Windows Phone Keyboard Design is a major Issue

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I normally hate querty keyboards (like the good ol' fashion number pad wherein you have to type the key a couple of times to get the letters), even having my android and an ipod touch for almost a year, still haven't gotten used to them...Miraculously, WP does the trick. I had less mistakes and was a little quicker in typing compared to android's or IOS's

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Not allowing third party keyboards is asinine. I just got an Android for a company phone and using a swype keyboard and I am reminded how great it was to have.
Far too many limitations set in this OS. There is no harm in allowing third party keyboards. Maybe MS is just afraid of getting embarrassed because devs would give us options that blow MS apps away. Things like browsers, email, and keyboards can all be done better by third party devs.

xWisp

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 900 is still 7.8 not 8
the keyboard is far less intelligent in wp7 than 8 I have found. WP8 one just autocorrects way better, and its honestly the best software keyboard I have ever used over anything on android or on iOS

tylo5

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I actually believe that typing on windows phone is much easier. I dont even have to look at my hands to type. Having uses Android for 3 years before, the android keyboard is awful. And from my experience, the iPhone has the worst keyboard. Most of the texts I get from my friends that own iPhones are full of typos. Talk about a narrow keyboard! Microsoft has put alot of research into creating this keyboard. Im sure you can look up the video that WPCentral put up from the team that built the keyboard. It really goes into the psychology that went into it.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I actually believe that typing on windows phone is much easier. I dont even have to look at my hands to type. Having uses Android for 3 years before, the android keyboard is awful. And from my experience, the iPhone has the worst keyboard. Most of the texts I get from my friends that own iPhones are full of typos. Talk about a narrow keyboard! Microsoft has put alot of research into creating this keyboard. Im sure you can look up the video that WPCentral put up from the team that built the keyboard. It really goes into the psychology that went into it.

I think Android stock keyboard is better. And then of course you have swype and many others to choose from.

For those of you that think the keyboard is great, good for you. But nit all feel that way. MS should allow other to make keyboards. Why not? What the **** harm does it do to give your customers choice?

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The WP8 keyboard is a learning keyboard. Over time the bar above the keyboard predicts what you want to type. Eventually all you need is the first couple letters of a word and the keyboard will predict what comes next.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
One if my biggest problems with they keyboard may just be the aspect or size of it. Its almost too big. But maybe its just the 920 I have. Often times I hit the bottom row of letters instead of the space bar. From top to bottom, itbjust seems too big and movement from top row to space bar is unnaturally to big a gap for me so I have to make a very conscious effort to reach further.

I will never get a phone this large again, but that is another topic.

I still see no reason to lock out devs from making a keyboard. What purpose does that serve except to limit choice?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I am used to phones with a hardware keyboard so making the jump to software keyboard was scary.

So far I really like the WP8 keyboard. The one thing I will say... I hate having to switch the keyboard to numeric keys. most of my passwords have several numbers so I have to jump between the keyboard with letters and the one with numbers several times while typing a password. That is annoying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria