Worried about Battery Aging

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys think repairability design / repair programs should be mandated by law to reduce e waste?

Yes. There's no reason why the surface assembly is such that you invariably will destroy it trying to open it.

Couple this with a recent announcement that Tim Cook has blamed poor iphone sales due to users repairing their old ones, and you can see that as cynical as it may seem, the goal is planned obsolescence.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty disappointed with battery life. In particular, I've noticed that my battery life is a LOT less recently.
I've got an SP5 / 2017, Core i5 machine that I use basically as a desktop replacement (pretty much permanently charging on the docking station). Purchased sometime in Feb 2017.

I just went through the battery re calibration process outlined in a Windows Central article.

I'm at 75% battery.
Design capacity is 45,000 mWh. My unit is giving me 33,000.
And today's battery life estimate is 2 hours, 30 minutes down from 3 hours, 40 minutes.

In day to day use, if I take it off the dock, it feels like a race ... can I get done my tasks before my battery dies. I can see the battery levels dropping so quickly and am constantly setting screen brightness to lower and battery performance slider to the left. Feels very disappointing.

E-waste is a huge problem and I do believe manufacturers absolutely must make their products repairable, up-gradable, etc.

Another disappointment is the fact that MS released a patch to help some older models of Surface prolong battery life (when used primarily plugged into a dock/charger). Why hasn't this patch been released for the latest models of Surface, too?

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty disappointed with battery life. In particular, I've noticed that my battery life is a LOT less recently.
I've got an SP5 / 2017, Core i5 machine that I use basically as a desktop replacement (pretty much permanently charging on the docking station). Purchased sometime in Feb 2017.

I just went through the battery re calibration process outlined in a Windows Central article.

I'm at 75% battery.
Design capacity is 45,000 mWh. My unit is giving me 33,000.
And today's battery life estimate is 2 hours, 30 minutes down from 3 hours, 40 minutes.

In day to day use, if I take it off the dock, it feels like a race ... can I get done my tasks before my battery dies. I can see the battery levels dropping so quickly and am constantly setting screen brightness to lower and battery performance slider to the left. Feels very disappointing.

E-waste is a huge problem and I do believe manufacturers absolutely must make their products repairable, up-gradable, etc.

Another disappointment is the fact that MS released a patch to help some older models of Surface prolong battery life (when used primarily plugged into a dock/charger). Why hasn't this patch been released for the latest models of Surface, too?

All valid points my friend.

The customers also need to speak with their wallets by buying repairable devices instead.

That is too bad because otherwise Surface devices are great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wasifl