, SP2, 1520, 950XL, 2520.....)

This thing is awesome since I can charge the SP4 twice with it. Or, run off it for many many hours. All while being without a 110 Volt outlet.
Perfect for the modern gadget warrior.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Dude buy one from eBay. You can buy the "Surface Pro 3" charger since the connection is the same and it's probably cheaper than the "Surface Pro 4" one. I bought a second "Pro 3" spare charger for the office and it works perfectly.

Personally, I would make sure I am buying the official Microsoft charger and not some cheap knockoff.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I splurged and got the OEM MS charger for the SP4/SP3/Surface Book mentioned earlier. It is pricey- $79 USD, but it seems very well made. It's 65W so it should charge it fast.

If you're considering it, be aware it's much bigger and heavier than what came with my SP4 m3; I'm not familiar with the supplied i5/i7 charger.

MS tech support assured me it is compatible with my m3, and there's no documentation stating otherwise.

As an aside, I've been looking for a car charging option. I went with a Stanley 12V Inverter someone suggested in another forum despite the Surface documentation stating they don't recommend such devices. Lots of people have reported no problems using them and I'll only rely on it as a rare last resort. I'd like to hear from anyone with actual negative experience or information, though.

Last edited:

WildKarrde

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
That works for me, got one coming in tomorrow.

Just as a follow up, I got mine, and it works great, but one caveat. I'm not sure it's actually the same as the OEM charger. The finish on the little box seems cheaper than the Microsoft branded one, and the charging light stays on whever it's plugged into the SP4 or not, and whether the SP4 is actually charging or not. This seems to be a signature of non-OEM chargers.

That said, if it is a knock off, it's one of the best, and is still completely worth the price.

Sharon Kay

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
You probably already have bought it by now ... but just in case anyone is in the market ... I went to Best Buy online and they have extra chargers for sale. If you look carefully when you bring up the item on the page, there can sometimes be an open box item for cheaper...I don't have enough posts to show a link but here is a screenshot. I have bought my dock and an extra power cord that way. Now I don't have to go upstairs or downstairs to get the cord...I have one on each level and in my case!

bestbuy open box.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di