Windows Phone 8, Support for backup/restore when owning multiple Windows Phones

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how many people would also think this would be a handy feature but i own soon three Windows Phones (within a couple of weeks) and wish to be able to backup and restore them separately from each other using the same Microsoft Account,

it would be great having this support added or maybe account alias's for our microsoft accounts for example ??????1@hotmail.com, ??????2@hotmail.com, ??????3@hotmail.com....i have added a uservoice suggestion to vote on at the following link...

Please could we have backup/restore support for multiple Windows Phone 8 handsets using the same Microsoft account ?€“ Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Obviously the features for a true 'backup' are not there yet and we will be getting that is WP8.1 ...but my Microsoft Account ALREADY has a different profile for all my Windows Phones. Every time I set one up I had a new entry. I used a Red 920 for a week before I sent it to my sister, and when I finally got my Yellow 920 it created a new phone entry on my profile.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Obviously the features for a true 'backup' are not there yet and we will be getting that is WP8.1 ...but my Microsoft Account ALREADY has a different profile for all my Windows Phones. Every time I set one up I had a new entry. I used a Red 920 for a week before I sent it to my sister, and when I finally got my Yellow 920 it created a new phone entry on my profile.

not sure on this as I have just logged in to my second windows phone and when i login to Windowsphone.com it now says my phone is a nokia lumia 520, but i always use my lumia 820 as my main phone, it doesn't support more than one phone it seems, unless I am missing something... :( p.s i am looking forward to the Windows Phone 8.1 update too, wish it were here now, some awesome extra features :)

Last edited:

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
not sure on this as I have just logged in to my second windows phone and when i login to Windowsphone.com it now says my phone is a nokia lumia 520, but i always use my lumia 820 as my main phone, it doesn't support more than one phone it seems, unless I am missing something... :(

sorry just spotted on Windowsphone.com you can switch between phones it mentions other phones on the main drop down window once logged in thanks for the info, also though if I backup my lumia 820 data, then backup my lumia 520 data i don't want to have to worry about using the correct backup each time as i don't believe there is a way (according to ms support) to identifiy which backup is which unless you note the time of backup everytime.....anyone have any ideas :(

Last edited:

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
When you go to restore, it asks which profile you want to restore. So choose the 520 profile for the 520, the 820 profile for the 820. Pretty simple, but there isn't really any documentation about it.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So very welcome!! If they're the same model, name them while connected via USB. Windows Phone app, File Explorer or even Media Player, I think, will all fit the bill. I honestly came across that by poking and prodding one day. Don't forget, support lines are, generally, staffed by underpaid & just barely trained folks stuck on top of each other in call centers thinking about their next smoke break.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So very welcome!! If they're the same model, name them while connected via USB. Windows Phone app, File Explorer or even Media Player, I think, will all fit the bill. I honestly came across that by poking and prodding one day. Don't forget, support lines are, generally, staffed by underpaid & just barely trained folks stuck on top of each other in call centers thinking about their next smoke break.

lol yes so true about the support, Some are good and helpful though, but many are like you mention, p.s i have one lumia 820 and two lumia 520's so that extra tip you gave will be handy thanks again..

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Again, very welcome. You should just need to rename one of the 520s to keep it all neat and proper. Oh, BTW, I used to be one of those CSRs (for Sprint & DirecTV), so I can speak from experience about many former coworkers. 8)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yep, had the same deal with the two 920s I mentioned earlier. They just keep popping up as another Lumia 920...so I went in and renamed them by the colors they were :) Easy enough to remember!

And it doesn't matter WHAT job you are in, there will always be people that hate it and are just there for the paycheck and it shows!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maritku