Windows 10 asks for Product key, but Windows is activated

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
So a long long time ago, one of my Vista computers was upgraded to W8.1 (download). And now when mounting then running a Windows 10 ISO (Which I have used only once), it asks for a product key. There is no skip option. Do I have to install the latest updates to 8.1 before proceeding (last time I used the computer was a month ago), or do I create another ISO? or is there a third option.
(Preferably no clean installing)

dozer167a

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
So a long long time ago, one of my Vista computers was upgraded to W8.1 (download). And now when mounting then running a Windows 10 ISO (Which I have used only once), it asks for a product key. There is no skip option. Do I have to install the latest updates to 8.1 before proceeding (last time I used the computer was a month ago), or do I create another ISO? or is there a third option.
(Preferably no clean installing)

Hello,
ok, from what I understand from your post, you upgraded a Vista machine to Windows 8.1 with licence, and Windows 8.1 was fully activated.
Again from what I read from your post is that you upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 directly with a Windows 10 iso, is this correct? If this is what you actually did, then YES it would be correct for Windows 10 to ask for a Activation code, as you have not gone through the normal free upgrade process. What should of been done on your Windows 8.1, was for you to ensure that you had all Windows updates fully up to date, whereas you would receive the get Windows 10 app icon in the bottom right corner of your taskbar. After reserving Windows 10 you would receive a message either on the 29th of July or shortly after stating that Windows 10 is ready for you to download. Once you had fully downloaded Windows 10 it would become fully activated automatically. At this point you may download the appropriate Windows 10 iso from Microsoft should you wish to do a fresh install.
Upon doing a fresh install, you would not be required to enter any product/serial key, as windows will activate automatically after you have already upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10, and the new hidden activation code would activate your fresh install automatically.

dozer167a

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Reinstall Windows 8.1 and fully update through windows update then upgrade through the Get Windows 10 app. Then if you wish you may download the Windows 10 iso appropriate for your pc, and do a fresh install. Hope the info helps. Regards dozer167a

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz