Windows phone 9.0. who's excited?

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Please also make the native calendar and tasks in WP 9 functional rather than the dog it is right now and I promise you that enterprise will welcome you with open arms!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
WP8 OR WP8.1 will not be upgradable to WP9 100% SURE... IT MUST BE HAPPENING... #Business
Yup, because microsoft never allow wp7 users to update wp8. The same thing will happen.

Is it that hard to understand that a past event does not guarantee a future event under different circumstances? Do you go outside thinking that it is going to rain and a bird is going to crap on your head today because those events occurred yesterday?

How is it possible to be so devoid of logical thought?

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think we shouldn't hype this up. Microsoft haven't specifically announced WP9 yet, it is unclear at this point that "One Windows" they're pushing includes Windows Phone at this point.

Let's just wait and see what they announce on Sep 30th, I highly doubt WP9 will be announced though, they probably still need time to work it out.

Unless i'm wrong and somewhere says Windows 9 includes windows phone.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow. THIS thread lost it's way in a hurry. Instead of talking about if we are excited for WP 9 or not, we are discussing if we can depend on MS to upgrade our phones to it or not. All of this is funny, of course, because nothing in this even close to official. But, what the heck: I will play along. Slow news day anyways.

-First of all, the announcement in September is for Windows 9. Or Threshold. Or Windows XP2. Or Modern Tile 01. Or whatever they settle on calling it. Overall, it is the new computer OS. And it is the important one, as Windows 8 di not exactly blow the doors off of sales. It is vital to get people excited for this and that all support for it be immediate. Enterprise companies will need to start moving off of Windows 7 devices in the next couple of years and whatever MS pushes out in Sept has to be business ready as soon as they reveal it. Fair or not, Win8 has a bad rep. This will show what direction MS is rolling and if they will keep their bread and butter multi-billion dollar consumers happy.

-Windows Phone 9 will not be out or even hinted at until 2015. March? April? No matter. Windows 8.1 came along about November last year, WP 8.1 really came out for the general masses this past month (August. I am not counting the developer preview). Expect the same time frame.

-As far as upgrading our devices, I totally understand those that do not think WP 8 devices will get the next OS. MS deserves this abuse and any doubts coming their way, as they have left Windows Mobile and WP7 users high and dry in the past. However, I am a optimist long after most are or even long past it being sane to be, so I will make this prediction:

Look at your handsome looking WP. Oh, those sexy tiles!! Now, is it a quad-core, heavy on the RAM if you please device like the L1520, Icon, L930, or Samsung ATIV SE, or the new HTC ONE-style? Then yes, I believe MS will make available to you the next version of WP. Do you have a trusty but basically older device like the L920, L925, L928, L820, Samsung ATIV S or NEO, or the HTC 8X? Then my guess is that you may want to enjoy the WP 8.1 update. I feel that those devices and the budget line of WPs may not be getting it.

The first two tidbits are true, the last is my opinion.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Regarding upgradeability, the WP7 to WP8 change was completely different. It was from Win CE to NT. Do you think MS has some new OS no one's heard of that's so powerful they'll abandon NT for it on the phone? While desktops are still using NT? That doesn't make any sense. Does anyone think WP9 apps will be anything besides universal apps?

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Regarding upgradeability, the WP7 to WP8 change was completely different. It was from Win CE to NT. Do you think MS has some new OS no one's heard of that's so powerful they'll abandon NT for it on the phone? While desktops are still using NT? That doesn't make any sense. Does anyone think WP9 apps will be anything besides universal apps?
+10000000000000000

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
While everyone else seems to only be bothered about whether WP9 is going to be upgradable or not (Course I am too...but as a L520 owner guess its too much to ask for)
Am I the only one missing my beloved Cortana...cause I couldn't find her anywhere in that video

The video was made back in 2013, where there was no cortana.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I will get excited when they:

* eliminate the junk/scam apps from the store
* introduce interactive tiles, something to compete with Android widgets
* bring an equivalent of Apple's Continuity/Hand-off service so Windows 8.X devices and Windows phones can hand off tasks to each other via Bluetooth
* all the major gaming engines are on Windows Phone to the same level of commitment they have to Apple's new Metal API, DirectX 12 should help
* bring Cortana to a superior level to both Google Now & Siri
* make more toggles available on Action Center, and generally make Action Center better

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I have long lost my excitement. The level of disappointments is so high and the wait so long that they should make a miracle to make me happy again. What's more irritating is that the platform is so nice that it feels really annoying that they keep delivering miscarriages.

Last edited:

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I have long lost my excitement. The level of disappointments is so long that they should make a miracle to make me happy again. What's more irritating is that the platform is so nice that it feels really annoying that they keep delivering miscarriages.

True. I'm feeling the same. Its like they just HAVE to mess one thing up or they wouldn't be satisfied

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone 9 or Windows 9?
Windows phone should merge with RT?
My friend, a report also claimed that they are going to reveal windows phone 9 as well. And m sure that microsft is now more curious to gain windows phone users in global market. that is why MS is providing updates frequently. Whether it is PfD or firmware. Keep waiting. In future we will say proudly that I know how to operate Cortana and most Personal OS the WINDOWS PHONE.

Last edited:

CowardlyLions

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Excited that I'll soon be on an obsolete OS and Microsoft will try to go damage control by releasing a rushed WP 8.9? You bet I am.

It's best to expect the worst when dealing with a company too big to be damaged by screwing over their userbase.

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
And I have a solution for WP8 users because they are getting hopeless. Folks, Microsoft started to work same on both OS, whether it is WINDOWS or WINDOWS PHONE. W8 is supporing W8.1 and WP8 supporting WP8.1 as well. Now the point Is that if W8/8.1 will get Windows 9 update. then, it is sure that WP8/8.1 devices will also get WP9. Now, do anybody know that Windows8/8.1 is getting windows 9?

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I will get excited when they:

* eliminate the junk/scam apps from the store They wont, they might delete scam apps but not junk(unless it is paid app)
* introduce interactive tiles, something to compete with Android widgets Widgets is a battery waster, interactive tiles are different
* bring an equivalent of Apple's Continuity/Hand-off service so Windows 8.X devices and Windows phones can hand off tasks to each other via Bluetooth the first feature to have phone in computer and computer in phone is ubuntu..
* all the major gaming engines are on Windows Phone to the same level of commitment they have to Apple's new Metal API, DirectX 12 should help
no apple thing here, skip that idea, directX 12 is coming to windows phone soon
* bring Cortana to a superior level to both Google Now & Siri
google now does nothing, cortana is better than siri
* make more toggles available on Action Center, and generally make Action Center better
they are doing it

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Nice concept but for me it looks too Windows Phone 7ish. WP8 has a lot of bounce and movement and 8.1 even more. Task stacking looks cool but pulling menus from the side like old school spring loaded shades makes it feel too Windows Mobile to me. And no way could I get away with managing sound with those tiny volume controls with my big hands. Now I know its just concept and concepts have their place but it doesn't feel modern to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz