Will Windows Phone continue to avoid to make a File Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel Camuso

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
The things you have always have pros and cons. Some would say their WP are full of pro and null of cons. This is not true. The fact is that sometimes to the person the pros win the cons, and this make you like or not a thing. In my case the pros win the cons, that's why this is my second Lumia! I try to work around all the problems this platform have. That's why I don't switch back to Android.
In my head I think about an elegant libraries solution that isn't ugly and strange like in android, but, still, very powerful just like in Windows. There is no other way. To access the files we have to access the files!

csjjjjjjjjjjj

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Back to topic, File Manager would be nice addition for sure, but it deffinitely needs to be done in a way doesn't affect OS security. Personally, I would be perfectly fine if I could organize my photos to the folders. Possibility of one more folder downloaded content (online content, email attachments, etc) should be enough.
Then if there would be 4 fixed folders (Office, Music, Photo, Downloaded) all hubed under 1 Live Tile, where I cuold easily organize my data, I would be happy and wouldn't need anything else.

Exactly...with only one place to go to find the files. This is clean, clear, and new users will say likewise. The current status, multiple hubs with 'discoverable' caveats, is killing the WP8 experience.

Navya KrishnaMohan

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to say this but after a few day of research i learn that File manager/explorer is not a missing feature but Microsoft try not to include this into WP. i understand this is because they want to have a high security OS. but without that third party app won't able to access our file like Metrotube's download videos won't show up in Music + Video hub. if i download a pdf file from other source i need to choose an app to run them so if i choose Microsoft own pdf reader then Other third party app can't access that file, also in HD Photo Viewer it can't really do anything to photo, we can't delete edit or send them we need to use system app that we know it sucks. this is only a few things that bug me on this platform.

So i want to ask will WP eventually get a decent File manager in future update? if not i'm sorry but to quit the platform. i don't know for all of you thinking about this feature but for most people a file manager is a must for an OS.

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I have been using Nokia Lumia 520 for the last 3 weeks and it takes genius to figure-out some common things! At best it is a hodge-podge of some good stuff, some mediocre and some utterly stupid stuff. Whatever the rationale MS is coming up with for lack of file manager, going back to fundamentals of computers, applications and data need to be separated. Let app keep its configuration, security data private but the data it generates should be sharable/usable by any app as long it is allowed by user. User should have freedom to use which ever app to open/edit/listen/play the data files. There got to be need for a global storage where user should be able to set access control if required.

Skydrive bla bla cloud storage are great for backups, access to some files from multiple devices. Otherwise accessing music/photos/videos over Internet repeatedly is utter stupidity and great limitation as we move around with limited or no access to Net and expensive proposition. Keeping a copy of data on local storage is a great convenience.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
It is a push to force people to buy there product. Sky drive costs money. They try to make you route everything through sky drive now so eventually you will simply buy more storage

csjjjjjjjjjjj

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft wants the phone adopted by enterprise customers, so let's think this through...

As an IT admin, imagine me explaining to the employees that they:
1) Cannot download a file. It must be opened by a registered app with that file extension.
2) However, you cannot rename a file's extension.
3) Cannot attach your file to an email unless its a jpeg or office file (gdr3).
4) Cannot work offline with cloud files when you travel or have bad reception at work.
5) Cannot see files copied to phone, unless office files or media.

Or, explain to the IT staff that they:
6) Cannot launch exe files from sdcard storage (MTS protocol).
7) Cannot see files within folders of Documents--flat file structure only.

With minor changes to the OS and SkyDrive, I'd like to say:
1) Long-press the link in IE and select "Download to SkyDrive". Open SkyDrive and you'll see it in the "Downloads" folder, which is local storage.
2) Rename any file's extension using SkyDrive. Or, long-press the file in SkyDrive and select "Open with..." and select the app.
3) Attach any file to an email by browsing SkyDrive. Look in "Downloads" folder if you recently downloaded it.
4) Want to work offline when you travel? Long-press the folder in SkyDrive and select 'Sync'. If you have a big SDCard, I'd suggest you select SDCard when prompted for sync destination.
5) Want to see files copied to the phone? You can't see system files, but SkyDrive lets you see what's in Documents, Downloads, or the SDCard.
6) What, you can't launch exe files? Oh, select 'Mass Storage' after you plug the phone in.
7) Browse within Documents folder (not flat).

What kind of crazy future would that be???

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
A very very vocal minority want a file browser. I had a file browser in Windows Mobile and I can count the number of times I used it on one hand. If you have to go into a file browser to do something on a small screen phone then something is tragically wrong design wise.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
1) Long-press the link in IE and select "Download to SkyDrive". Open SkyDrive and you'll see it in the "Downloads" folder, which is local storage.
2) Rename any file's extension using SkyDrive. Or, long-press the file in SkyDrive and select "Open with..." and select the app.
3) Attach any file to an email by browsing SkyDrive. Look in "Downloads" folder if you recently downloaded it.
4) Want to work offline when you travel? Long-press the folder in SkyDrive and select 'Sync'. If you have a big SDCard, I'd suggest you select SDCard when prompted for sync destination.
5) Want to see files copied to the phone? You can't see system files, but SkyDrive lets you see what's in Documents, Downloads, or the SDCard.
6) What, you can't launch exe files? Oh, select 'Mass Storage' after you plug the phone in.
7) Browse within Documents folder (not flat).

I don't know about the details, and some things may be too "file-managery", but as far as the general concepts are concerned, I think your are spot on. This is where WP is headed.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
If you have to go into a file browser to do something on a small screen phone then something is tragically wrong design wise.
1) It's not about having to use a file browser. It's WANTING to use a file browser. Some people just want complete control of their files and a file browser is how you do it.

2) Countless numbers of users use file browsers on Android on screens ranging from 3 to 11 inches. There is nothing wrong with that design, because it is what people want to use.

3) I'm not sure what you mean by "tragically wrong" because having to go to different apps for different files is pretty unnecessary and convoluted if you can simply go to your "documents" folder to open a specific document and have the app open up with it ready to be edited.

csjjjjjjjjjjj

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
A very very vocal minority want a file browser. I had a file browser in Windows Mobile and I can count the number of times I used it on one hand. If you have to go into a file browser to do something on a small screen phone then something is tragically wrong design wise.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Problem is, that "vocal minority" includes developers and IT--ones that create apps and promote usage.

You've only used a file browser a handful of times? SkyDrive is a file browser, I'm sure you've used it more than a few times, and it works well on a small screen. Myself and others are just asking for a bit more functionality, like downloading files and renaming file extensions. Don't worry, "when" such features are added you may not even notice right away, but the vocal minority sure will.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Problem is, that "vocal minority" includes developers and IT--ones that create apps and promote usage.

You've only used a file browser a handful of times? SkyDrive is a file browser, I'm sure you've used it more than a few times, and it works well on a small screen. Myself and others are just asking for a bit more functionality, like downloading files and renaming file extensions. Don't worry, "when" such features are added you may not even notice right away, but the vocal minority sure will.
Skydrive is basically a ripoff scheme where a company says "you're not allowed to have a file browser...except on our cloud servers".

People are so brainwashed into thinking that they shouldn't have file browser on their local device that they actually think that file browsers are "dying" when they just moved it to the cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charleszip