Will the aluminum get scratched?

stga77

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm very tempted to get myself a Lumia 1020 soon, but I'm a bit worried about the fact that the buttons and camera housing is made out of aluminum.
Is it really scratch resistant enough?
Wasn't that one of the reasons why Nokia chose ceramic zirconium for the buttons and the camera-stripe on the 920 instead of aluminum?
Since the phone will rest on the housing every time when lying on a table It's a pretty important detail I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm very tempted to get myself a Lumia 1020 soon, but I'm a bit worried about the fact that the buttons and camera housing is made out of aluminum.
Is it really scratch resistant enough?
Wasn't that one of the reasons why Nokia chose ceramic zirconium for the buttons and the camera-stripe on the 920 instead of aluminum?
Since the phone will rest on the housing every time when lying on a table It's a pretty important detail I think.

the buttons are really hard to scratch and the camera module is easier to scratch though

stga77

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
the buttons are really hard to scratch and the camera module is easier to scratch though

That's what I thought.
Isn't it strange that Nokia decided NOT to stick to the ceramic layer instead, or are there other reasons why it should be better with the aluminum choice?

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Cheaper I guess? Guess it'll be easier to modify the logo tho on the back. Some white paint will make it look good :)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, for S&G's I just took my car keys to the power button of my brand new 1020... yes, I'm serious (and I've drop tested it on carpet a few times too).

I'm pleased to say that the keys DID appear to leave scuff/scratch marks on the button, however, when I rubbed over the button with my thumb, it "wiped off" and there's no visible damage to the button.

So while I'm not going to call it scratch proof-- I wasn't being gentle, but I'm not going to risk major damage-- it's not fragile either, and I think it will be fine.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Not what I wanted to hear, but something that I feared.
To bad when Nokia is making a big thing about the "scratch resistant" polycarbonate body. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
It shows marks in the black coating of the camera. Ive seen real scratches in display models and from at&t workers that had them in their pockets. I would say the polycarbonate part doesn't need protection but the camera bezel really needs protection.

giffis

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I am using phone for 3 days now. I used a coin to scratch the camera bezel. And I am convinced myself it WILL NOT get scratched with normal use. And I will not test with a rock.

stga77

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Now that some time has elapsed is there anyone with a 1020 that have experienced some scratches on the camerahousing?
If there is, I wonder if that person could post some pictures showing those scratches?

Thanks!

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Had my 1020 for about 3 weeks now. Not a single scratch or scuff to the camera housing or the keys. Havent set it face down on a rock or ground it against a pile of broken glass though. So that prob explains why I am not seeing any scratches like other users.

giffis

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
No scratch yet. And I like the camera bump now. I work in an office where browsing non-technical stuff is kind of restricted. So I use my phone a lot and when it sits on the table I don't need to bend to see the screen. So tap to wake the screen and camera bump helps reduce the neck pain.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
After owning this device for 2-ish weeks, I can say that the camera housing does scratch, but not way too easily. Yes, my Lumia 1020 does indeed wear the scars of battle, but it's not a scratched up mess, and you don't really notice unless you're studying the device carefully. It's a bit disappointing as to how it scratches, but the device itself more than makes up for it.

Headfx

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I stupidly dropped my black 1020 down the back of a cupboard after less than a week and I now have two scratches on the aluminum housing, one on the edge and annoyingly one on the face of it too. I'm hoping the housing is detachable/replaceable but I'm not holding up too much hope (will have to look for tear down vids). Hasn't affected operation though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di