wpcentral app crashing on start after 521 update

CobaltDragon

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Updated my Lumia 521 today and now the wpcentral app crashes out to start screen while it's loading. It doesn't ask me to send an email log or anything. I tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling but its still crashing on start up. This is the paid version. Confirmed by at least one other person.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i'm on a 620 and also having this issue!

forums are working normal but whenever i try to open news, the app crashes and goes back to start screen!

tried uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting...nothing worked to fix the news :/

paid version here too!

RetroMan71

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Same here...

I had this issue with dead Lumia 620 and had to install the language pack for speech which then worked. But doesn't work on my new Lumia 620

EDIT: Currently in discussions with the devs via email who told me to installed the latest update 4.0.10.8, still no fix.

Last edited:

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, can you check that you have v4.0.10.8 installed? Go to the marketplace and see if you have the latest version. This was specifically released to fix crashes on startup like this and I'm a little concerned that people are now seeing it.
Edit: Also as much information as you can give me regarding the region and language settings on your phone would be appreciated

RetroMan71

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jay,

I've been emailing you guys about this and you've been great at responding..

My Phone language is English
Region is United Kingdom
Regional format is United Kingdom (English)

Thanks

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh that's the same as mine! How can this be?? To confirm you're definitely running 4.0.10 yeah? I've emailed around those who were having problems with 4.0.9 and many of them have confirmed things are working now

RetroMan71

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah... Version 4.0.10.8 posted on 20.05.2013 to marketplace...

Just un-installed and re-installed (you never know). Tried changing all sorts of settings on the phone hoping it might trigger something... still no luck! :(

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
This has been happening to me all day, actually.

This happened to me before, and I have a theory about the problem.

This problem may be caused by problematic articles. I don't know how the WPCentral App works, so I can't comment, but every time the app crashed, I had scrolled down far enough to see the article preview.

RetroMan71

May 14, 2013
Visit site
This has been happening to me all day, actually.

This happened to me before, and I have a theory about the problem.

This problem may be caused by problematic articles. I don't know how the WPCentral App works, so I can't comment, but every time the app crashed, I had scrolled down far enough to see the article preview.

Mmmm! Could be... mine crashes before any articales even appear, so you might be onto something there.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok can you two guys send me your live ID's in a private message please?

I'm going to add you to our beta programme and try some experiments to find the cull this problem. You guys are ideal as you seem to have "troublesome" devices :)

RetroMan71

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok can you two guys send me your live ID's in a private message please?

I'm going to add you to our beta programme and try some experiments to find the cull this problem. You guys are ideal as you seem to have "troublesome" devices :)

WOW! I'm not having a good day today with technology...

Did you get my message Jay? It's not appearing in my sent messages?? Hhaha!! sigh :amaze:

mark nt

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys I am having the same problem on my 720 after the update this morning, have re downloaded the app and checked it the latest version

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, you guys all appear to be using lower memory devices (512MB)... If my flippin' Lumia 720 would turn up already so I could use it for testing maybe I could spot this issue...

As a new test, could you guys try uninstalling and then downloading the trial version instead? The trial version won't even try to install the voice commands file and if it works will prove that Microsoft's horrifically broken voice command install procedure is to blame here.

RetroMan71

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, you guys all appear to be using lower memory devices (512MB)... If my flippin' Lumia 720 would turn up already so I could use it for testing maybe I could spot this issue...

As a new test, could you guys try uninstalling and then downloading the trial version instead? The trial version won't even try to install the voice commands file and if it works will prove that Microsoft's horrifically broken voice command install procedure is to blame here.

My fingers where crossed... sadly though this didn't work! :unhappysweat:

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm this means something entirely different is wrong here... Which in some ways is good news. The bad news is that the only change between 4.0.9 and 4.0.10 was voice related, so now I'm pretty much stumped... Time to go and check my source control history. In the meantime you've all been granted beta access and I've responded to you in PM.

It's worth noting though that at present I don't expect the beta to work for you guys as it's basically the same code just with an experimental lock screen option and NFC sharing of articles. There will be an update hopefully late tonight when I get time to bash away at my keyboard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alec sander