Windows 11 is about to get a lot better on multi-monitor setups

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
Except that MS refuses to do anything about their god-awful scaling problems when it comes to multiple monitors. It is a problem that persists through EVERY one of their UI frameworks.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I have 3 monitors on my main PC, all running at different refresh rates (and to lamdumbguy, they used to run at different scaling factors too). Is the new feature that Windows will automatically change refresh rates depending on what's running? Or, does MS believe there's a problem with running different refresh rates on different monitors now?

It always seemed simple and intuitive to me: right click on Desktop -> select Display Settings -> choose monitor then Advanced display -> Choose refresh rate, then go back, and select for each additional monitor.

Same with HDR and scaling factors -- all can easily be set per-monitor in current versions of Windows and have been for a long time. Dragging windows across monitors causes the content to auto-adjust to the settings for the destination monitor. All what you'd expect.

My main issue with different monitors, and maybe this is what lamdumbguy was referring to, is that if you do set different scaling factors for different monitors, then there can be some weird effects in certain cases. For example, if you have Adobe Reader installed it doesn't scale the same way as Outlook, so if you try to read a PDF inside Outlook preview on a monitor with a lower scale factor from the main window, it will not display properly. But that's a pretty niche problem that probably doesn't affect a huge number of users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria