Windows 10 build 16176 discussion (Redstone 3, Fast)

thurask

May 11, 2013
Visit site
WC: Microsoft rolls out Windows 10 build 16176 and 15204 for PC and Mobile Insiders | Windows Central
MS: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...76-pc-build-15204-mobile/#JgtaQfF7G6GkYeEr.97

Fixed on PC:

• Windows Subsystem for Linux Gains Serial Device Support: Windows COM ports can now be accessed directly from a WSL process! More information can be found on the WSL Blog.
  • You can now hold down the power button on your device for 7 seconds to trigger a bugcheck. This will only work on newer devices that don’t uses legacy ACPI power buttons.
  • Narrator will work again on this build.
  • We fixed the issue causing some apps and games to crash due to a misconfiguration of advertising ID that happened in a prior build.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the Start menu and Action Center having a noticeable framerate drop in their animations on certain devices if transparency was enabled and there were open UWP apps.
  • We fixed an issue from the previous build where the Action Center could get into a state where dismissing one notification unexpectedly dismissed multiple.
  • We fixed an issue where the Clock and Calendar flyout was unexpectedly missing the agenda integration for some Insiders.
  • We fixed an issue from the previous build (Build 16170) resulting in Surface Books unexpectedly doing a disk check after waking from sleep due to it bugchecking during sleep.
  • We fixed an issue from the previous build resulting in Win32 app text sometimes not rendering, for example in File Explorer, until logging out and back in.
  • We fixed an issue where the Extensions Process was suspended inappropriately during Connected Standby, resulting in Microsoft Edge becoming unresponsive on wake if any extensions had been installed.

Broken on PC:

• Apps that use the Desktop Bridge (“Centennial”) from the Store such as Slack and Evernote will cause your PC to bugcheck (GSOD) when launched with a “kmode exception not handled” in ntfs.sys error.
  • Some Insiders have reported seeing this error “Some updates were cancelled. We’ll keep trying in case new updates become available” in Windows Update. See this forum post for more details.
  • Double-clicking on the Windows Defender icon in the notification area does not open Windows Defender. Right-clicking on the icon and choosing open will open Windows Defender.
  • Surface 3 devices fail to update to new builds if a SD memory card is inserted. The updated drivers for the Surface 3 that fix this issue have not yet been published to Windows Update.
  • Pressing F12 to open the Developer Tools in Microsoft Edge while F12 is open and focused may not return focus to the tab F12 is opened against, and vice-versa.
  • exe will crash and restart if you tap any of the apps listed in the Windows Ink Workspace’s Recent Apps section.

This build and version is the latest Redstone 3 build in testing for Desktop Insiders on the Fast Ring.

Issues? Bugs? Solutions? For all things Windows 10 build 16176, discuss it here.

[TIP]Basic tip

If you're having any issues with your device, try a reset.

Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > This provides you with two options: 1. keep my files and 2. remove everything[/TIP]

[TIP]Keep my files

Does just as its name describes. If you choose the setting you can reinstall Windows 10 without having to back up any of the pictures, videos, music and documents that you have stored on it. You absolutely should back up these things just in case, but you shouldn’t need to use that back up. Keep My Files requires a certain amount of free space on your device. As such, it may be unavailable to you if your device is stuffed with a lot of files. If you get an error message asking for more storage when you choose this option you’ll need to back up your files and choose the remove everything option. You could also delete any files that you aren’t using on your device and try the option again. This option will take longer than the other options.[/TIP]

[TIP]Remove Everything

Deletes every file, every setting from your device and gives you a blank copy of Windows 10 to work with. You’ll need to add any files you have backed up to your device again [/TIP]

Last edited:

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
anyone on SP2 loaded from creator's 15063.138? I'm contemplating but my sp2 is the only working windows machine in the house :(

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Ugh... second build in a row that I've had trouble installing... Getting this error every time...

• Windows 10 Insider Preview 16176.1000 (rs_prerelease) - Error 0x80091007

borge_kristoffersen

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
So far so good ...only got it on my laptop ... only issue I've found ...and it's been there since builds before x-mas? ... is that the Elan mouse-pad controlled by the Asus Smart Gesture (asg) app won't deactivate when a mouse is connected... so after every darn build I have to fix it.

Also the fn+f9 combo won't work. So have to remove the ASG app and reinstall ..sometimes twice .. with reboots between ... before the option to configure it to disable automatically when a mouse is connected works again.

It's just a small issue ... but annoying as duck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FegleyArnold