Why did you go with WP8?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If you're that close of deciding between WP8, BB10 and iOS... your best bet would be to go to a store and play with each one. Although I feel inclined to comment that hardware specs are not everything when it comes to iOS and WP8 (not sure how smooth BB10 runs)... iOS clearly is the weakest, but iOS still runns smoothly (at least on current devices ;)

jbigelow

May 14, 2013
Visit site
XBox Music and XBox Video. Then I realized Video wasn't supported on WP8, I was pretty pissed about that for a while but I like the UX of the phone so I stuck with it rather than returning it for a HTC One. I recently got a Surface RT so I can get my XBox Video that way so I'm mostly happy with Msft again for the time being.

John Couch

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I had a Samsung Epic that worked great - until Sprint put out a particular update. After that it never worked right again. Same for a co-worker with same phone.

So I replaced that with an iphone. When Windows Phone 8 came out I really loved how it worked and how it looked. Don't care for metro on my desktop, but on the phone it just seems like the best design for the task.

I don't use many apps, so that was never a big concern. Of the one's I did, all but 2 are available. The two I miss are SiriusXM and Pedometer. Very happy with the decision. Started with HTC 8x, now have L928.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I should be getting my Lumia 521 tomorrow or Tuesday. I figured at $130 (from Walmart) it's not a huge risk for me to try out WP8 and see if it's for me. If I like it I can always upgrade to a 928. If I hate it I can sell the 521 and try something else.

Thanks for all your comments.

I'm very excited to try Windows Phone!

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This decision is turning out to be more difficult than I expected.

I'm taking a serious look at the Lumia 928, BlackBerry Q10 or Z10, and iPhone 5. (I'm so over Android after having a Galaxy Nexus for a year. It's not in the picture for me.)

I can see the good and bad in each platform, and I wish I could just take the best elements of each and create my own "super smartphone".

A week ago, I was set on going BlackBerry. But after reading the WPCentral forums and product reviews, Windows Phone 8 is really growing on me.

Last night I started making my own side-by-side comparison chart between the Lumia 928, BB Q10, BB Z10, and iPhone 5. I was kind of surprised by what I've come up with so far.

On paper, the BB10 devices have the best overall hardware and the best OS, yet they have the weakest app support. iPhone 5 has the weakest hardware (by today's standards) and dated OS, but the best app support. The Lumia 928 is somewhere in the middle. And that right there is a big reason I might go Windows Phone.

The more I research, the more I think Windows Phone really has the potential to explode in popularity as a mobile computing platform - especially as it matures over time. And if it does gain that momentum, it will be because it has found that sweet spot - that balance between form and functionality, between communication/productivity and content consumption.

Of all the platforms I've been researching, I think Windows Phone has the most potential. The question is...will Microsoft do things right and harness that potential? Or will they miss the boat like did with Zune?

If I can feel confident enough in Microsoft's ability to sustain and grow Windows Phone into the future, then I will gladly give it a try and adopt it as my next smartphone of choice.
also a good mark for Nokia is they have the most amazing customer service.

zkSharks

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I first took interest in Windows Phone because it was simple, fast, and new. The UI and UX approach was more or less new when compared to what was already out there from iOS and Android.

I'm taking a serious look at the Lumia 928, BlackBerry Q10 or Z10, and iPhone 5. (I'm so over Android after having a Galaxy Nexus for a year. It's not in the picture for me.)

After spending hundreds of hours using and working with Galaxy Nexuses, I don't blame you. :wink: But before you count Android out entirely, perhaps take a look at the HTC One and Nexus 4. This isn't an attempt to sway your decision, rather I think that using the two devices with much more recent and refined iteration of Android might help you identify what you do and do not want among the other platforms you're considering.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
been using winmo 6.5 several years back. then went to android. honestly i enjoy android. for some reason i started looking at windows again and checked out a couple of lumias. was surprised at how far windows has gone from the old days. couldn't resist. got the lumia 920. i still have my android though. i'd say they complement each other. i won't bash any of them. i like them both.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aalee663