windows store downloads take forever

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
So when speedtest.net measures my download speed at over 40Mbs, steam can download games at over 5Mbs, Netflix and online games run just fine.

Why does windows store download at dial up speeds? Shouldn't take half an hour to get an app. Oddly it can take hours on my desktop because it just sits on downloading.... with no progress.

Windows S is bound to be an instant failure if this problem persists. I've got these horrible download speeds on my desktop, Asus T100, and Surface Pro 3.

It feels like no matter what computer or Internet connection I use, it's absurdly slow, the windows store even fails to load search results regularly.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Yeah the Store still has a lot of kinks to work out, and development is absurdly slow for some bizarre reason. Windows' development in general is a bit on the slow side but the Store more than anything else.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I've had these issues when Battery Saver is on. It is supposed to drop an error saying the updates will be downloaded when it's off, but sometimes it doesn't say anything while keep trying to download the files. Try to check if you have the battery saver off then.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
OK, so I can confirm that with my 200Mb/s internet connection Steam can download games at the full 200Mb/s. If you are only getting 5Mb/s from Steam on a connection that measures 40Mb/s with online speed tests then you have some problem going on there beyond the Windows store. That is unless Steam has some really awful servers in your area (I've not head about such variations in service level between areas Steam sells in). In this case, you may want to investigate your own setup before you give up and blame MS. I'm not saying it isn't something to do with the MS servers in your area, but I wouldn't count out other possible factors yet.

Starboy21

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
I believe speedtest.net gives results in bits n not in bytes so if u hav 40mb(bits)per second in speed test u shud divide 40 with 8 so ur speed is around 5mb(bytes)per second * plz correct me if i am wrong *

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I've never had a store app take half an hour. On mobile, tablet or PC. Not a large game, nothing. And my internet here is really slow, its like 1gb/s, a really slow adsl, and the wifi is not 5ghz either.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Download speeds aren't determined by Microsoft. Only thing MS controls is access to an app. The transfer is determined by your connection, internet and internet hardware.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Download speeds aren't determined by Microsoft. Only thing MS controls is access to an app. The transfer is determined by your connection, internet and internet hardware.
No.

But also I have to notice, that, seems like, screened speed is not true actually. Also, the speed is not constant and depends on the stage of downloading.

Last edited:

queensoft

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
I downloaded only 2-3 apps from Store, biggest one was around 60 Mb I think, but download speed was great, no problems here.
Try changing your DNS, use Google DNS.

bakkouz

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Guys, I am late to the party but I hope this can help anybody reading this.
I have found a solution to the windows store slow download problem.
Before this I have tried everything, literally everything mentioned in the forums, resetting the store didn't work, clean boot didn't work, even a fresh install didn't work.
My solution (which i came upon by accident) was to use a different connection, or a VPN.
seems like Windows store does not like certain internet connections. My WiFi connection is very fast, and everything works fine. except for the windows store, one day my connection went down so i connected to my neighbors (different ISP) and windows store worked like a charm! when my internet connection came back i decided to try to connect to a VPN just to test my theory, so i downloaded cyberghost and chose USA and connected to it. again, windows store worked like a charm. very fast download!

So, there you go guys, Windows store for some unknown reason doesn't work on some connections and works fine on others. Well at least that is my experience. worth giving it a shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babra4151