Wi-Fi Hotspot

MichaelLopez

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I was wondering how I could make my Surface Pro 3 a Wi-Fi hotspot because I had the SP2 before and to make it such was simple all I had to do was create a local connection and share the Wi-Fi connection I was already on but now that option to share the connection is not appearing. I'm currently undergoing my second round of chemotherapy and when I was here the first time I created a hotspot which then I used my Xbox One to connect to since the Xbox can't connect directly to the hospital's Wi-Fi since the terms need to be accepted and the Xbox does not allow that so I accept them on the Surface and then connect the Xbox to the Surface. So if anyone can help me make the SP3 a hotspot that'll be great and I can be set for Halo MCC and download more DC Spotlight songs!!!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The version of W8.1 should be the same, so the steps you took should work...

Control Panel > Network and Internet >Network Connections > right click the adapter that is connected > click properties > click the sharing tab > check "allow other users to connect through this computer's internet connection."

That is the only way I know to share a WiFi connection.

I hope you get well and keep up the fight. I lost my grandmother and uncle to cancer, and my best friend is fighting it.

MichaelLopez

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
That's the method I tried which did not work this time around thanks though and thank you both I hope I'm done with chemotherapy soon.

MichaelLopez

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had it for almost two weeks and I also applied all updates unless Windows update doesn't update the drivers but I did all firmware updates.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I wish I could be of more help. What is the model of the WiFi adaptor? My i5/128GB's WiFi adaptor is a Marvel Avastar. With a driver date of 9/16/2014, driver version: 15.68.3059.117.

MichaelLopez

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Mine is the same both the device and driver version.

If I were to get this device where it is a female Ethernet port and a male USB port would that be able to give the Xbox a connection? I would plug the USB into my SP3 and plug in an Ethernet cable from the Xbox to the adapter, does anyone know if that would work?

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That's the method I tried which did not work this time around thanks though and thank you both I hope I'm done with chemotherapy soon.

Did you go to the "Settings" to check off the Internet protocols you want shared?

P.S. glad to hear the chemo is almost finished.

wertzius

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
The wifi driver is not capable of sharing the connection atm. Microsoft deactivtated it, because they had problems with it. Maybe they will fix it in the future.?

saispag

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
​You can use something called MAC Spoofing to get around this, basically you accept the terms on your Surface which registers the MAC address on the WiFi network and then you change your Xbox MAC address to match so that it gets accepted.These are the instructions for doing in on the 360, there are settings for it on Xbox One they just might be under slightly different settings (would check but not at home right now)
Hope you get it working and get better soon!

1. Access your wireless computer

2. Load the webpage and accept the TOU page, make sure you can browse to a few pages after doing so!

3. Bring up CMD and type in ipconfig/all.

4. Locate the wireless network adapter and find the “Physical Address”. Write this down.

5. Turn off the computer.

6. Turn on the Xbox.

7. Go into the Network Settings.

8. Select Configure Network.

9. Move over to Additional Settings.

10. Move one down and select Advanced Settings.

11. Select Alternate MAC address.

12. Type in the Physical Address you wrote down (no spaces or colons).

13. Make sure you have hit done at the bottom. This will save the setting and now you can test the connection!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember the webpage that I found it on, but here's the solution I came up with. I created a batch file (.bat) that has the following in it:
Code:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<WhateverSSIDYouWant> key=<IUseMyPhoneNumber>
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
I saved that to the desktop as StartNetworkSharing.bat. Make sure that if you are using notepad to create it that it doesn't have .txt after the .bat. You'll have to turn off the checkbox in Windows Explorer that says "Hide extensions for known file types".

Now right-click that file, and run as administrator. You'll see a command window open and then close really quick. It might be a good idea to copy/paste those lines into a command window (started as administrator by hitting CTRL-X then Command Prompt (Admin)) the first time, that way if there's an error you'll see it.

Now go into Network and Sharing Center (right click the network icon in the System Tray), and click Change adapter settings (left side). You should now see the new connection that you just created. Right click on the network connection that is actually connected to your WiFi, probably the one with Marvell in it, choose properties, and click the sharing tab. Click the checkbox to allow other network users to connect, and under the drop-down list, choose the new connection you just created, to share the current connection with that connection.

Once you do this, I have found on my wife's computer that she has to click the batch file every time to start the connection, but doesn't have to go into the sharing center for that setting. So just a couple clicks - making sure to right click it and run as administrator, and her connection is shared.

The caveat that I have to add is that this procedure does not work on my SP3. It works on my wife's Lenovo Yoga 11S. But I believe that the problem with my PC is that I have Hyper-V installed, which also seems to cause other WiFi problems (like when my PC wakes from sleep, I have to turn WiFi off and back on or it will give me a limited connection). It is possible that this doesn't work on any SP3, but I have no way of telling. Hopefully it is just because of my Hyper-V installation.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The wifi driver is not capable of sharing the connection atm. Microsoft deactivtated it, because they had problems with it. Maybe they will fix it in the future.?

I have the ability to share my Wifi connection on my SP3. Mike has the same device and driver versions as I, so he should be able to as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny