Will Windows Mobile ever succeed?

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The problem is the app gap. Nothing more.

You don't understand the problem if you believe this. There are several factors but the app gap is simply a byproduct of a small user base.

In reality, the biggest issue is MS's inability to work with carriers and get all their phone models in all carrier stores. And that has been their issue going back to 2011. As a Sprint customer in 2012 I wanted a 920 so badly I jumped to AT&T even though it cost me more money. When my contract expired in 2014 there were even fewer WP choices on Sprint and worse, MS had exclusives with some carriers so you might not even be able to get the phone you wanted. Today you can't even find a WP phone on Sprint's site. So I reluctantly moved to Android.

People want to walk into a store, pick out the phone they want, set up a payment plan, and walk out with their shiny new phone. The vast majority of cell phone users do this. Yet for most WP phones you have to go online, find a phone that works with your carrier, and pay full price up front. Sorry, that's not going to work with US customers.

You can throw a million more WP apps in the store and you would barely see an uptick in the user base. Why? Because quite simply people can't buy what they don't see when they go phone shopping. Until that is fixed WP will always be a niche OS. And even if MS does get all of their phones in all carrier's store expect a long uphill battle. Not that it can't happen if they offer some great phones, but it will be a challenge.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So you are saying that there's nothing to do?

Cheers

No, MS can still comeback but it will take several necessary steps. And after they have given up so much ground it will still be a huge challenge.

1. Make some killer phones. The holy grail 'x86' phone, if possible, would a big plus.
  2. Get all their models on all carriers. No exclusives.
  3. Make them available as contract/lease phones. Few people want to pay full price up front.
  4. Get phones in stores in front of customers. Buyers (US at least) like to walk in and try the phones they want to buy.
  5. Get the big name and popular apps on (or back on for those that left) WP
  6. Advertise like crazy.
  7. Subsidize at first, if possible.

These things have to be done in any way possible. If MS does, it actually has a good chance to come back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria