Where's the features from Pocket PC, Windows Mobile 2003, WM5, WM6, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I was a user of Windows Mobile and held on to it till the HTC Trophy was released on Verizon several years ago. I can say after my experience with Windows Mobile, that there is not one feature that I miss or that I want. Windows Phone for Microsoft was a total reboot for them. Windows Mobile by the end of it's life was a disaster and in my opinion is the whole reason Windows Phone is fighting for market share. The biggest battle aren't iPhones and Androids, but the mindset that was left behind by the ghost of Windows Mobile. Even today, I still get people who haven't used a Windows Phone relate to it to Windows Mobile. This is what Microsoft is fighting, getting people to forget what Windows Mobile ended up as.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
A smartphone is neither a simple stereo nor a simple television yet. Way to exhibit fallacious reasoning. Nobody could possibly take this post seriously.

I would call this as the pot and the kettle. No less valid than the OP. You want to discuss the minus in WP8 verses WinMo but you refuse to accept any opinion that isn't in line with yours.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is the purpose of this thread?

To understand why Microsoft isn't delivering features faster (sure doesn't seem like it)?
To accuse Microsoft of incompetence and/or laziness?
To vent personal frustrations?
To determine how many other people will join in pissing on Microsoft?

I don't get it.

Some people are obviously frustrated. Some of those frustrations apparently have their roots in the assumption, that pre-existing features could somehow be "drag & dropped" from WM into WP, and that Microsoftians are an utterly lazy buch of non-responsive nitwits for not having done so by now. This assumption couldn't be more false. Although I'm not satisfied with the current situation either, it isn't without reason that it is the way it is. Complaining isn't going to change anything. Either we accept and enjoy WP for the benefits it does offer, or we move to iOS or Android. Not buying a WP device is the only worthwhile way of expressing true disenchantment.

In the mean time, I would suggest looking at this thread, where AngryNil took it upon himself to list all the things the WP community has been asking for. The basic sentiment, namely that Microsoft isn't delivering what we are asking for fast enough, is identical, but the approach is infinitely more interesting and constructive.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The simplicity of the device is not the issue here; the commonality of volume controls is. In each of them, you need to turn the volume back up, after you've turned it down, if you wish to once again hear sound from the device. Way to put forth a straw-man argument. Why am I taking you seriously?

Turning the volume up or down is a reaction to the volume not being at the desired level. On a tv or stereo, you do it based on the volume of the content. On a phone, if you turn it down in reaction to the content, and it later rings, you can react to that content after it rings, but if it rings and you don't notice, you're SOL (especially with no notification center).

However, I have the opposite problem. I want my notifications silent, but to be able to jump right in to music, games, or video without adjusting the volume back and forth every time. That is an an annoying inconvenience that is a clear flaw compared to competing smartphones.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What should be a priority?

Running a PC's kernel on your new phone smooth and bug-less?

or

Adding those tiny features that 20% of user base care about because they had it in WM?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
just go look at some of the top requested features on the WP answer board. several of those were in WM so it is incredibly tacky to say only 20% of the user base wants them.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
just go look at some of the top requested features on the WP answer board. several of those were in WM so it is incredibly tacky to say only 20% of the user base wants them.
How do we know that the folks who frequent that board are not mostly former Windows Mobile users?

I've never bothered with that board, but I never used Windows Mobile (actually never considered it back in the day--I was a Symbian / BlackBerry user then).

I was put off by the Windows Mobile UI compared to even Symbian / BBOS. The reason I chose Windows Phone is because it wasn't Windows Mobile.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Ok make them 40%?

Still user base is in millions - a few thousand means nothing, you know that right?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
C'mon, now, even if your numbers are correct, a few thousand means a lot more than nothing. Those few thousand have a right to their opinion just as much as the rest. They just need to understand that neither the rest nor Microsoft are wrong, stupid, or anything else for not putting their wants and needs at the top of the list.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
The simplicity of the device is not the issue here; the commonality of volume controls is. In each of them, you need to turn the volume back up, after you've turned it down, if you wish to once again hear sound from the device. Way to put forth a straw-man argument. Why am I taking you seriously?
Are YOU being serious right now? A smartphone does multiple things and a tv set does one single thing, same as a stereo system. A smartphone handles media and calls so common sense dictates that those volumes should be independent so as to not interfere with call volume was messing around with your phone. Also, there's notification sounds and alarm sounds to be taken into account. That's 4 independent volumes right there that need to be implemented for total user control and customization.

Are you guys just putting up with this because Microsoft made it that way or because you really think this is how volumes should work on a smartphone that does a variety of things?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The excuses the apologists are coming up with to dismiss all the anecdotal evidence presented here is not even funny anymore. Done with this thread.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire