Which screen type is better: IPS or OLED

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The 930 has an OLED screen.

Personally, I prefer AMOLED screens with deep blacks and saturated colors. Yes, they may not be natural, but this is my preference. I like the display of my 820 (and Moto X when I tried it) vs. LCD's, as in my Nexus 5. The AMOLED's are good for features such as Glance and Active Notifications in the Motorola phones, as they don't use as much battery. The blacks don't require light to activate the pixels.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
And, if u happen to have sensitive eyes, then after 10-15 mins in dark ur eyes start to tingle after watching the burning image of AMOLED screen. IPS is so much easier on some1 sight.
OLED is something between, has all the strengths of AMOLED, and is easier on eyes, like IPS.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
OLED display alot more better than IPS however it cost more to make a OLED display than IPS or AMOLED display.

The SONY Vita uses a OLED display and it brilliant, the best display I have seen either though it a low resolution it the best I seen!

LG Flex and LG TV (that cost about ?10,000) also uses an OLED display as well.

I would love to see more devices use OLED but again it the price and it cost alot however the benefits are awesome.

And don't forget burn in. One of my 822s had it. It was from the live tiles.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Some nonsense in this thread. AMOLED is OLED. There are no "OLED" displays in mobile devices that *aren't* active matrix OLED displays. FFS.

There are passive OLED's, and they aren't being using in tiny HD res mobile screens.

Also, as for over saturated colors, etc, first, you can adjust that sort of thing with the Lumia Black firmware. Second, yeah, best mobile display ever? Samsung Galaxy S5 Display Technology Shoot-Out

Having gone AMOLED/OLED whatever you want to call it, I would DEFINITELY give that the edge to two otherwise equal phones. LCD's have never been the best display tech. CRT's were (hell, STILL, see: calibrated reference Trinitron) far better, plasma screens, and now I would take an OLED display over them in mobile. Though they have advantages in affordability, mostly due to ease of production. This is especially true in the tablet sizes I think.

GerOrBa

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Take into account that not all AMOLED screens are equal. All AMOLED in the Nokia Lumia WP8.X family are Pentile Matrix (except for the Lumia 820 and derivatives) which means that Red and Blue subpixels are shared between contiguous pixels (in order to use less elements), and that means that it is more difficult for this devices to accurately represent the intended colors. This is why I personally prefer IPS LCD, colors are more natural and bright (if calibration is accurate). This and the extra 16GB is why I think L920 is superior than L925.

The Lumia 820 however has a gorgeous 4.3in non-pentile AMOLED screen (each pixel has Red,Green and Blue sub-pixel Elements), so this screen is capable of displaying super-saturated primary colors, and an accurate palette, whith "perfect" blacks. I think this is the screen I like the most of all the Nokia Lumias, and of course its only downside is the low 480x800 resolution. Other than the resolution, this screen is truly gorgeous.

Because I use to be a Display Engineer it's difficult for me to accept pentile-AMOLED screens as anything other than cost-compromised displays (superior technology ruined by cost constrains) and although technically they do have the resolution they claim, they lack an important number of sub-pixels that affect color accuracy and sharpness (compare small font text). However according to Anandtech Site, the Samsung S5 which has a pentile AMOLED screen (since this technology is mostly a Samsung thing!), is now very close in color accuracy to IPS screens, which means that I soon may need to rethink my bias against pentile AMOLED.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the higher res certainly helps -- I remember seeing the first pentile screens at the lower resolutions and they were disgusting. Even at 1280*768, zee dots are so teeny! I canna see them!

One other thing I forgot is apparently Sammy won't crank brightness in the sun. I find it handy when my phone does that. Nice touch.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Ever since I owned my first AMOLED device, the Nokia E7, I was hooked with this display technology. I enjoy the deep blacks and the colors, even though most people claim they are oversaturated.
The only real drawback IMO is the increased burn-in, or better burn-out threat. The individual pixels are more or less like candles: They degrade over time and lose brightness, hence producing burned-in ghost images on bright backgrounds.
I just recently played with a Lumia 1020 in a store and was shocked to see how bad that effect was there. However that device had the display always on at full brightness and kept playing some demo mode over and over. So this is hardly a real-world example.
Yet you keep reading statements from people owning AMOLED devices which suffer from ghost images of virtual keyboards, status bars, browser bars and common static icons.

IMO this is the most important problem which needs to be addressed or at least heavily improved as the technology evolves.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
It is a matter of preferences.
I prefer IPS because of the better viewing angle, better white background, more natural color, durability, and better life span.

What I like about AMOLED is the deep blacks, and rich colors. But unfortunately, the durability and lifespan is not good. Especially screen burn in and the ghost image stuck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di